Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: just crushed my saw  (Read 3565 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
just crushed my saw
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »

Sorry to double post. I just saw this thread for equipment.  I use a husky 359 with a 24 in bar/chain.  I was cutting a 20 foot tall 3 foot diameter trunk and right when the tree started to fall my bar pinched.  The tree took my saw with it and crushed it.  I sell firewood as a side job and just lost half of this years profit with the saw.  The motor in all looks to be unscathed but I figure I'm gonna have  too much in parts and labor to justify fixing it.  I'm sick to my stomach.  My wife lost her job, the truck motor blew up, the lawnmore blew up, and we found out we were preganant all between tuesday and tuesday (1 week) so I decided to pick up firewood as a side job.  Things wer going well and making around 1500 a winter until now.

Trying to make ends meet ends meet and this happens.  Go figure

hddmax66

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: just crushed my saw
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:02:45 PM »

ive seen lots of non working saws come and go on ebay for pretty cheap. Give it a look maybe you can get one and swap parts

rhugg

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »

Man, I had two thoughts:

1) Sounds like a country song.
2) What HDD said

Things can only get better.

chadley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »

rh,

It felt like a country song.  I about cried. ;D  I've estimated approx 300 in parts not counting labor.  Two buddies estimated the same.  At that cost, I'm just going to buy a new saw i think.  The property owner is insisting on giving me 300.  I won't dare let him.  he is a neighbor (just met) who was nice enough to let me cut his down trees up.  he's trying to clear his property to build a house. 

My dad offered his 029 stihl to make it through the summer and then offered to buy me a new saw for my Masters graduation present.  I'm not sure I can accept that gift either due to his other financial help recently. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new saw exactly the same (359 husky)  I have two new bars (20 and 24) with 2 new 24 in chains and 3 resharpend 20 in chains that I can use on it.  Plus extra parts if the new one breaks down.

Jcl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »

almost had the same happen to me last week lucky for me the saw and tree went in different directions   You should barrow your dads  saw to finish your wood then wash and clean it for him that way you can still make some money.   you might also stop bye dealers around your area most like my shop have parts from broken saws lieing around the shop? 
wood doctor He5000
Block buster wood processior
Jd 855 backhoe

rhugg

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »

Don't be too proud to accept other peoples help.  It gives them satisfaction and is the right thing to do for our brothers. 

chadley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:33 PM »

i here ya rh.  I'm the type that helps others any time I can and in return take there help.  BUT I don't see where the property owner should feel any responsibilty for paying any money for my saw.  It wasn't his fault my saw got crushed.  I'm going to use my dads saw but I already owe him money he loaned me to buy a new (used) truck for wood and hunting plus he swapped me a equivalent vehicle with 50k less miles at no cost to me. I can't accept him buying me a new saw too.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »

I would just buy a used 359 if you liked it. I have seen them around $200. Your bars and chains will fit it too and you will have spare parts.

oldchenowth

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 05:31:42 AM »

Chadley,

How about investors in your endevour?  I will invest say $75 now and in three years you pay me back $90.  It isn't charity and gives you time to build your wood cutting business.  I get times are tough, that's why I want to help my brothers in their struggle. Find a couple more investors and we all win.  I'd do more, but things in Michigan aint much better than where you are.  i would be honored to help your cause.

Rich

hddmax66

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:24 PM »

If you use your dads saw make sure not to crush that one also! My first day of using my 700 dollars saw i almost crushed it. The tree fell in the wrong direction. It came as close as actually just barely touching enouch to make it move. I almost sh*t my pants