Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Firestar XP Monitoring  (Read 15305 times)

woodisgood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-2400
    • View Profile
Firestar XP Monitoring
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:21:33 AM »

Was on the CB website lastnight and see they have alittle up on the new Firestar XP Controller remote monitoring system looks like the MSRP is $295.00 plus a data fee for each year. Looks like it will be a pretty neat system to keep an eye on things. My E-2400 was built last monday and I'm hoping they have them ready to ship out with my boiler. Don't know a ship date yet but I'm hoping this week. I'm all ready for it so all I really need to do is the outside hookup fill it with water and watch her go!  If anyone knows anymore on the new remote monitoring system please share what you know. I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date on how it work out for me.

woodisgood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Firestar XP Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »

Just an update for everyone got my E2400 delivered lastnight after work got it hooked up this morn and started a fire this afternoon. About an hour and a half in my waters at 125 degrees and alittle over 400 in the reaction chamber I figure my reaction chamber temp will get higher once I have a good bed of coals going.  Also hooked up my firestar xp monitoring and so far so good with it. It's def nice just looking at that instead of running out to the stove espically being a newbie and making sure im not screwing nothin up. As far as checking it from my phone I'm still working on that will keep u posted so far everythings gone really well hooking up the stove and the XP. I'll try to keep everyone up to date on my progress.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:53:04 AM »

I'm glad to hear that it's operating nicely for you.  Continued good luck with it.

I need to check with Central Boiler to see if they provide the same product for the E-Classic 1400.  This is my second year with it and although I'm a bit more comfortable operating it, it would be nice to monitor it from indoors instead of having to dress up to satisfy my curiosity.  My unit is only 25 feet from the house but I'm out in the open and there is absolutely nothing to stop that north wind from penetrating to the bone.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:13:49 AM »

Roger, I went to the centralboiler.com site and read up on this new XP monitoring system...pretty cool! From what I read, sounds like there is a kit so it can be added onto your 1400 and my 2400 too. Can read the water temp and reaction chamber temp from inside our nice warm houses. Special software so we can monitor operation on our home computers too. I have not advanced to having a "smart phone" yet, cause I don't think I'm smart enough to use one, but says you even can check on your furnace from anywhere  you have cell phone service. Out on the tractor, at work of wherever. I will try to get more information from my dealer buddy this week.

woodisgood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:58:58 AM »

It was pretty easy to hook up I pulled a data cable this last week from the house to the pad thru my conduit then when I got the boiler theres just two wires you hook onto in the air box then inside the house you hook up the power supply box to two of the other wires in the data wire (I used Cat 5 wire) then hook your two wires from boiler and the two wires from the power supply into the XP Monitor and thats it. I'm messing around this morn trying to figure out how to get it up on my laptop and I-Phone. All in all it was pretty easy to hook up. I've got the monitor sitting on my bar in the basement but sum time this week plan on pulling a wire thru my one wall from the basement to the kitchen and mounting it in one of my cupboards.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »

Roger, I went to the centralboiler.com site and read up on this new XP monitoring system...pretty cool! From what I read, sounds like there is a kit so it can be added onto your 1400 and my 2400 too. Can read the water temp and reaction chamber temp from inside our nice warm houses. Special software so we can monitor operation on our home computers too. I have not advanced to having a "smart phone" yet, cause I don't think I'm smart enough to use one, but says you even can check on your furnace from anywhere  you have cell phone service. Out on the tractor, at work of wherever. I will try to get more information from my dealer buddy this week.

Boilerman - Thanks for the info.  I'll have to give my CB rep a call for pricing.  If I can monitor my furnace from inside the house, or at work even, it will offer me a piece of mind. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

woodisgood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »

It cost me 295 for the XP unit plus another 85 for the wall mounted unit I think it cost 10 bucks more for the desk top unit. Central boiler sells the data cable for around $1.00 a foot I believe in comes in 100 or 1000 foot rolls. I think you can find a cheaper cable else where though like I did.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »

It cost me 295 for the XP unit plus another 85 for the wall mounted unit I think it cost 10 bucks more for the desk top unit. Central boiler sells the data cable for around $1.00 a foot I believe in comes in 100 or 1000 foot rolls. I think you can find a cheaper cable else where though like I did.

Thanks for the pricing info.  I now know what to expect when I call them.

Do you know if the cable is cat5 ethernet or better?  If it is, at work I have access to the short runs that are useless that they toss out.  I'll grab some of it.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

pwdiver

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler since 2009
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • No matter where you go there you are
    • View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »

will this work on a 5036 classic boiler ???
I use a Stihl MS361 saw & MS250 & MS170
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »

Roger, it is an industrial shielded cat 5 cable.
Only available on E-Classics with Firstar2 computer upgrade on them from what I understand.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 05:10:43 AM »

Roger, it is an industrial shielded cat 5 cable.
Only available on E-Classics with Firstar2 computer upgrade on them from what I understand.

Boilerman, My e-classic 1400 does not have the Firestar II, it's just the lesser, Firestar.  When I get a few minutes, I'll call CB during one of my lunch breaks and see if they have the Firestar II upgrade for my 1400 and at what cost.  I have a feeling it'll be costly just for the upgrade.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

sam-tip

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E3200 (2011)
  • Overkill is under rated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »

Just ordered my kit for my E3200.  $600 for the Firestar II controller and $385 for the XP kit. Plus shipping and wiring kit.
E3200
All ported 355T, 346xp, 562xp, 395xp, 3120xp
Silvey pro sharp, 5 year wood supply
Hobby hording oak firewood.
Overkill is under rated!

pwdiver

• View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »

So I guess the Firestar 11 cant be adapted to the 5036, thanks for the info :-X
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:19:28 PM »

Just ordered my kit for my E3200.  $600 for the Firestar II controller and $385 for the XP kit. Plus shipping and wiring kit.
                                         I dont want to be negative but I have a camera pointed at mine that I can look at anytime to give me a readout of what is doing from a pc or phone unless that readout of the cycles is that important to everyone        you can buy six cameras for that price   
Thats always a option for you PWdiver
Thats just my 2 cents

Jack
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

pwdiver

• View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 03:29:27 AM »

I used to have some X-10 outdoor camera's , Thank you for the info Jack :thumbup:
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com
Pages: [1] 2