Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Check anode rod  (Read 9021 times)

Bill

• Training Wheels
  • Heatsource 1
    • View Profile
Check anode rod
« on: February 25, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »

If anyone has a heatsource 1 stove that they bought in 2010 or before--check your anode rod.  Our distributor came and checked ours and it was totally disinigrated due to the chemicals (that the company put out in 2009)  and we had to empty out the bladder  due to  anode particals that goes inside the heat exchangers--plugs them up.
The reason i found this problem is i have a temp gauge inside the house next to my furnace and it read 110 deg. and the outside unit OWB read 172.
We were told that the stove can run just find with out an anode rod so  for the last two weeks we have not had one in ours and it is doing just fine ....so far.

Just wanted to give you a head's up on what i found out.  Hope it helps.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
Re: Check anode rod
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »

The stove will function without the anode, but without it, metal will rust. The anode is the sacrificial "lamb" in this set-up. My advice is to replace it asap. While the effectiveness of an anode in an owb is suspect, I would still replace it. Water heaters have them for the same reason.

Bill

• Training Wheels
  • Heatsource 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »

The stove will function without the anode, but without it, metal will rust.
I was told that the chemicals is what keeps the metal from rusting.   ?   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:25:14 PM by Bill »

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »

That's true, however, the anode rod is the sacrificial element. You must ask yourself what ate the current anode? If your unit came with one, I would be inclined to replace it, if for nothing else,  for warranty.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »

i believe the chemicals help "control" the rusting. most chemicals are for trying to bring the ph to a neutral or "safe" elevation if you are using an open to air system then there is always some oxygen in the system (and some add a chemical to try and control that as well)  and therefore the potential for rusting. the anode rod is another "control' by offering this anode made from a metal that will rust away sooner than yoru stove it gives a place for the cheimcal reaction to have its fun without eating your stove apart. I think if your factory went to the trouble to try and give its product more of a chance to survive (at least until the warranty runs out) that  you should also invest in replacing the anode and bringing your stove as close as "back to new" as you can. Although i don't have one on my stove, i would vote for quick replacement.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada