Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Proper Heatmor 200CSS Chimney Extension  (Read 9842 times)

halfpress

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200CSS
    • View Profile
    • halfpress blog
Proper Heatmor 200CSS Chimney Extension
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:25:42 AM »

Hello!

For this first season, I've been using some regular, cheap chimney extension pipe and have already had it start to disintegrate. I've been planning to put the proper, high quality pipe on it that twist-lock mates with the top of the furnace's existing stub of a chimney. The Heatmor documentation doesn't cite a product number, brand name, etc., and just leaves the topic as a vague "contact your dealer" issue. As far away as my dealer is located, I'd rather just determine the proper type and buy it from the lowest priced source I can find (online or off).

While the high prices here really took me by surprise, the DuraTech insulated extensions look to me like the right stuff. The twist-lock interconnects on it look exactly like what I see on our furnace. Does this look correct for a Heatmor 200CSS?

http://www.northlineexpress.com/multiple_items.asp?cc=8SPDuratech

Finally, does anyone have any opinions on the use of caps and spark arrestors? I've seen enough sparks come out of my chimney sometimes to worry me when it gets seriously dry and windy (like it has been off and on this past week... already brush fires all over our region).

The pricing on this stuff is kind of crazy, but if it's the right kind, performs well and is going to last me for ages... I'll bite the bullet. Just want to be sure it's the right stuff.

Oh, and they only sell shorter lengths in black. I'd like 48" or so, I think, and that's cheaper in the galvanized lengths. Can I spray it black with any kind of paint that will hold up to the heat and weather?

Thanks!
 - Aaron

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Proper Heatmor 200CSS Chimney Extension
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »

It's likely that any cap or spark arrester is going to accumulate creosote buildup and either plug up your chimney or burn off.  If you watch your 200CSS (I have one too) on a dark night, you may occasionally see the chimney light off internally and a orange flame shoot out of the chimney like a jet flame.  It's pretty cool...

But, it just may be something you have to contend with if you add a cap.  I don't know how it will perform.  Insulated chimneys will keep the smoke temperatures up, which will help keep creosote buildup down at least.  I've considered adding an extended chimney to mine as well.  I was going to go for a 1/4" walled steel pipe about 4' tall that way it can light off and not be an issue.  It should also be considerably cheaper than buying insulated chimney pipe since I can get the steel pipe at any metal scrap yard. 

Perhaps if you went with a 4' chimney, you wouldn't need a cap or spark arrester.  Usually the sparks have quit glowing once they're a couple feet up in the air anyways. 

OBXNC

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:36:38 AM »

My boiler has just a straight 8 inch pipe - no locking means. I also want to add about four feet so it'll draft better and give mee less smoke when I load it. My dealer said the pipe just sits on the existing stack. I guess with just four feet, that should be fine. Now to find pipe near me.....

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »

I've got 4 foot on top of mine with a rain cap/spark arrestor.   Every few weeks while loading the stove leave the door open for a minute or two, it will really pick up and it will burn every bit of that creosote build up out of the chimney in a few minutes. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697