Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Firestar XP Monitoring  (Read 15309 times)

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
Re: Firestar XP Monitoring
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »

pwdiver, I also use a camera.  I have a DVR based camera system which allows me to view in home or remotely via the internet.  It's older and not compatible with smart phones, but then I'm not that fancy anyway, don't have a smart phone.  But I could not imagine not having the ability to monitor the system.  I can even see the little dot telling me whether it's currently running or not.  I am familiar with X10 cameras but I recall having some trouble keeping them tuned in with wireless setup.  Nowadays, DVR systems are quite affordable and easy to install.  Plus you get the benefit of remote monitoring and recording.  It's always running without designating a computer to run all the time to monitor the cameras with.  With my greenhouse business, I like that I can look back at any point in the night and see when a problem may have occured (not that I can do anything about it. by the time I've looked back at the video I've already been out to find the problem and resolve it.  But still, I can see when it happend).  Some IP cameras can be useful too esp. if it has a built-in SD card slot. 
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

sam-tip

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E3200 (2011)
  • Overkill is under rated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »

Just got my XP controller and XP module installed.   Went smooth except for the very tiny power supply for the xp module.  So small I connected it wrong and fried it.  My eyes are not that as good anymore.   So used a 9 volt battery to test it.  It works great with my large electronic power suppple adjusted to 8 volts DC.  I really like looking at the logged data to monitor history of the burns and temps.  The manual for the install is not to clear on what to do.  But I figured it out.  Pulling the new wires is challenging but using a fish tape helped a bunch.  I used underground Cat 5 wire to connect XP module to the XP controller. 

If electrically challenged dont do it your self.   I am very skilled with electronic instrumentation and I still fried the $15 power supply.
E3200
All ported 355T, 346xp, 562xp, 395xp, 3120xp
Silvey pro sharp, 5 year wood supply
Hobby hording oak firewood.
Overkill is under rated!

woodisgood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »

I installed my XP monitoring system acouple of weeks ago when I received my new stove it always gave me the water temp and reaction chamber temp but could never get it to hook up with my wireless router i could pick it up with my laptop but could never do anything with it other than that. Once you power up the system there is a blinking blue led light on it after acouple of minutes the light is supposed to go solid but it would never do this. So I called CB the other day and told them my problem it seems you have to have version 6.4 software in your firestar controller I figured I would have the newest version since my stove was built in the second week of October of this year but mine has version 6.2 so hopefully by the end of this nxt week I'll have her telling me more info than I need to know just sum food for thought for everyone. I couldnt be anymore happy with my stove or the customer service I have received from my dealer and dealing directly with central boiler. If anyone has any questions about the system or installing it let me know.

sam-tip

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »

My XP module died on me.  It still displayed the temps but the blue light started flashing.  I added a wireless repeater and that helped for a month.  Then the blue light started flashing again.  I had to replace the XP module.   Now the new XP module connects to the internet but I can’t see the readings on line.  The module says OK if I push the down button.  So the new xp module is  connecting to Central Boiler.  I have checked the serial number.  I have reentered the serial number.  Central Boiler did say there is a bug in the software on the first units.
E3200
Overkill is under rated!

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »

Sam, other than this snafu, how did you like the XP? Have been considering putting that option on my 2400 so I can monitor from my smart phone.

woodisgood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »

I got my xp hooked up right when I got my stove it would always give me my readings and setting on the display but I could never get it to hook up to my wireless router CB sent me the updated software I loaded it in and same thing. They ended up sending me a new XP unit I hooked it up and finally got it to link to my router. The program worked great for the last month then all of the sudden that dam blue light started flashing and I cant get it to link up again. Ill call the IT department tomorrow an see if they have any sugggestions. Theyve been very good to work with I've been dealing right with a rep and the IT and engineering department I think theyve been learning as much as me thru the whole ordeal. Oh well atleast my stoves been running like a champ! Luv seeing the wife run around half naked in the winter time! LOL!

sam-tip

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »

boilerman I love the wireless XP.   The problem was on Central Boilers end.  It took the  IT guy about 3 minutes to reset something and it was working.  I use the history graph to monitor how the boiler runs over night.  I can tell if the wood is getting low by watching the temps on the graph.  Or when it ran out of wood.  Also by watching the history I can predict when is the best time to put more wood in without getting lots of smoke in face.  If I load it just before the boiler turns on for heat demand I don't smell like smoke.  The wireless XP is a very useful tool.  I have made a few changes to the timing by going over the history logs and it has decreased my wood usage.
E3200
Overkill is under rated!

cgbm

• OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »

Has anybody tried to build their own module to monitor there boiler?  I'm thinking of hooking a micro controller up to the Firestar module in my boiler and seeing what data I can pull during operation.  If I can make sense of it, I can tap it with Cat5/6 or a homemade wifi module.  Would be pretty cool to have a digital display in my house.  With a little more tweaking I could have the system update a webpage and be able to view the info from anywhere.  I can't stand monthly monitoring fees.  Just wondering if anyone has messed around with this before. 
Pages: 1 [2]