Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Side arm heater question  (Read 5401 times)

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
Re: Side arm heater question
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »

Good point willieG have check out those plugs as it may make for an easier job..

renoman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ShopBuilt
  • OWF Model: One Hot Gasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »

may slow the heat rate if you put a drop in it but convection should still make it flow.
I made my own so it would just fit in between the drain and the relief.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »

if you open teh valve at the top of the side arm just a tad then open a tap you should get lots of hot water?  if you open the valve so (lets say) a 1/2 gpm could go through then at teh tap you opened it all the way (that should be about 2 gpm) you should get cold water pushing water out of the tank...at least this would test  the dam thing? (i think)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

renoman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ShopBuilt
  • OWF Model: One Hot Gasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »

on second thought disregard my last post. after going to have a look at my setup I left the sidearm plumbed in to the top
and tee the hot water supply off at the relief valve. This allows the sidearm to flow freely without a trap and the
hot supply can only exit from the tank.

cranman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homesteader
  • OWF Model: 1V
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 01:00:54 PM »

On my sidearms and maybe half a dozen I have installed I plumbed my boiler water through the centre from bottom and out the top straight through the one inch fittings. The 3/4 inch horizontal lower side fitting goes to the bottom tank drain which I replumb to be able to allow a drain if needed. The line should run on a slight up slope to the sidearm. The upper fitting I usually go to the relief hole on the upper side of the tank and move the relief up teed into the tank outlet or a secondary top outlet found on most tanks.. If there are small children in the house I use the side hole to house an aquistat set to 140 degrees F and wire it to run a pump off my primary loop. I just tee in where I want the pump to be and tee in again about 10 inches down stream. In that case I take the top fitting on the sidearm to a tee at the top outlet of the tank. The blueprint for one of the installations called for a check valve just above where I plumbed back in at the top, but I didn't have one so I went without it. Didn't seem to affect the performance at all and the homeowner advised that he was able to turn off the noisy circ pump on his system for the OBW season and still have hot water at his shower and sinks forty feet away. Maybe T have been doing it wrong all thrse years but it has always worked for me....

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »

Got really busy with work.. Ended up just closing valve. Then only opening it about a quarter turn.. Working just fine. But only has the capacity for one shower.. Thanks for all the help.. Going to plumb the output of the sidearm into a tee at the relief port as soon as I get the time

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 04:38:55 AM »

That WILL solve the problem
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.
Pages: 1 [2]