Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Water temp.  (Read 15738 times)

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Water temp.
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »

I really think more flow from your oil boiler to the flat plate could help. but some more baseboard or some other kind of emitter will allow it to heat no problem with 170 degree water. When the emitters are barely sized big enough everything is a struggle.

Wreckit- the boiler is almost serving as a small buffer tank with an oil gun. It doesn't all get through the fphx immediately, but it's flowing down through the boiler and out the drain.  Out the drain, through the fphx, back in the relief valve. Or at least that's how I've done it. That's what I think we're discussing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:33:06 PM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »

No I don’t have  a clue what the return temperature is I don’t have a gauge there , I think it will be better to put a bigger pump there , its the only thing left lol! The next question is what size 9 or 11 I want to put the 11 think the faster the better . And i am sorry Rodger for hi jacking yor post
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »

Oh and when iam on oil the house is nice and warm !
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2018, 02:14:52 AM »

A 009 is a pretty low flow high head pump, kind of an odd one.  so I'd do a high flow 0011 or at minimum a B&G NRF-25 .
And I'm not saying I'm correct for sure, but it's just my best guess as I think it through.

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2018, 03:15:16 AM »

Yes i am gonna go with the 11 I think it should do the trick. I will keep you guys posted Thanks for the Help

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2018, 03:25:06 AM »

fireboss - that okay that you hijacked this thread, I have been learning quite a bit from the discussion between you, Yoder and wreckit.  That's why love this forum, endless information.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2018, 05:10:34 AM »

I have a update! I put the NFR 25 in it mad a big difference  I got up this morning and went down to find all 3 zones was running and the water temperature in the oil burner was  almost 180 . It’s 3 degrees  here and with-a - 15 wind chill ,so it’s 90 % better. After this cold snap i am going to switch my pumps from my wood burner to the house witch is aTaco 14 and put that in between the HX and the oil burner and put the Nfr 25 on the wood burner to the Hx ! What do you guys think 🤔

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2018, 05:53:11 AM »

I have a update! I put the NFR 25 in it mad a big difference  I got up this morning and went down to find all 3 zones was running and the water temperature in the oil burner was  almost 180 . It’s 3 degrees  here and with-a - 15 wind chill ,so it’s 90 % better. After this cold snap i am going to switch my pumps from my wood burner to the house witch is aTaco 14 and put that in between the HX and the oil burner and put the Nfr 25 on the wood burner to the Hx ! What do you guys think 🤔

fireboss - At the risk of sounding ignorant, is the NFR25 a pump?  If you're getting great results with the new set up, why change it?  I would leave it alone, but that's my $0.02. 

The new 100 plate FPHX came in yesterday.  In a few minutes I'll be making a custom insulated box for it before installing it.  I hoping the more surface area that the water contacts, the more percentage of it will go into heating my home.  The temps this morning in my area of NH is -9 with a stiff northerly breeze making wind chills around -25.  As soon as I get it connected and everything flowing, I'll post results whether they are positive or negative.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2018, 06:48:42 AM »

The NFR25 is B&G 3 speed pump, and  I think that to get the most out of the 100 plate HX  I needed more than the 25 is putting out . I think if i had the 14 in it will take me up to 185 degrees is where I need to be with my baseboard . I have seen it posted on here a million times that we need to have temperature gauges on everything, they tell the story, I takes the guesswork out and save a lot of money, so over the summer I will install temperature gauges on everything

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2018, 09:24:50 AM »

The NFR25 is B&G 3 speed pump, and  I think that to get the most out of the 100 plate HX  I needed more than the 25 is putting out . I think if i had the 14 in it will take me up to 185 degrees is where I need to be with my baseboard . I have seen it posted on here a million times that we need to have temperature gauges on everything, they tell the story, I takes the guesswork out and save a lot of money, so over the summer I will install temperature gauges on everything

Okay I see what you're saying.  I have a Grundfos 26-99 at the OWB and between the Hx and oil boiler.  They are 3 speed pumps.  The one at the OWB is set to the number 3 and the one between the Hx and oil boiler is set to number 1.  Because my 50 plate was unable to keep up with demand during this cold snap, I have been heating with my oil boiler for the past week or so.  I'm amazed what insulation will do for a place.  Before I started renovations and insulation upgrade, we would go through a tank of heating oil once a month and we had to keep the temp at 68 degrees, but I checked the tank this morning and to my amazement, we used less than 1/8 of tank of fuel and we're keeping the place 70 degrees 24/7.    But, I prefer burning wood.  I can get it log length at just a bit over $100.00 per cord.  I go through about 6 to 6 1/2 cord per year.  Not too bad for a big house.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2018, 09:49:22 AM »

I think you'll need the flow on the main loop in from the owb so I doubt switching will help, but it would be an interesting experiment. I think you need more emitters to drop the temp you need to operate.

Roger2561

• View Profile
Re: Update! Water temp.
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2018, 04:39:13 AM »

Hi all, it's 0 degrees this morning with a -15 windchill, all 4 zones calling for heat.  Before I replaced the 50 plate heat exchanger with the 100 plate, the temp in the oil boiler was hovering around 130/140, this morning is no different, it's still hovering around 140.  So, I'm thinking that fireboss may be on the right the track regarding changing out the Grundfos 26-99 between the oil boiler and Hx.  The pump between the oil boiler and Hx is set at the number 1 position.  It's a 3 speed Grundfos.  Should I up the flow to the number 2 position? 

Fireboss - How's that NRF25 doing for you?  Is it still giving you the results you stated earlier this post?  I have to plead ignorance with a lot of this pump/flow stuff, I'm not that educated when it comes to hydronics and flow vs head pressure. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:42 AM »

Hi all, it's 0 degrees this morning with a -15 windchill, all 4 zones calling for heat.  Before I replaced the 50 plate heat exchanger with the 100 plate, the temp in the oil boiler was hovering around 130/140, this morning is no different, it's still hovering around 140.  So, I'm thinking that fireboss may be on the right the track regarding changing out the Grundfos 26-99 between the oil boiler and Hx.  The pump between the oil boiler and Hx is set at the number 1 position.  It's a 3 speed Grundfos.  Should I up the flow to the number 2 position? 

Fireboss - How's that NRF25 doing for you?  Is it still giving you the results you stated earlier this post?  I have to plead ignorance with a lot of this pump/flow stuff, I'm not that educated when it comes to hydronics and flow vs head pressure.

I'm not sure I follow.... You want to swap the 26-99 for an NRF-25? Unless you need to slow flow down tremendously, this will be of no benefit. The same could be done with throttling of a valve if needed. The way I see it, if you speed up flow across the plate HX, the temps will drop. But as Yoder pointed out earlier, it may be able to run across the plate twice before going out to the emitters therefore heating further. Would definitely be worth a try now to turn the 26-99 up to 3 and see what happens to the temps in the oil burner. Can't hurt to try right?

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »

I'm not sure I follow.... You want to swap the 26-99 for an NRF-25? Unless you need to slow flow down tremendously, this will be of no benefit. The same could be done with throttling of a valve if needed. The way I see it, if you speed up flow across the plate HX, the temps will drop. But as Yoder pointed out earlier, it may be able to run across the plate twice before going out to the emitters therefore heating further. Would definitely be worth a try now to turn the 26-99 up to 3 and see what happens to the temps in the oil burner. Can't hurt to try right?

wreckit - It's supposed to be below zero again this evening only no wind this time but I think it still will be a good test if I turned it up a notch or two.  I'll post the results tomorrow.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »

A couple of pics showing my set up.  I hope they come through.

CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6