Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Severe scaling  (Read 1833 times)

abide

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Severe scaling
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:27:53 AM »

Hi everybody!  This summer we purchased a foreclosed property that came equipped with a shaver boiler.  The house was vacant for several years but fortunately someone decided to drain the boiler before winter came.  The boiler does hold water so everything else should be repairable if need be.  The most noticeable problem is a layer of scale about 3/16" thick everywhere inside the tank.  When I first tested the circulator pump it would not rotate due to extreme mineral deposits.  To repair this I dumped some muriatic acide down the throat of the pump when it was removed to dissolve the deposits.  This fixed that issue.  My plan for the extreme scaling inside the tank is to dump 1 gallon of muriatic acid in the water and circulate the pump for a couple hours.  I will also take ph measurements throughout the process.  I bought 3 gallons of acid to do this process.  Initially I will bypass the plate heat exchanger.  How does this plan sound???  Any further advice or suggestions?  What would you suggest to avoid this issue in the future?  Additives?  Distilled water? 

Thanks...
  Rod

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Severe scaling
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:26:13 PM »

Lets make sure it will hold water first

as many problem's as shaver has with leaks we first need to check it thoroughly

With that much scale, it may be to late

there is a scale eliminator available tho
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
Re: Severe scaling
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:29:32 AM »

i would unhook lines going to house run line to cirulate boiler only with acid to clean it out then drain refill then do the same with lines to house just loop lines before exchanger  do the exchanger by its self then put it all back togther with a filter before a new pump use the old one as a backup
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029