Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 49 deg in the house yesterday morn its time (? about pump)  (Read 4504 times)

doow14

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
49 deg in the house yesterday morn its time (? about pump)
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:07:36 AM »

crawled out about 4:30 yesterday 49 in the house I guess its time to take the shiver off with the shaver,I was hopin too hold off till nov 1 oh well.ran for a few hours then the dhw pump quit I had an extra one that is used (wilo star) it is stuck on max volume is that the way most of you do that, or run the slower setting? its on and running but I never read anything on here good about the wilos,need to start thinkin about a new back up pump any suggestions? also I bench tested the one I took off it still ran? It wasn't running at all when it was still installed water lines wer cool.Just wanderin if they get weak and wont run under a load I checked the conections and the outlet before takin it off.Whats your thoughts? Dwight
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: 49 deg in the house yesterday morn its time (? about pump)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 06:45:01 PM »

quite often on first start of the year there is air in the lines (or in the pump) from the water cooling down and not moving all summer. the air seperates from the water some and at start up yo may have to loosen a flange at a pump to let teh air out. perhaps there is nothing wrong with the pump you changed?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 05:43:04 AM »

hopfully that's the case,and I still have this one for a backup.Whats you alls expeience with pumps when they fail is it just all at once and their done or can they go gradual and just get weak?Dwight
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »

How did you test it? Did you just listen to the motor run or actually watch the impeller spin?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »

i have seen 2 pumps recover from air locks..both pumps were grinding and squealing loudly when chanced upon. unplugged them for the rest of the day and restarted them, opening the outgoing flanges a whisker and they started pumping. from what i know both these pumps are still working one was two years ago and one was this year. it may not happen all the time but it is worth a shot?
 at least you should be able to test the thing when it is off the stove
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:48:03 AM »

I could see the impeller turning ,only let it run a couple seconds I know it aint good too let them run dry.The backup did the same thing last night didn't seem like it was moving much if any water I opend the bleeder screw some it took a few seconds until it started squiting water.All was fine this morning.that dhw was so hot this morn nearly scalded my skin off got to love that.Had our first snow this am when I went out to fill the stove.Its coming boys.Thanks for the input.stay warm.

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 12:05:57 AM »

Sometimes a piece of lime can get caught in the impeller. Maybe when you take the pump out it dislodged and it starting running. Its a good idea to run the pumps a couple times during the summer. My domestic pump would not start this fall, its a Armstrong Astro. There is a cap you can remove and turn the impeller on them with a screwdriver, I did and It been running for about 3 weeks now. Sometimes they are just stuck!

Greg Steinacher

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »

Sometimes a piece of lime can get caught in the impeller. Maybe when you take the pump out it dislodged and it starting running. Its a good idea to run the pumps a couple times during the summer. My domestic pump would not start this fall, its a Armstrong Astro. There is a cap you can remove and turn the impeller on them with a screwdriver, I did and It been running for about 3 weeks now. Sometimes they are just stuck!

Greg Steinacher

This is the EXACT comment I made in an earlier post on here...that I did NOT run my pump during the off season and last October 2012 when I lit the furnace off, I noticed the pump was NOT operating.  I did have a back up pump and installed it.

There was a couple fellas on here...one I believe is a Hardy dealer who said the pumps should not lock up and that it was due to the rust blocker solution I had in the boiler.  I emphatically stated that the rust blocker was fine and that is was junk from my well water.  I took the pump apart and sure enough, there was a piece of sediment wedged in the pump so as to NOT allow it to turn.

This past summer I let the same brand pump run all summer long and upon start up I had NO issues...so either allow th pump to run all off season...cost just pennies to do so, or run it every so often during the summer...BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TELL ME OR INSIST UPON ME THAT IT IS THE RUSTBLOCKER AND NOT THE PUMP!    :bash:
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

my pump is in its 13th season..i shut it down normally some time in april and start it again  about late october. i have never started it one time in the off season and so far it has never failed (and when it does i will replace it without one moan)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »

My neighbors pump locked up due to sediment from his well. Rust blocker will do nothing to the sediment from the well except put a coating on it. When I fill the hot tub I put a filter on the end of the hose to catch the small crap that comes up after a long continued pump run, if no filter is used it's not hard to see small stuff laying on the tub bottom.