Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: HELP! I hate my SHAVER!  (Read 522043 times)

briguy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! I hate my SHAVER!
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

Hmm I tried to post my update and noticed nothing posted... Here is what I think I typed.
\
Update #1
The first mod I did was to stop the steaming out of the overflow nipple.
2nd I started to insulate under the unit and in the door. I then looked on top and noticed a huge 1.5 inch of metal missing from the area where the domestic lines are dropped in. I should have seen that when I sealed it but must have missed it. All the insulation was soaking wet. I used high temp silicone and automotive cork gasket for now. It seems to be holding since I see no moisture (knock on wood).
I also noticed you put Styrofoam pipe insulation inside the unit. I did this today as well.
I was going to the fan mod today but I bought a 90* instead of a 45*. No matter though because I need to make room and buy a couple of 90* shark bites.

With those couple of improvements my fan turned off for the first time since the weather hit freezing!

Outside temp is now 22*f and INSIDE IS 72*!
My daughters thank you since they just got out of their baths without shivering! Ages 6 and 4. Infant is sleeping soundly!

I feel like a hero but owe you guys the credit, especially Windwalker7.

I will keep posting as I do more mods.

TO Yoderheating... apology accepted and thanks for the tip.

BTW the door hinge bolt came in broken and continues to break even with grade 8 bolt. Not hard to fix but it always happen at the wrong times.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:40:51 PM by briguy »

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »

''I've never looked at a Shaver door''????  WOW....Mr. Yoderheating.... Well then how can you have any sort of intelligent  input on the topic  Mr. Heat Master Seller ??? If you've never looked at a Shaver door then you've obviously never seen a Shaver stove,huh?? But you seem to have a lot to say about them....Maybe not enough activity on the Heat Master pages?? A lot of rave reviews on the product  you're selling huh???? You comments on the Shaver stoves show you probably  know little firsthand of  what you're talking about with regards to their features, functions, reliability, shortcomings, performance,or anything about them.....
I've seen the furnaces but have never studied the door design.  And as far as talking about the design I have never said anything about the design except for comment on what every one else has been complaining about on here. Like I've said 20 times already, I hope they get the kinks worked out. It sounds like they do not have a design flaw, they just need to add a damper and a thermostat. They have been after me to become a dealer and I would consider it if these were standard.
 Sure, Heat Masters page doesn't have much activity. I don't know why that is, maybe a combination of them not being one of the larger furnace companies and also not having lots of problems. Heat Master owners ( along with many other brands) don't need to have long conversations about how to make modifications to their furnaces.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »

yonder, i believe (if teh internet is right) that shaver has in fact made many improvements such as blowers and things. i have been to their page on the net and they have a long list of things on their stoves

http://www.outdoor-wood-furnace-boiler.com/FAQ-outdoor-wood-furnace-boiler.htm#One of the reasons our prices are so low

are these new things they have added or have they always had them?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 08:58:11 PM »

I wanted to add this.

When I did my blower mod I also did the Ranco thermostat at the same time.

I am unsure how the blower mod will work with the stock thermostat. 

It will work, but the stock thermostat seems slow to react to the water temp changes inside the water jacket.

When you do the blower mod, it will look like a blast furnace inside when the blower is on. The water temp will climb much quicker than the stock set up. It gets up to temp quickly.

I set my temp at 150*.  If you are going to use the stock thermostat, keep an eye on things for a while.  It may cause a boilover if the stock thermostat doesn't react quick enough to shut the blower off. Just wanted to give you a heads up.  Maybe lowering the thermostat temp will help if it gets too hot.

Like I said, with the Ranco I can control the temp precisely. If you save that link I used in the other post for the Ranco, it shows you how to wire it up. The directions that come with it are a little hard to understand. that site makes it pretty easy. That is if you decide you need one.

I realize there is a little expense to these mods, but they are worth it for the difference you will see.

Also, after I saw that the blower mod worked great, I went ahead and ran a bead of silicone where the elbow butts up against the blower.  Kinda glues it in place.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:16:47 PM by Windwalker7 »

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »

yonder, i believe (if teh internet is right) that shaver has in fact made many improvements such as blowers and things. i have been to their page on the net and they have a long list of things on their stoves

http://www.outdoor-wood-furnace-boiler.com/FAQ-outdoor-wood-furnace-boiler.htm#One of the reasons our prices are so low

are these new things they have added or have they always had them?

From what I understand they have blowers but no draft control (draft is open all the time). One question I have been asking for some time and no one has been able to answer. What is the thickness of the water jacket? I had a customer who decided not to purchase one because he said the water jacket wasn't as thick as the firebox. I doubt this is true but I can't find any info on the website and none of the dealers I have spoken to seem to know either.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »

1/8"  I   think.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »

if you read through the link i sent it says the water jacket is .125 (1/8) and the fire box is .400
i am not sure (as i don't really care) but i think in most stoves i have seen in my area most water jackets are about this thick. what i don't like about some stainless stoves is they usee 1/8 or a little less for the fire box as well and with all the banging that part of the stove takes when throwing in heavy and jagged wood..well i always fear it could get damaged.

