Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How are the Empyre boilers running?  (Read 17250 times)

Belknap

• View Profile
Re: How are the Empyre boilers running?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »

I cleaned the boiler today.  I removed the blower after 3 months of running.  I had noticed that when the blower was not on that I was getting some smoke out of the stack.  When I removed the blower the flapper was stuck open with creosote.  In the air box there was very little creosote.  I scraped it out and ran a piece of pex down the air channel and everything was clear.  I hadn't cleaned the tubes for almost a month and there was a fair amount of ash put nothing was plugged.  Spent about 30 minutes cleaning and now up and running again.
Gilford NH

Hammersquash

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: 200 ProHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »

I removed mine yesterday for its bi-weekly cleaning to see if anything was building up.   Because of the milder weather in the fall I was thinking there must be some creosote build up of some kind.
  I remove the two 10mm head screws, placed the motor to the side and then removed the bracket that holds the motor on. 

the flap is very clean and swings easily.  I can't see very well in the chamber as the flap only goes back about 30 degrees or so.  It looks clean, albeit impossible to rectify if it did become plugged...  I watched the DVD the other day again and they mention the chain cleaning method but I don't see how this is possible in the middle of the winter, with one person.  I am really happy with the stove but I am concerned about this design....

Speaking of cleaning where does one get the air tube brush?  MIne is just about worn out...

Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27
2012 F250 King Ranch 6.7 TD

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »

http://ecomfort.com/empyre-elite-xtprodeluxe-flue-brush-92364.html

Here is a link for the place where I buy my empyre products. 

When you remove the motor can you then remove the plate that has the flapper attached.  I remove that then you have a 4x4 hole that you can get into the air box and clean the air channel.  There is no way you could use a chain to clean the air channel while the boiler is hot.  I take a piece of 3/4 pex attached to my vacuum and run that down the channel to loosen any creosote.
Gilford NH

Hammersquash

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »

My configuration does not look like that.  You remove two screws for fan and two screws for airbox.  The flapper is not serviceable?

Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27

Hammersquash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 04:22:10 AM »

http://ecomfort.com/empyre-elite-xtprodeluxe-flue-brush-92364.html

Here is a link for the place where I buy my empyre products. 

Holy Sheet.  I went to order the flue brush and shipping was calculated out to 245.00.   I am going to call them today.
Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27

MaverickM23

• OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »

I clean my tubes once a week and have had the blower off twice so far this year to check it. Last year I got lots of gooey stuff in there but this year it seems to just be hardened creosote and it is a pain to clean out, Im getting more than I would like but it comes out once loosened up and it isn't all sticky plus my flapper door hasn't gotten stuck yet like it did last year.

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 05:31:21 PM »

This is my 7th year with my aspen outdoor wood boiler made by pro fab and I can say so far it has been the best year. The first few years i struggled with a lot of things but i have
found that by using marvel mystery oil on my blower from time to time it works much better. It does not condensate in the blower box since i removed the flapper kit as well. I also
followed the direction sent to me by pro fab on how to re seal my front door and that works well. I also have found that you don't want to stir the ashes to much or the slots at the bottom plug
up. i simply scrape the sides and re load it. I also use a 1/2" copper pipe once per month to clean the flue chambers in the back. I put a 3/4" female adapter at the end of the copper
to push the ash out the front. Much easier than a brush. I use a flex brush for the vertical tubes. I also have found white ash to be the best wood for me here in maine.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 03:27:01 AM »

woke up this moring at 4 to a 62* house. Went down and the fan took a crap on the blower  ::) I can't win for loosing with this thing.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »

Not only has my boiler draft fan broke but no one will return my calls  :bash:

Hammersquash

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »

My blower quit last weekend.   Check and see if your fan will run if you give it a spin by hand.  I can tell you by personal experience there has to be very little resistance in the bearing or the fan won't get rolling.  A few drops of oil near the bearings and mine has been fine.  I am going to source out a replacement this summer...

Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 06:49:41 AM »

Did you get the blower going?
Gilford NH

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »

Yea, Its all but toast. Don't know how long it will last. It howls like crazy. The bearings are shot. I jump started the capacitor with my volt meter and it kicked on. Im def on barrowed time. I ordered one off of wood furnace parts. Prob won't have it until wed. Sucks I spent 10 grand on a fookin boiler that I have to work on all the time  :bash: :bash: :bash:

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »

Empyre has a 1 year warranty on ALL electrical parts. I have to eat the blower fan. I'm so glad that I can bank on spending 170$ every year to year and a half on a  blower.

