Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ridgewood Stove vs Woodmaster  (Read 28676 times)

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
Ridgewood Stove vs Woodmaster
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »

Hello all,
I am looking at purchasing a Ridgewood stove.  I went out and saw the man who builds the stoves.  The firebox is built out of old propane tanks.  I got to see the welding taking place and everything looks good. This is a newer company but the guy worked for Timberwolf for 10 years. My question is about natural draft, which these are, vs. forced draft.  Also, would a 36 x 44 firebox be adequate to heat 4000 sq. ft.?
Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

Ridgekid

Re: Ridgewood Stove vs Woodmaster
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »

Is this the company?

http://ridgewoodstove.com/ridgewoodsept_002.htm

It says good for 6000sf.

I'll ask our Administrator to add this company since the recent closure of heatsource1.

BTW- Like the name "Ridge" but not affiliated.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:32:37 AM by Ridgekid »

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »

I dont know much about them.  I can tell you that I'm not crazy about natural draft.  I also looked at his accessories and he's telling folks to install a side arm with a mixing valve. I really dont like that whole process either, its to complicated compared to the ease of using a 20 plate exchanger. 

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »

Administrator said he would only add if there was more interest in the product.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:26 PM »

Also, would a 36 x 44 firebox be adequate to heat 4000 sq. ft.?

I say probably not.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »

If the prices for comparable size stoves in the 2 brands are close then I would take the Woodmaster.

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:34 AM »

That's the link to the site.  The intent of this brand is to build something cheap and dependable.  There is no marketing or middleman.  You buy from the guy who builds the stove.  You can watch your stove being built, which I liked.  Thanks for the replies to my post.
I'll let you know how it goes. The cost is only $3,000! plus tax, so that's a major upside.
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »

I say probably not.

I agree.....  unless your poking wood in it every 7-8 hours.   I donno..  just dont see how it will.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »

I say probably not.
Boy- if my math is right that's almost 26 cu.ft. of wood-about one fifth of a full cord. My first home built on was(is) only 11 cu ft and it heats 1800 sq. ft on 2xday loading. I'll bet if there's baffles to help hold heat in or some type of multi-pass heat exchange to transfer more heat back in to the water jacket it will do an OK job. I would think that you might have to load 3xday for maybe 10-20 days/year when it's very cold.

Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, everybody.  I am now looking at buying a used Timberwolf stove.  These are made in Muskegon, MI.  Unit is three years old and the price is right.  The firebox and water jacket are both 3/16 which seems thinner than average, which is a concern.
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

merrellroofing

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »

I am not here to badmouth anyone, but I talked to the owner of the Timberwolf stoves a couple months ago.  He told me the whole situation about the the guy from Ridgewood that used to work for him.  All I can say is know what you are getting and who is gonna be there when something goes wrong.  I almost bought a Timberwolf myself, I thought they looked good for the price.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »

If you go take a look at some decent brands like Central boiler, Woodmaster, Nature's Comfort, etc and take a close look at them especially the welds, the bad stuff will be a lot more noticeable. The smaller companies may make a good boiler as good or better than the big ones or might be junk. Because they are small companies it is going to be hard finding someone with actual experience.

Another thing to look at is the pipe connection placement. Some may just pick random places for the fittings. It is important to have them placed where all the water is moving.

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 06:59:17 AM »

Good to hear something good about the Timberwolf.  The price is definitely right.  I will say that the Ridgewood guy has nothing bad to say about Timberwolf.  He offered to give me their phone number so I could call them.  He has been extremely helpful, even consulting me with buying used parts off Craigslist.  He is building these stoves in a pole barn with himself and his welder who welds on the weekends.  The firebox's are made out of scrap propane tanks and the waterbox is made out of rolled steel.  Spray foam insulation.  I really would like to support somebody who is a small business and trying to do something to get more people off of foreign oil.  The warranty is 100 percent for five years, fifty percent for the next five. It's really hard to knock a guy who will show you everything in his shop, let you watch his welder, tell you you can come out any time, etc.  He would probably do a custom build if I asked him to!  Anyway, I appreciate the transparency, as you can probably tell.
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

andrewstrucking

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 09:53:29 AM »

andyhowardcity,
       i just recently talked to tim at ridgewood stoves and couldnt agree more with you about the knowledge and his openess about his stoves, although he did not mention about being a former employee of timberwolf.I'm just in the beginning stages of my research and was happy I stumbled across this website. Quite a few neigbors in the area have woodmaster stoves and as far as there concerned, there is no other. the price off the stove and everything else that goes with hooking it up (woodmaster)just puts me out my budget, thats why the ridgewood at 3000.00 was appealing. but lets face it 3000.00 bucks is a big investment for something less than an adequate heat source, or lack there of. I'm not so sure its worth the  gamble to be having problems in the middle of winter (3000.00 compared to the 6000.00 brand name furnace). just curious what your final decision is? thanks for your time, and feel free to add any hot tips about your experience. also if you have not purchased one yet is quardinating a deal possible?? or to much hassle???

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »

I didn't buy yet.  Still looking and thinking.  I talked to the Timberwolf owner and his stove comes with a pump and is UL listed, which Ridgewood's are not, as far as I know.  I really do not want to finance and that's why I'm waiting, to pay cash.  I will probably end up buying a Ridgewood if the used Timberwolf I was looking at is sold.
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27
Pages: [1] 2 3