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 10:24:16 PM »

I believe Shaver does have the option to get a blower with a selonoid damper on it now,

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »

if you read through the link i sent it says the water jacket is .125 (1/8) and the fire box is .400
i am not sure (as i don't really care) but i think in most stoves i have seen in my area most water jackets are about this thick. what i don't like about some stainless stoves is they usee 1/8 or a little less for the fire box as well and with all the banging that part of the stove takes when throwing in heavy and jagged wood..well i always fear it could get damaged.
Okay, I followed the link and read down through the info but I must have missed it somewhere. I've never heard of a mild steel furnace using a water jacket that thin, I'm fairly sure most of them use the same thickness as the firebox (Woodmaster uses 1/4 inch on both, Natures Comfort uses 3/16 I believe).  Almost every furnace that I have ever heard of having a corrosion problem was always in the water jacket. Most of the ones I've seen have been where sediment builds up in the bottom of the tank.
 The stainless furnaces I sell are built out of 10 gauge. That is about as thick as I know of for furnaces built out of stainless, some are made as light as 16 gauge. I have sold hundreds of furnaces and have never had any problems with throwing wood in and hitting the back.   I've had other people ask about that but so far I have not heard of it causing any problems.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

briguy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 04:50:23 AM »

Its 6:30 AM and I just put some wood in. The house was warm ALL night. The thermostat and blower mod will happen today if I can get the parts I need. If I cant I.. I will order them.

What a difference, not just in the heat...but in humanity as well.

Pay it  forward indeed.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 05:50:51 AM »

Its 6:30 AM and I just put some wood in. The house was warm ALL night. The thermostat and blower mod will happen today if I can get the parts I need. If I cant I.. I will order them.

What a difference, not just in the heat...but in humanity as well.

Pay it  forward indeed.
Perfect, so glad to hear things in the heat department are looking up!
Merry Christmas
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 08:28:48 AM »

Okay, I followed the link and read down through the info but I must have missed it somewhere. I've never heard of a mild steel furnace using a water jacket that thin, I'm fairly sure most of them use the same thickness as the firebox (Woodmaster uses 1/4 inch on both, Natures Comfort uses 3/16 I believe).  Almost every furnace that I have ever heard of having a corrosion problem was always in the water jacket. Most of the ones I've seen have been where sediment builds up in the bottom of the tank.
 The stainless furnaces I sell are built out of 10 gauge. That is about as thick as I know of for furnaces built out of stainless, some are made as light as 16 gauge. I have sold hundreds of furnaces and have never had any problems with throwing wood in and hitting the back.   I've had other people ask about that but so far I have not heard of it causing any problems.

I get the impression you are desperately fishing around trying to find something to say that the furnaces you sell are built better than Shaver.   You can't claim a thicker firebox, so you look at water jacket thickness.

OK we will give you the nod.  Your water jacket is 1 guage thicker.

You keep throwing around those words "stainless steel"

You do realize don't you, that a couple OWB manufacturers quite making their furnace out of stainless.  Central boiler is recognized as the king of OWBs and they quit using SS. Hawken found it to be the weak link in their system too.

We all have replaced the mufflers on our cars.  Aren't they are made of SS.

Listen, I can understand you want to sell your furnaces, but will you please go to one of the other OWB manufactured forums and put down their furnace.  It is getting old on this forum.

The constant  bashing is  really becoming a nuisense.

If you don't like Shaver OWB that is your right, but really.....do you constantly need to annoy everyone about it?

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »

When you sit down and order a Shaver those options are available. I'm telling you people still dont want them even after seeing mine and i have the parts for them to look at and touch .Still say they will deal with them later. Just dont have the extra cash at the time. The fan comes with a slide damper flap . You can set it and adjust as you need too. Some people are around enough to make this work.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 08:42:21 AM »

Let us look at this thread.  We have a guy asking for help.

Let 's use a metaphor to explain this thread.

You are walking along and see someone splashing around in a pond screaming for help because they can't swim.

You got guys standing along shore shouting back at him.

They say things like. "Should've learned to swim!"......"Should've stayed out of the water!"....." Hey I know how to swim, how come you don't?"........Hey, I can sell you a floatation jacket!"

Instead of trying help the guy out, they stand back and throw insults.  Some people just feel bigger kicking someone else when they are down, I guess.

Really......come on guys....we all burn with OWBs.  Does it really matter what brand you have?  We should be working together to help each other out, not bashing each other.

It would be easy to pick apart the warranty of Heatmaster but I don't do it.  Because I realize that is someone's livelyhood and it wouldn't be right.

"Can't we all just get along?"

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »

I get the impression you are desperately fishing around trying to find something to say that the furnaces you sell are built better than Shaver.   You can't claim a thicker firebox, so you look at water jacket thickness.

OK we will give you the nod.  Your water jacket is 1 guage thicker.

You keep throwing around those words "stainless steel"

You do realize don't you, that a couple OWB manufacturers quite making their furnace out of stainless.  Central boiler is recognized as the king of OWBs and they quit using SS. Hawken found it to be the weak link in their system too.

We all have replaced the mufflers on our cars.  Aren't they are made of SS.

Listen, I can understand you want to sell your furnaces, but will you please go to one of the other OWB manufactured forums and put down their furnace.  It is getting old on this forum.

The constant  bashing is  really becoming a nuisense.

If you don't like Shaver OWB that is your right, but really.....do you constantly need to annoy everyone about it?
I don't make any claims of selling a furnace with a thick firebox or water jacket. Heat Master uses 10gauge, not very thick compared to most furnaces. You are correct, stainless will corrode just like mild steel. It is more resistant but it still can.  This is why we still use water treatment in the furnaces.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6