Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gasification question  (Read 7033 times)

peacmar

• View Profile
Re: Gasification question
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 09:16:54 PM »

Long time lurked here, first post ever. If I might chime in on the subject as I have studied and experimented myself with syngas. The proper place to "tap into" the burner would actually be in the secondary chamber. But the process would require that absolutely NO secondary air is introduced, and that the producer gas must be cooled immediately after it leaves the coals to prevent it from igniting. So the heavily insulated secondary chamber would hinder the process. The gas cannot be pulled from the primary chamber, as only pyrolosis has happened at this point and not the reduction phase that is necessary. The heat from the bed of coals releases the wood gas in its raw state. This is the pyrolosis phase. Then the raw wood gas must be passes through the bed of burning coals with just the right amount of oxygen at just the right velocity to induce "carbon cracking" and to initiate the exothermic process of "reduction" where all the chemical compounds are reduced to basic elements of flammable gases of hydrogen and carbon monoxide. The inert atmospheric gases pass through to help carry the heat and the carbon settles out in the form of fine ash. It is possible to do such a thing with a boiler, but the conditions would have to be absolutely perfect.

Ridgekid

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 04:27:33 AM »

Long time lurked here, first post ever. If I might chime in on the subject as I have studied and experimented myself with syngas. The proper place to "tap into" the burner would actually be in the secondary chamber. But the process would require that absolutely NO secondary air is introduced, and that the producer gas must be cooled immediately after it leaves the coals to prevent it from igniting. So the heavily insulated secondary chamber would hinder the process. The gas cannot be pulled from the primary chamber, as only pyrolosis has happened at this point and not the reduction phase that is necessary. The heat from the bed of coals releases the wood gas in its raw state. This is the pyrolosis phase. Then the raw wood gas must be passes through the bed of burning coals with just the right amount of oxygen at just the right velocity to induce "carbon cracking" and to initiate the exothermic process of "reduction" where all the chemical compounds are reduced to basic elements of flammable gases of hydrogen and carbon monoxide. The inert atmospheric gases pass through to help carry the heat and the carbon settles out in the form of fine ash. It is possible to do such a thing with a boiler, but the conditions would have to be absolutely perfect.

and continuously!

Welcome to the site!!

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 05:44:47 AM »

Thank you for the warm welcome. This is a great place to find lots of information and the people here are very open and friendly with it. As I get settled in I hope I too can become a contributor to the  vast amount of knowledge available.  :thumbup:

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »

Welcome to the forum.glad to see someone e who has knowledge on gasification. To come on and give us some insight.jump on in as everyone is great in here.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:22 AM »

Welcome to the site peacmar, all info you can offer will be appreciated. 
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"
Pages: 1 [2]