Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

Are prior or previous owners of Hawken happy with their OWB?

yes
- 14 (56%)
no
- 11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Pleased with Hawken?  (Read 30546 times)

12valve

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL-3444
    • View Profile
Re: Pleased with Hawken?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:27 AM »

I am happy with mine.  It is a simply design, ya it burns alot of wood but that is what i expected.  Most all non gasses rip through the wood.  I  heat 3000 sq feet and get a easy 12-14 hour burn.  That is all I can ask for.  House is set at 74 deg. 24/7.

Johnv656

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »

I am happy with mine.  It is a simply design, ya it burns alot of wood but that is what i expected.  Most all non gasses rip through the wood.  I  heat 3000 sq feet and get a easy 12-14 hour burn.  That is all I can ask for.  House is set at 74 deg. 24/7.

Couldn't be happier with mine either, I have the larger no gasser (due to building a barn soon) but currently heating 2500 sq ft, keep the house at 74 and heat my water also, fill every 24 hours.
Went away for 2 days and the outside temps were in the teens, turned the hose down to 70 degrees.
Would of probably went one more day beore needing wood.

joehawken

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: GX10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

Much more respectable reply joe  :thumbup:

To add pics to the forum I upload to photobucket and then put the links on here...

Thanks man - I do want to contribute positively to this forum and to help prospective converts.  I really go the extra mile to put in GOOD dealers whom I train, support and spend as much time as needed to ensure that our customers have a good installer and service tech. 
Most of my guys are old WoodMaster, Pro Fab (Empyre) and Wood Doctor dealers.  WoodMaster is still a good company and I liked their dealer base alot.  WoodDoctor - had some issues, but that was not the dealers fault.
I also worked for Empyre in the past.  I like their product - in fact our outdoor is very similar to the Pro Series..
Anyway - thanks for the kudos - let's try and help people buy and operate good boilers. 
My preference being the Hawken of course.  ;D
Joe

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »

One thing nobody ever seems to bring up.  All of these outdoor wood burners are made on the North American Continent (I think).  They all burn domestic renewable energy.  I'd think a lot of propane comes from imported oil.  (You may correct me.)  It's almost patriotic to be using a wood burner.   

Lots of other heating equipment is not made here.  Big money spent on those heating appurtenances is money that is out of the country.  It's gone.  The country is poorer.  It's like the big Wall Street types when they hide  their money in some Caribbean bank.

When you swing that axe for your Hawken wood burner, you just might be taking a swing for America.   

ready4more72

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »

We purchased a new woodstove from a totally different company. We couldn't be more pleased! We have changed nothing with the set up in our home or in our shop. We only purchased a new stove. We have not had one problem since we purchased the new one. We no longer own the Hawken. We have had nights below 20 degrees and haven’t had any problems. With the Hawken we would have problems on a sunny 50 degree day! As of today we are going on almost 19 hours since we put wood in it. It is below 30 snowing and blowing out and the stove is still burning & our house is toasty warm & so is our shop!
Now tell me again that the problem was our shop & home? Either Hawkens stove has a design flaw or that stove had a flaw but NO one wanted to fix it!
We purchased a new Woodmaster 5500.

chaikwa

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: HE-2100
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »

What model Hawken did you have?

ready4more72

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 06:03:19 AM »

We had a HE-2100. It is rated to heat 10,000 sq ft. It wouldn't do half that. It did not matter how we built the fire in the stove. We could check it at midnight and it would be out by 5 am and the house would be freezing! So any BS excuse anyone attempts to give is just that BS. The stove did not work! We had the company out several times and they kept blaming our shop. Well now what is the excuse? We have a different stove that is rated for the same sq ft & it works perfectly.

Schavis

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: GX-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »

RUN RUN RUN FAR FAR AWAY FROM HAWKEN.  They do not live up to their written promises, nor do they respect their customers.  And certainly their guarantee is only as good as..... well you get the idea...
RUN RUN RUN AWAY... DON'T BUY A HAWKEN... BUY SOMETHING....ANYTHING ELSE...

chaikwa

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 12:08:39 PM »

Well I am sorry you had problems with your Hawkens, and I've been holding off on posting because I was in the middle of installing mine and couldn't really comment with any first hand knowledge. Now I can tho.

I am heating a 6000sf house that has no insulation and an antiquated hot water baseboard heating system and also an uninsulated barn of 3000sf that has one entire wall comprised of single pane, floor to ceiling windows. The last couple of weeks our temps have been about 20 degrees below 0 at night, just about 0 during the day and a stiff north wind ALL the time. The Hawken had no trouble what-so-ever heating these 2 buildings. Yes, it chewed thru some wood, but I never had any preconceptions of 12 or 24 hour burn times at those temps!

