Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Multiple heat exchangers  (Read 3212 times)

Wvline

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss
  • OWF Model: C
    • View Profile
Multiple heat exchangers
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »

Hello been looking for awhile and had a question I’m getting ready to plumb for a owb and need some help or opinion. I like to go from boiler to heat hot water and my house has two heat exchanger s should I plum every thing in series or separate runs  also have a heat exchanger in a attached garage

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple heat exchangers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »

Size and style of each exchanger and heat load on the other side would be needed to know for sure

Wvline

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss
  • OWF Model: C
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:24:32 AM »

water to air exchangers are   One is 12x24 and the second is 16x24. Both were installed when duck work and heat pumps were in stalled. The 12x24 heats about 800sq ft and the 16x24 heats about 1600 sq ft of space 

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:51 PM »

So there are only 2? Or are there 4?

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 04:05:33 AM »

I usually do the flat plate for domestic water first, then the house heat. If the piping is short enough you may be able to plumb a summer bypass in after the flat plate, then plumb the house coil first in series, then the garage (if I'm understanding correctly). If the piping loop is too long and flow drops too low to heat well then I often pump the two coils as a secondary loop ( pulling off of the main loop that just loops to the flat plate and back to the outdoor boiler).
But I'm just guessing here with not much info.
Are you from WV? Just did a G2 in Princeton.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:35:11 AM »

Hello been looking for awhile and had a question I’m getting ready to plumb for a owb and need some help or opinion. I like to go from boiler to heat hot water and my house has two heat exchanger s should I plum every thing in series or separate runs  also have a heat exchanger in a attached garage

I have almost the same setup you do.  I have an upstairs water to air and a downstairs water to air.  Flat plate downstairs and a garage water to air.  I put the downstairs plate and water to air on 1 series circuit and my upstairs water to air and garage on 1 series circuit.  2 pumps, 2 supplies, 2 returns.  But, my water to airs are much larger and both heat larger spaces than yours.  Like Yoder said, I do plate first then water to air with a bypass for summer burning.  Could it be done differently?  Yes.  Is this simple?  Yes.  With this design I have ZERO concerns about my return temps being too low.  Both pump circuits have about 20' of head and I get plenty of flow. 

If I had my flat plate, downstairs water to air, upstairs water to air, all in series, I would def put in a mixing valve before it gets back to the stove.  Having the 3rd water to air in the garage would be even more justification.  I think that would be too much for 1 series circuit. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN