Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2015 HeatMaster 10,000  (Read 6558 times)

woodbutcher

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000e
    • View Profile
2015 HeatMaster 10,000
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »

I bought this boiler just before the law chained and was not impressed. Ash door not insulated, clean out door not insulated and main loading door had  so much  silicone around the gasket it made the gasket hard as a stone. After first year of burning, I insulated the ash door and added some foil insulation between the clean out door and the inside plate. Having removed the loading door, I had to remove the handle to get the gasket out. The bolts that hold the door on were not stainless steel. They were so rusty, I had a hard time removing then. Even had to re tap the threads. Found the same thing on the ash door, and the top clean out door. Replaced all bolts with stainless steel bolts. Sticker says it was made in Apr. 2015. Boy is that a load of crap. The threads on the bolts were solid rust, this don't happen in a year. I think this boiler was standing around outside for years, even the bottom insulation was so wet, I had to replace it. I did get a deal on the boiler, $9,500. What I got was a boiler that was standing around for years and then someone changed the sticker to say it was made in 2015. Wish I had waited until my CB died and bought a Heatmaster C series.   

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 HeatMaster 10,000
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:05:51 PM »

That sucks, you paid 9500? For that??????

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »

What the heck? Sounds like that "deal" stemmed from someone making a cheap frankenstein out of leftover parts. Sorry you had to deal with that. Was there a dealer involved or where did you get it from? My C series was in the same price range and hot off the press when I bought it. Ash door was already insulated, everything was dry, and the door gaskets were all perfect. I did have a little issue right at the beginning with a sticky draft solenoid that was easily fixed with some anti-seize, and some creosote had dripped down under the ash pan and glued it to the bottom of the stove but other than that has been flawless. The ash pan thing happened twice within a month of owning it, but the second time I pulled the drawer out with a come along and scraped the inside of the box then threw some fly ash in there to coat whatever was sticky and it's never happened again

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »

Any chance it got road salt on it? It'll make bolts etc rust prematurely.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »

Any chance it got road salt on it? It'll make bolts etc rust prematurely.

Sorry to hear of your issues, all the G’s I’ve had here had stainless bolts in the latches.

But yah, all our stoves get hand washed before leaving here, if there is even the slightest chance it seen salt I they get washed twice then I take a rag and spray WD40 on it and wipe all the screw heads with it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:30:48 PM »

A couple things I'd like to respond to: Silicone on a gasket makes it soft, not hard. What makes it hard is moisture that contains creosote. This same creosote is also what makes the door and hardware rust. The answer is to minimize moisture on the door. Doors on MF and C series are both mild steel and are subject to corrosion.
   Things that help furnace run dry:  Longer burn cycles, lots of air flow-like 100%, Short chimneys, bigger wood.
   I burn big wood, if it goes in the door it doesn't get split, no extension on chimney,air flow at 100%.  3rd year on a C375, same door gasket, powder in top chamber.

Woodbutcher, I think you posted in Sept of 2015 you paid $9050 for your furnace, Typo ?
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

woodbutcher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:22 AM »

Might have been a typo on the price. $9,500. As for salt, I bought from a dealer and had to wait a week or two to get it. He had nothing at his place. Just a part time income for him. He  does carpenter work full time.  The silicone used on the door was so thick it was squirting all the way around the sides of the gasket. I spent and hour just to get it cleaned off. This don't happen in a year. I still have the bolt from the ash door and the loading door and if you seen them, you would know this did not happen in a year. The threads are so bad you can't even see the threads. Wish I had waited for my CB to die. I think it had a couple of more years in it. 17 years and still work like the day I bought it. Then I would have bought a C series and the hell with the gov. regulations. All I can say about the stove is it was not made in 2015. This looks more like it was sitting outside for the last 5-10 years, even the paint around the edges of the roof is pealing. I do like the new style of the HeatMaster, using a oval shaped heating chamber. I have had wood lay on the side of my round firebox and never get down to the fire. Now I  found that the more wood I put in, the better it runs.

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »

Might have been a typo on the price. $9,500. As for salt, I bought from a dealer and had to wait a week or two to get it. He had nothing at his place. Just a part time income for him. He  does carpenter work full time.  The silicone used on the door was so thick it was squirting all the way around the sides of the gasket. I spent and hour just to get it cleaned off. This don't happen in a year. I still have the bolt from the ash door and the loading door and if you seen them, you would know this did not happen in a year. The threads are so bad you can't even see the threads. Wish I had waited for my CB to die. I think it had a couple of more years in it. 17 years and still work like the day I bought it. Then I would have bought a C series and the hell with the gov. regulations. All I can say about the stove is it was not made in 2015. This looks more like it was sitting outside for the last 5-10 years, even the paint around the edges of the roof is pealing. I do like the new style of the HeatMaster, using a oval shaped heating chamber. I have had wood lay on the side of my round firebox and never get down to the fire. Now I  found that the more wood I put in, the better it runs.

The C series is still just as illegal to burn wood in as the MF series in the states, if you're burning wood there is no exception to the government regs unless commercial usage. As for the firebox shape, the change is pretty minimal and the C will do the same thing with blocks laying on the sides. I started turning my blocks sideways and it's all but eliminated the issue. It'll burn the center out above the grates and the sides will just slide toward the center and keep feeding. If I throw the wood in lengthwise it does just as you say and a few blocks will hang along the sides and the fire will go out before they're burned

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »

A pre-2016 MF unit is legal to burn wood in.

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 11:46:22 AM »

So is a pre-16 anything else, including the C. If he had waited 2 years (after buying a 2015 model) for the CB to die and then purchased a C in hopes it'd be exempt, it'd already be 2017 and a new C would be illegal as well

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »

If the speed limit is 55 and the trouper writes tickets for anything 65 and over do you drive 60? Is it legal to drive 60?

I have seen the same thing woodbutcher on furnaces that have set on the yard for 6 mo. after shipping in salt. It gets driven in everywhere.With snow melting in spring and seems like you can get stoves in in May and if it's raining look out, it will work up the salt residue on the road along with a little oil and drive it in and make it stick. Seen the powder coat paint peel back and you got to repaint before you can sell them in the fall. With a wet insulation blanket in the bottom, bet it got shipped in the rain. Curtain trailer should help that now. Got a load on the curtain trailer last week and they were nice. Got another on the road now and expect them to be dry as well.  But that does't help you, what can I say?
  I'll bet that stove was built in April and shipped right away. I wonder if your dealer knows if it was in the states or did he get it direct from Factory before you got it?
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »

So is a pre-16 anything else, including the C. If he had waited 2 years (after buying a 2015 model) for the CB to die and then purchased a C in hopes it'd be exempt, it'd already be 2017 and a new C would be illegal as well
You're right, I didn't understand what you meant before. I'm kinda dense.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:01:55 PM by E Yoder »

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »

Woodbutcher- have you contacted your dealer about the rust issues? That would be the first step in getting this resolved, regardless of why it rusted.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:22:25 PM by E Yoder »

woodbutcher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 07:47:22 AM »

I don't think there is no reason to contact the dealer. He had nothing to do with the making or shipping of the stove. It was shipped in the fall before any salt could get on it. He told me it came from a warehouse in northern WI. Anyway there is nothing in the warranty that would cover any of these defects. Maybe they would give be a couple of bucks for my trouble, but it not worth the time and frustration. As for it being illegible to burn a C series now, do you really think the DNR is going to go all over the country to look when everybody's stove was made. I think if you were burning for the last 20 years, unless they took a picture of the stove, when you installed it, they won't bother you. If this is the DNR's top priority, this country is in sad shape. I live about 50 miles from Milwaukee, and when it rains hard, the DNR says it is OK to dump millions of gal."s of sewage into lake Michigan. And they are wearied about how much smoke comes out of my stove. This country has gone from a great place to live to a government run society.     

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 08:17:41 AM »

Still falls under warranty though, at the very least your dealer needs notified so if something gets worse it’s not a complete surprise to either your dealer or corporate.

They got away from the powder coating and went with a electro statically applied wet paint for a reason. Personally I’ve never been very impressed with powder coat. Once it starts to chip or lift it goes to crap in a hurry. We have two seed tenders, a couple times a season I climb up on hte deck and look down the seed chutes to make sure no more powder coat is starting to lift, get a chunk of that in the seed and you’ll definitely have issues with your stand.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:20:38 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: [1] 2