My Hawken rep has been here to my property no less than 5 times, just to make sure I didn't need anything and to see that everything was going well with my installation. He even came by the morning I fired it up, just to be sure everything was ok.

I am very glad I didn't run away from Hawken.

Schavis

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 02:14:52 AM »

dear chaikwa.   glad to hear you are happy... your furnace is good for your place...
Your Hawken rep obviously cares.

Our furnace is WRONG, the burn times are short, and our rep calls us back after several days and several phone calls...
Looks like Hawken does care about the few, but they should care about everyone...

Still no results, or sleep for us... We did have a mild night last night and the furnace had a 10 hour burn... WOW, luxury, but it is not even really cold out....

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 08:14:08 AM »

Schavis,

Sorry for your situation. I do have an idea which would allow you to heat your home with your current boiler. A popular method in Europe is the large water heat storage system. What they do is use wood gassification boilers to heat large insulated water store to 180 degrees and then use the hot water off of this storage for an extended period of time depending on the size. A popular size is 1000 gallons but any extra tank capacity would help you a lot. Your BTU load that the house require obviously won't change but you will be able to use the boiler to build this water store up to temperature and let it go out after it has reached temp until the house brings the water temp in the tank down to a level that it won't sufficiently heat the house any longer. After that you fire the boiler again for a period of time(however long it takes to bring the tank to temp). A popular storage tank is old 500 gallon propane tanks. You can buy these for a reasonable price and then have them sprayfoamed for insulation. I know this sounds like a big project and I know that you wish that you had gotten a larger boiler but if getting a different boiler is not in the cards this would be a way to make your system actually work for you. 

chaikwa

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »

Schavis,

Sorry for your situation. I do have an idea which would allow you to heat your home with your current boiler. A popular method in Europe is the large water heat storage system. What they do is use wood gassification boilers to heat large insulated water store to 180 degrees and then use the hot water off of this storage for an extended period of time depending on the size. A popular size is 1000 gallons but any extra tank capacity would help you a lot. Your BTU load that the house require obviously won't change but you will be able to use the boiler to build this water store up to temperature and let it go out after it has reached temp until the house brings the water temp in the tank down to a level that it won't sufficiently heat the house any longer. After that you fire the boiler again for a period of time(however long it takes to bring the tank to temp). A popular storage tank is old 500 gallon propane tanks. You can buy these for a reasonable price and then have them sprayfoamed for insulation. I know this sounds like a big project and I know that you wish that you had gotten a larger boiler but if getting a different boiler is not in the cards this would be a way to make your system actually work for you.

I've heard this works really well too. I'd give it a shot before I spent money on another boiler.

Schavis

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »

dear hondaracer2oo4   
Thanks for the idea... The entire purpose to buying from a reputable company is that they know what they are doing... WELL, this certainly didn't prove true with HAWKEN.  They just sold us the only thing they had and hoped for the best, well it didn't work... now they say tough... I just wanted to put it out there for everyone to see.  We really don't have any space to put such huge storage tanks, our city only allows 1 out building or structure, and we have that now... so, the long story short, too late, is that we need to have a furnace that is properly sized to our current system and our house's heating needs.
Thanks again for your reply.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »

I feel for you, not everyone has a scott, RSI, or slim in there area to install. Its really showing that many dealers will push whatever they have left in their inventory , regardless if it fits. Sounds like a pyramid scheme by the manufacutrers. Too many bad dealers are giving the good ones a bad rep.

However, IF you have to make your system work, I posted a link from Siegenthaler on wood boiler applications. There are many picture diagrams and full explanations of equipment and controls and staging with storage. Using storage actually makes your system more efficient anyways. Anytime you reduce or eliminate idling , it save wood. A simple 120 gallon tank will work , it doesnt have to be huge. I would suggest a full calculation of X # of gallons would do for you. Most of the indoor boilers are 60-200kbtu size and they heat 500 gal in 4 hours flat out gasing. This is recover time not cold start. 160 on and 180-185 off. several of those 1000-2000 gal storage heat the house for 2-3 days without firing again. The LP tank doesnt have to be indoors and it doesnt have to be pressure. Some are just framing a box around it and spray foaming.
Anyways even if you dont keep the hawken, the storage will work with anything, and its easy to sell off. Youll see storage equipment and controls dont last long on CL or the forums.  good luck
Michigan Thumber

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »

Nice suggestion Honda

I see the GX-10 is a pretty small boiler with only about 100 gallons of water.  Even Hawken only rates it for 3500 square feet and we all know that manufacture ratings are really best case scenario.  Reality is about 1/2 of the rating.

Lots of options for more storage, just use your imagination.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6