Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: any good tree identification sites?  (Read 3173 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
any good tree identification sites?
« on: February 04, 2012, 09:40:35 PM »

I am definitely not a pro at tree identification but can tell the difference in most trees.  However, with no leaves and a tree laying on the ground, I have some trouble identifying trees by the bark alone.  I am looking for a good site or guide/book that I can use as a "field manual" to look at when I'm trying to identify trees without leaves.  Does anyone here know of a good website or book I could buy to carry with me in the woods?  Thanks

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Re: any good tree identification sites?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:07:06 AM »

i have been a certified arborist for 13 years its nice to know your wood. i would google tree id books. or go to book store if you can find one

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »

i just cut the ones with no bark left on them. identified as dead

no need to cut live trees here in southern ontario ..ash borer kills them,, dutch elm kills them, a lot of bitter hickory are giving up as well? These trees are all dying faster than i can keep up in the bush
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »

yeah but I sell it.  Can't sell anything unless its oak, ash, cherry, or hickory.  I know there are other woods out there that burn good but people don't know that.  They only know the big 4.  We have a lot of beech and locust in my area which are the hottest burning woods on the btu charts but people won't buy them b/c they don't know any better.

I need to be able to tell the difference in oaks.  thats one of my biggest problems.  Plus we have some gum in my area that looks like oak by the bark.  Right now I'm cutting a spot that is being excavated and they are pushing all of the trees into a pile; so all of the trees are laying right next to each other and tend to have similar tendencies on their bark.  Anyhow, would just like to know.  I've looked at several tree id books but non of them do a very good job (if any at all) at showing bark.  They all identify by leaves.

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »

most wood can be identifed as FIREWOOD   ;D

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »

The wood i burn is cald  free its for me!!!!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »

National Audobon Society offers two field books, one for the east and one for the west.   I love my one for the eastern trees.