Hammersquash

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 07:09:25 AM »

Empyre has a 1 year warranty on ALL electrical parts. I have to eat the blower fan. I'm so glad that I can bank on spending 170$ every year to year and a half on a  blower.

My blower stopped again last night.  Funny how it can't stop in the middle of the day.  Has to be 3am-5am for some reason.  Quickly took motor off and put a drop or two of oil on each end of the shaft and its good to go.  I ordered a new fan from AltHeating this morning and a few other doodads.
  I smashed my thigh off a tree snowmobiling yesterday and can barely walk without looking like I am 90.  Its a pretty nasty deep bruise but I guess I am lucky I didn't break my leg.  I should have put up a video camera of me taking the blower motor off this morning at 4am.   Dog knocked screws into snow, dropped the marretts, dropped the screws several times.  It would have been hilarious. 
   The fan from Altheat was 7 bucks more than from Ecomfort.  I have used Altheat before and the shipping is really fast so I think its worth the 7 bucks. 
   I am not all that upset about the fan.  I don't have any creosote build up in air channel, no water leaks from water jacket and no bricks appear to be broken.  I know some people are having trouble with their units and I usually bite my nails when something seems out of sorts with the water temp but overall I am still happy.  I have been burning a continuous fire for 5 months now.  Gone through about 7-9 cords of quality hardwood/ash/willow/pine and junk wood.   I didn't pay for any of it and I am easily 3000.00 bucks ahead of the gas/oil guys at this point and I have 7 or 8 cords of hardwood left and two more heating months. 
  I figure I am at a 3.5 year rate of return for my whole install.

If the thing sheets out even though I try to look after it I will move it to the back corner behind my shop, gut it and make a chicken coop out of it.  If it lasts 10 years I will buy another one.
Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27

shorman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 12:31:26 PM »

I installed my first WBF in October 1992 and my present Empyre Pro 200 is my fourth WBF.I won't go into that history because I may be able to help some of you fellas from my recent experience.What I'm going to tell you may be worthless information because I'm still experimenting and can't say for sure exactly what is fact and what is fiction.I just shut down my Pro-200 after my second heating season and went to propane for two reasons.From now to warm weather we will have 60 or 70 degree days and then it will drop to near freezing for a few nights with 50 degree days.My WBF can handle that but not as efficiently as it handles consistently cold weather.My second reason for shutting down is I'm out of wood.I wanted to burn some old wood to get my wood pile back to the best quality possible and this seemed to be a good time to do that.------The first year I used this furnace was a perfect heating season and we were comfortable.During the 2nd heating season,the blower failed in late December and my supplier botched my order for a blower and it took 10 days to get one which was finally shipped from the factory in Tennesee.The bearings in the old blower failed and this could have been from a leak in the gasket around the big ,heavy cover over the 32 boiler pipes.If fly ash could get into the fan's bearings,that could create the problem.The new fan was $150 since it was outside the 12 month warranty by a few months. Experiment #1-----For 2 years I've been adding powdered lime to my fire box to neutralize the corrosive effects of wood ash on all metal.It does have some desirable effects.The 32 boiler pipes show little rust and are easier to clean.I believe a cup of powdered lime thrown into the fire box every second day may be the proper amount.I clean the 32 pipes sometime between the 1st and 10th of each month depending on weather and any other factors.I started out cleaning pipes weekly,then twice a month and then monthly.A 40LB. bag of powdered lime costs me $4.00.Experiment#2------After trying several settings for starting the blower,I finally decided that starting at 169 degrees and stopping at 180 degrees was best for my situation.I seldom see any vapor rising from the boiler water gauge and seldom add any boiler water.Also,keeping the boiler water level at least one mark below full will not waste boiler water in vapor at my temperature setting.Experiment #3--------Each month when I clean the 32 pipes,I first remove the blower and take it into my shop for cleaning with 100#pressure air.After cleaning the pipes,I take my leaf blower and blow out all the dust from the back pump compartment of the furnace.Then I reinstall the blower and wire it up again.Experiment#4--------Before I reinstall the blower,I clean as much crud as I can from the air box.On the last cleaning,I got a quart of black hard and soft crud and there was more I couldn't reach.Also,I put about 1/4" of lime on the floor of the air box to try to neutralize the crud so it won't rust out the air box.Unless I see a reason not to put lime in the air box,I'll continue to do it each time I clean the stove.-------------I bought a spare flapper valve thinking I would keep a clean flapper to make the change quicker.My old flapper was all steel and the new one was stainless.It is such an improvement over the old valve I won't use the old one again.No more clapper noise when I load the stove.------------I hope someone benefits from the above.Feel free to ask if you have a question.-------shorman
Pages: 1 [2] 3