Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Refractory and air panels upgrade  (Read 3285 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Refractory and air panels upgrade
« on: December 04, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »

I visit another forum where the OWB's are discussed a lot.  Someone mentioned that CB has redesigned the combustion chamber.  I guess you simply remove the refractory brick that stands on edge in the fusion chamber and replace it with one that has a half-moon shape.  At the same time you completely remove the refractory panel that lines the floor of the firebox and that holds the grates in place.  I've read that the OWB's burn much cleaner with better efficiency.  Also, most of their OWB had welded panels with holes drilled through them for the primary air flow into the firebox.  I've been told they have a retro kit available for some models where the welded panels are removed and replaced with removable air panels (I believe they older style E-Classic 2300 is one of them).  Any of you other CB E-Classic owners heard anything about this?  When I get time I want to call my CB dealer and see what he has to offer.  Thanks, Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Refractory and air panels upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »

Hi Roger i had taken down my post from when i went and repaired a ladies boiler you take all the refractory out pull out the air box and the vertical refractory brick out now scrap and wire brush the area i used a high temp spray paint in this area on re assembly you have your new kit you buy comes with rope gasket and a new refractory brick with a half moon on it i all so bought a caulking gun size tube of high temp silicone red from the auto parts store calk all the way around the top and over the rope gasket this will help keep the creosote out of the sides this set up is allso to give you a deeper coal bed my only question is how long will the plate steel hold up on the bottom have fun
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »

Big Wood - I have the same concern about how the steel would hold up over time with all that heat on it.  It has got to ware out rather quickly.  Was there a change in the primary air holes channel to a removable channel?  CB has made a retro kit to removable panels on the E-Classic 2300's and a couple of other E-Classic models.  I was wondering if they did the same for the E-Classic 1400.  In the spring when I shut mine down for the summer, I always remove the refractory brick and fusion chamber to scrape the vertical walls of any creosote buildup.  I then coat everything with oil before I put the fusion chamber and refractory panel back in place.  Thanks, Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »

Hi Rodger,
    I am familiar with these upgrades to a point.  Last year I did remove the refractory and grate bars and installed the new target refractory brick.  I had already replaced the fusion combustor a few years ago with the new model of that since my old one had burned a hole right through the bottom.  So far I see no damage to the firebox floor as there is plenty of ash built up over it.  I may need to replace the target refractory brick this season as a chunk has already broken out of it. 

As for the air channel I contemplated briefly about adding the removable panels.  The reason I did not go that route at the time is because it required cutting out the old channel but leaving enough of the channel for the new pieces to rest on and bolt to if I understood the install instructions correctly.  Both sides of my air channel had come apart from the side wall leaving a crack for creosote to run down inside the channel and plug it back up rather quickly.  Since that happened I had nothing along the top of the channel to leave for the new pieces to rest on.  Last year I also found on startup that I had 3 leaks.  1 on each sidewall and one on the top.  The metal had worn paper thin on all 3 surfaces so I had a welder install 1/4" plate.  While doing that I had him remove the remaining old channel and I stuck with my pipe design.  Easily removable and replaceable. 

Jeff
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor