Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How Much $$$$ have you saved  (Read 7045 times)

Hank

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
How Much $$$$ have you saved
« on: March 27, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »

;D ;D This year I have saved  between $1400.00 to $1600.00 in electric. I was total electric before I put in my Hardy H-2. My electric bills last winter averaged about $220 to $275 to heat the house. This winter my highest electric bill has been $82.14.. I also never run out of hot water :thumbup:

Farmer Blue

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
Re: How Much $$$$ have you saved
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:22:41 PM »

I have a H-4. The H-2 would have  been maxed out in cold weather when I needed over a twelve hour time  between loading. We would use 1000 gal. of fuel oil per winter. The house would be at 70-72. Last winter we had the house at 74-75 ( that made Mrs. Farmer Blue very happy) and used zero fuel oil. I started it twice to make sure it would fire as a back up. We heat all our hot water and kept the swimming pool (4x21ft)over 80 all summer.  There is nothing that works the Hardy more than heating that pool.

I would have saved about $3000 on fuel oil and the pool would have cost about $1000 in propane. I have not really come up with a figure on the hot water. The Mrs. takes longer showers now!!!!

I cut dead wood out of the woods at the farm I work last winter. I found a source that needed to clean up a lot of cut and ranked wood. I paid between $15-20 per pick-up load for mostly oak and cherry. I may have $600 in cost this year.

Hardy H4
Stihl 290
Homemade splitter on IH 656

NC4AB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Brinkley Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »

So far this year it looks like I am saving ~ 150.00 / month with my Hardy H2.  The savings should increase as the temperature drops.  I have an electric heat pump system with LP fired hot water heater, so far neither has come on since mid October.
Andy
--------------------------------------------
Hardy H2 (1987)
Stihl 011
Stihl 028
Stihl 039

d conover

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »

How do you have your water heater plumbed into the system?

I have mine completely bypassed, saves a lot of electric but the wife is grumbling because it take a few minutes to get hot water.

I have thought about installing a recirulating pump
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

Farmer Blue

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »

"How do you have your water heater plumbed into the system?"

I have my cold water to hot water heater go to the Hardy first. The hot water  heater serves as a storage tank. I have turned the temp on the thermistat down to the lowest setting approx. 105. There were a few times that if there was no hot water taken from morning to morning showers.Mrs. Farmer blue had cold/cool water with the electric turned off to the hot water tank. This now has never been an issue. The times that the temp gets below the 105 setting are few and far between. One cold shower is one too many.
Hardy H4
Stihl 290
Homemade splitter on IH 656

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »

This is my 3rd winter with the H-2.  I estimate I have saved at least $6k in propane and electric.  I use the Hardy all year long to heat hot water.  I turned on the electric tank for a couple months to see what difference it made.  I saved about $35 a month in electric.  It is a wonderful thing to never run out of hot water.