Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: ecobee3 stat hookup  (Read 3028 times)

Pieman43130

• OWF Brand: Greewood
  • OWF Model: 100
    • View Profile
ecobee3 stat hookup
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:08:12 PM »

Have looked through the posts and have not discovered a straight up solution to the issue.  tried one solution but did not work.    Need One thermostat to operate both heat sources.  Have a primary propane gas furnace with central AC.  OWB with heat exchanger.  Water runs continues so just need fan to operate when called for heat and the water temp is above 110 degrees.  Messing with this for some time and just can't get to one stat.  Now have 2 stats and when the OWB fan stat calls for heat it will run fan continuous.  Propane stat set at 8 degrees lower for when the owb fire burns out..
Now I got this new Ecobee3 stat with setup for heat pump, oil burner etc.  Basically Dual heat. Any ideas as to get this all in one setup with new stat?  I really appreciate any info as you all know the DIY is trial and error.
CLH

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: ecobee3 stat hookup
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »

I used to do the two thermostat thing as well, wife was always adjusting the wrong one.

I installed a Nest and have the fan in the furnace hooked up as the primary heat source then the white wire hooked up for the AUX. I have a nat gas furnace.

The problem I’ve found is under a large heat load like if you change it from Away to Home is it wants to kick the nat gas in as well. Same thing in the morning if its colder and the temp isn’t coming up fast enough. We have a large differential to cover in the mornings though, keep the house at 67 at night and 73 first thing in the morning then down to 72 the rest of the day.

I have an ideal on how to fool the Nest into thinking we have a heat pump so the Heat Pump savings feature can be set to maximum savings which should only run the gas if absolutely required.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »

I did look at the website for a bit on your thermostat, the remote temp sensor is kinda nice. Got lucky in our house, where the thermostat has always been seems to be a place for it, right in the middle of the house, any room is too warm or cold we balance that out with the dampers in the duct work. Upstairs I eventually plan on having some form of zoned heat with most likely a Nest in each room.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 09:09:46 PM »

If you want one thermostat and the gas to take over when the OWB water is cold, you are best off using a strap on aquastat to switch it over.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »

That's how I do mine RSI, strap on aquastat interrupts the 24 volt t-stat lead to my back up and you can choose the temp you want the cutover to take place at.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 05:16:22 PM »

That's how I do mine RSI, strap on aquastat interrupts the 24 volt t-stat lead to my back up and you can choose the temp you want the cutover to take place at.

My HVAC guy did this too (at least I assume it's like you say, since I don't know the technical stuff ). 

I have an aquastat on the boiler pipe going into the plenum above the furnace, and if it drops below 130 degrees, then the furnace will use propane.  130 degrees or higher, and the furnace only kicks on the fan without using any propane.

I have an ecobee3 and love it.  Also have control of the whole-house humidifier with it.  I like having it on my phone. 
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

pwdiver

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler since 2009
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • No matter where you go there you are
    • View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 06:56:40 AM »

I was wondering about this thermostat because you can get additional temp sensors for more room's, do these just let you know what the room temp is our is there something else that you can get to help regulate the individual room temps, I saw duct work vent's at lowes that I presume either open or close or change the air flow direction Ill look this morning when I go by there :-\
I use a Stihl MS361 saw & MS250 & MS170
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:15:34 AM »

I was wondering about this thermostat because you can get additional temp sensors for more room's, do these just let you know what the room temp is our is there something else that you can get to help regulate the individual room temps, I saw duct work vent's at lowes that I presume either open or close or change the air flow direction Ill look this morning when I go by there :-\

Without automated opening/closing duct lines I don't see it doing much to keep all the rooms the same.  I have a 2 story house and keep the thermostat set at 73 degree 24/7, whether I'm home or not.  The upstairs is about 69-70.  What's funny is that the upstairs is actually warmer when the outside temp is below zero, as the furnace runs more often than it does when the outside temp is in the 20s and 30s. 

I was told the separate sensor upstairs would cause it to kick on and move air around to try to regulate the temp better.  Not sure that it does that though.  It probably works better with a forced air system running only on gas or propane, as it can just blow the air around.  But with a plenum in the way with hot water all the time, it'd just keep sending hot air.

I like the ecobee mainly for the access to it from my phone during the summer.  I can turn the thermostat down to 68 when I'm on my way back from out of town so the house is nice and cold when I arrive.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »

I was told the separate sensor upstairs would cause it to kick on and move air around to try to regulate the temp better.  Not sure that it does that though.  It probably works better with a forced air system running only on gas or propane, as it can just blow the air around.  But with a plenum in the way with hot water all the time, it'd just keep sending hot air.

Need either a three way valve at the fan coil so the fan on the furnace can run without adding heat or a secondary loop going to the fan coil.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120