Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Aluminum heat exchanger possible problems  (Read 2736 times)

yoda

• View Profile
Aluminum heat exchanger possible problems
« on: July 20, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »

Last year when I installed my boiler, to save some money,I made my own heat exchanger for my shop  out an automobile aluminum radiator. I noticed when ordering my new chemicals this year, on the company I use for chemicals, they do not rec aluminum in your system, does anyone have a a few years on an aluminum heat exchanger? Maybe dissimilar metals will cause corrosion?Maybe I shouild just change it out :bash:
Northern MN

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminum heat exchanger possible problems
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:09:41 AM »

i am not a metalurgest, but i would say you should be prepared to replace it soon. i remember when they first came out with aluminum rads in cars, it wasnt long before they started having problems because a lot of people didn't use the "aluminum compatable antifreeze"
I think maybe even the nitrates in your water may react with the aluminum

If your chemical supplier gives aluminum a thumbs down, they likley have a good reason. After all, they are supplying the chemicals, not the rad,, its not like they have a hidden agenda
just my thought on the subject, enjoy the summer
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

yoda

• View Profile
Re: Aluminum heat exchanger possible problems
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »

Thanks for the reply Willie, I went ahead and bought a different heat exchanger and installed it already, I put antifreeze in my system this year, so I didn't need that worry in the back of my head
Northern MN