Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help GOING CRAZY!!! One thermostat to control two heat sources  (Read 19056 times)

donahuej

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
Re: Help GOING CRAZY!!! One thermostat to control two heat sources
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 06:15:49 AM »

No I have not soled this one.  just a reminder - no heat pump in my system.  Just a propane furnace that I'm trying to keep only as a backup.  The Tekmar seem to be where I need to go - they are pricy.  Right now I'm using two thermos and it is working fine....just looks like crap.

This seems too easy!! We just need a programmable thermo with 2 stages of heat that has adjustable set points....

Ridgekid

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 06:22:03 AM »

You might might want to look at the Filtrete 3M-50 Thermostat at Home Depot.

donahuej

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile

Problem SOLVED]Well Ridgekid - the Filtrete 30 50 does the trick!!  It will work for almost any configuration I can think of using one of our wood boilers.  The key is the differential setting that is configurable on the 30 50 between two heat sources.  The honeywells wait like 4 min then kick the secondary heat source in to play, not what we want.  I was able to set a 10 degree delta between the boiler and my natural gas furnace burner coming on.  It works like a charm!!! :thumbup: And the darn thing is wireless with applications to mange it remotely!!!!  Here is how its wired for my configuration:

C - common hot to run the Wi-Fi
G - Open
Y - Yellow
W - Green (fan)
R- Red
W2 - White

So when Heat is called for just my forced air fan comes on (W), if the boiler is out of wood or the pump dies and the thermostat sees a 10 degree temperature drop the secondary (w2) comes on.  I may shorten the delta so the house doesn't get so cold if there is a problem, but right now I just do not want to use any natural gas!! The free software even has detailed logging to dial you system in.. an example below.  Thanks for all that provided input - I appreciate it.  If you have any questions, 'll do my best to help you out but this thermostat does the trick!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:36:03 AM by donahuej »

Ridgekid

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »

Sweet Thermostat huh? Glad it worked!!! :thumbup:

Now if you want to start doing some real data logging, head over to inthrma.com!! Right now it's still free and this is a new thermostat for that company. (They do proliphix thermostats) NOTE: For data logging to begin, you have to clear your browser cache after you create your account.

I still have the Aquastat controlling which heat source comes on. In other words if I am above 150F OWF temp only the fan kicks on. If I drop below, my heat pump will kick on. I also have Heating strips (AUX heat). Those will kick on if I drop below 4.5* below set point. My setpoints are:

6AM-10PM  74*/Day
10PM - 6AM 71*
SWING 1.5*
DIFF 4.5*
AIR FILTER 45 days
(Heat pump with Aux Heat (Efficient recovery) "B"

rick w

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage&main
  • OWF Model: portage&main ml 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »

i went through all of that and we finally installed a braeburn thermostat model3200  multi stage 2 heat 2 cool my electrican friend carl ran in to these and put one in his house and it worked good so he put one in my house and it has a settable heat differental mine is set to drop 2 degrees and turn on the blower.boiler go out temp drops 2 degrees the furnace kicks on and we are automaticaly on propain.they are 70.00 dollars but they elimanate the head aches. well worth the money. :) ;D

danjayh

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Maxim M175
    • View Profile

Problem SOLVED]Well Ridgekid - the Filtrete 30 50 does the trick!!  It will work for almost any configuration I can think of using one of our wood boilers.  The key is the differential setting that is configurable on the 30 50 between two heat sources.  The honeywells wait like 4 min then kick the secondary heat source in to play, not what we want.  I was able to set a 10 degree delta between the boiler and my natural gas furnace burner coming on.  It works like a charm!!! :thumbup: And the darn thing is wireless with applications to mange it remotely!!!!  Here is how its wired for my configuration:

C - common hot to run the Wi-Fi
G - Open
Y - Yellow
W - Green (fan)
R- Red
W2 - White

So when Heat is called for just my forced air fan comes on (W), if the boiler is out of wood or the pump dies and the thermostat sees a 10 degree temperature drop the secondary (w2) comes on.  I may shorten the delta so the house doesn't get so cold if there is a problem, but right now I just do not want to use any natural gas!! The free software even has detailed logging to dial you system in.. an example below.  Thanks for all that provided input - I appreciate it.  If you have any questions, 'll do my best to help you out but this thermostat does the trick!! ;D

Hey, sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just picked up the Filtrete 3M-50 last night.  I can't seem to set the DIFF above 4.5 ... I was just wondering how you achieved 10 degrees of differential?  I plan to have my setback during the day be 8-10 degrees, so unless I can figure this out, I'll probably have to bring it back  :-\

If I can't get it working, I'm just going to mount a snap disc thermal switch on my PEX and have it redirect the heat request signal between the 'heat' pin and the 'fan' pin at the furnace.  I'm already planning on using a snap disc thermal switch to run the furnace fan continuously if the water time ever drops below ~45 or so (to prevent freezing), so it would be minimal extra effort.  I just liked the idea of being able to see if the boiler is working from the thermostat's screen...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:36:19 PM by danjayh »

Gunpowder

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 12:06:12 AM »

Reviving an old thread but I read in a review of the Honeywell Th8320 WiFi that a guy successfully used it with his wood boiler and LP gas furnace. No idea how it was wired though. I am still digging as I have the TH8320 already before I installed the boiler.

Ok team – I have worn out the search function on this site and I think I have a fairly simple problem I’m trying to solve, help is appreciated; here it goes:

Looking to run one thermostat to control two heat sources:

System configuration:

- Outdoor boiler on/off on aqua stat in the unit & pump runs 24 x 7 (so no need to control anything out there)

- Inside forced hot air system with water to air heat exchanger

The issue; I’ve tried a number of professional Honeywell thermostats ( I have the 7600 right now) to control two heat sources.  The heat pump with emergency backup is out as I have no heat pump and I don’t want my condenser running while I’m trying to heat :bash:.  So I went to the two stage heat, it works but I can’t configure the settings, I can’t change the temperatures.  I called Honeywell to verify my connections they said everything was correct and the only way to use any Honeywell in this configuration is to use the non configurable two stage heat.  I’ve attached a picture of what I have done, the yellow lines are how I’m setup in the 2 heat stage mode and it works but the furnace kicks on after about five min of the fan just running so it defats the purpose of running the OWB.   I realize I can go the two thermo route – just feel like we are smarter than this problem and I just have the wrong thermo – any thoughts?  Trying to stay away from adding switches (I can think of a few ways to do that) and or additionally relays, trying to make this as straight forward for the wife and kids while I’m away on business. HELP!!! :-[

Thanks,

Jamie
3pt Speeco splitter
2016 22 Ton Iron & Oak V/H splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65
Pages: 1 [2]