Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My new splitter  (Read 7722 times)

lugnut

• View Profile
Re: My new splitter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »

I'm still using the splitter my late father-in-law sort of dropped at my shop.  Was using yesterday and had "maybe" two more large pieces to split when the hand control for the hydraulic push rod broke.  the other thing I don't like about this splitter is that it is too low to the ground.  I like the new splitters as they give you the option to split vertically or horizontal.

I really need to get new hydraulic lines for it as well.  told myself this very same thing last Summer.  Will make a larger mental note this time around.  So I suppose tomorrow I will be trying to figure out how to make a new handle.

sure would like a new splitter though.  Wife say ours is best...it's already paid for......but look at this black and red beauty hon.....she won't hear of it.  Rats.   :bash:

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

leguftek

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Cadillac
  • OWF Model: 5600
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »

Actually.... by the time you purchase the parts you need and put several hours into the repair and change over.....your over half way to buying the brand new splitter.  And the one you just fixed is now what.....30 years old?  More stuff is gonna break or wear out.
Cadillac 5600 OWB
Stihl saws
27 Ton splitter from Lowe's (Military Discount!)
Honda ATV
Quadra-Fire indoor fireplace insert
Oliver 550 Tractor
28 Acres, 4000 small squ bales yearly, 6 horses

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »

Actually.... by the time you purchase the parts you need and put several hours into the repair and change over.....your over half way to buying the brand new splitter.  And the one you just fixed is now what.....30 years old?  More stuff is gonna break or wear out.

We had another discussion this evening over dinner regarding the "present" splitter and a NEW splitter.  I told her that I went to Wally's shop this afternoon and got the handle taken care of.  When I got home, I installed the handle and had to start the engine in order to retract the piston.  Well something went amiss again and I had hydraulic fluid on the shop floor.  The stop for the ram rod doesn't stop ...so back to the hardware store tomorrow for a 2" x 3/8" washer.  I told her that this is my final fix on this splitter.  I HAVE to have it working for this weekend so I can split some of the new wood I got today...after that's done with, it goes back to my brother in law and he can sell it. 

I will be looking at wood splitter at both Lowes and Home De Pot, as well as my local tractor dealer.  Ariens in made down the road from me as well...in Brillion, WI.  its about 10 miles south of me and I will be looking at their splitters as well.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »

I just got a new splitter too.  Mine is an electric.  It is a type that can be purchased either gas or electric, 16 tons.  People shy away from the electric ones and I wonder why.  It seems that an electric motor will be much less hassle than another engine.  Of course if I decide to haul it around I'll have to lug a 3 kVA generator to power it, but I'm OK with that.  It's a reason to buy a neat toy.  The splitter is  US built so I expect it will hold up.

However, it wasn't as good a price as the one at Menard's that began this posting.  I guess I didn't save big money.

I don't have an outdoor boiler.  (yet)   I burn inside and so need less wood than you guys, but I still need enough.  I'm tired of the big red monster maul.  I never make enough in the warm weather and so find myself splitting out in the cold.  This year will be different.

It's sitting in the driveway and is waiting to be assembled.  Any suggestions?

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »

I have the same splitter....I bet between my father in law and myself, we put about 70+ chords through it.  Other then replacing the starter and the rip chord a few times....no major problems.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »

jerk,

50 cords????  I sell wood as a side job and work my tail off gettig 15-20 cords a year doing it all by myself.  You have a full time job? I don't know how in the world you split 50 cords ina year

Drifter

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: None yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »

Bought a Swisher 27 ton last season finally. I am too old fat and lazy to do the wedge trick anymore. Neighbor across the street from me finds trees for us to cut up. His last find about killed my old self off though and we are still splitting it. It was an old oak 4 foot through. We are down to about 6 rounds of it left before moving onto the smaller stuff of 12 to 16 inches across. Glad this swisher goes vertical or they would of had to of planted me by now.
Pages: 1 [2]