Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: larger pump  (Read 3792 times)

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
larger pump
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:36:22 AM »

Ok .. brain picking time .. dreaming of summer and using the OWB to heat my swimming pool.  I picked up a HX and looks like I now will need a bigger pump.  My current run is 100' (200 total including return) to the house exchanger .. the pool will be an additional 100' making it a 200' (400 counting return).  My current pump is too small .. so I have been told to look for a taco 0013 or B&G PL36 ... is there any other brand comparable that I should keep my eye out for?  As everyone in these times I am looking for a deal!!

thanks,
Steve
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175

yoda

• View Profile
Re: larger pump
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »

Here is the link to a guy on ebay who has a store on ebay, I bought a BG pl36 from him, I paid $169 last summer I don't know if that was a good price or not. I also bought a heat exchanger from him and had good luck. Oh I see the price has gone up

http://cgi.ebay.com/OUTDOOR-WOOD-FURNACE-BELL-AND-GOSSETT-CIRCULATING-PUMP_W0QQitemZ390022601602QQihZ026QQcategoryZ20598QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Northern MN

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:35:43 PM »

Ok .. brain picking time .. dreaming of summer and using the OWB to heat my swimming pool.  I picked up a HX and looks like I now will need a bigger pump.  My current run is 100' (200 total including return) to the house exchanger .. the pool will be an additional 100' making it a 200' (400 counting return).  My current pump is too small .. so I have been told to look for a taco 0013 or B&G PL36 ... is there any other brand comparable that I should keep my eye out for?  As everyone in these times I am looking for a deal!!

thanks,
Steve
Steve i have a taco 0011-F4 pump on my system i have had it for going on my 8th winter i am 250 feet from my stove i run a heat exchanger for my domestic water, rads for my heat plenium, a rad in my fireplace, a rad in my basemen pool room and radiant floor heat in a basement room of about 250 square feet.

my system is a little different than most...my pump is in my basement, when i built my stove i figured the basement is lower than the stove will be and it will be one less thing to worry about freezing if i was to have some sort of breakdown

so i am 500 feet on a round trip, i have never had a problem. i did however run 1 inch lines underground even though the guy selling me the pipe said 3/4 inch would do

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:39:21 PM »

I haven't seen many of the new B&Gs but I do like how the Taco cartridge circulators work.  Also, if you go to their website they have a nice place where you can see the specs on all of their pumps.  So you quickly can see how much head and flow your pump will be able to ummm, pump.
Pomeroy, Ohio

dirtconnector1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »

thanks,
Steve

my system is a little different than most...my pump is in my basement, when i built my stove i figured the basement is lower than the stove will be and it will be one less thing to worry about freezing if i was to have some sort of breakdown

so i am 500 feet on a round trip, i have never had a problem. i did however run 1 inch lines underground even though the guy selling me the pipe said 3/4 inch would do

Just sifting through the info on this wonderful site. I wonder if you can, willieG, tell me more about you setup. It sounds pretty close to what I want to do: DHW+ 900ft radiant+ 2 8000btu rads. I'll continue to mine info here and hope to answer my own questions but I need basic help with tempering valves, heatxcngr and such.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:24:41 PM by dirtconnector1 »

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »

seems like these questions always pop up , can you run a seperate set of lines off your owb for pool? when sizing a pump you also need to know the type of hx and size  ,there is a sizeable amount of head/flow to figure in the calculations as weel as the lenght /size of pipe.