Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 122802 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »

Well I finnished fabbing most of the smoke bypass box tonight.I think it came out fairly nice.I made the door from 3/8" plate scrap I had laying around.I then had to weld 3 holes shut in the middle of it.Made a rope seal channel and put in the rope seal.Took some pipe section and two  1/2" shoulder bolts for my pivot point.
I decided not to cut the hole for the exhaust stack as I have not yet decided on the size i am using.
Well here is a few more pics for your entertainment.....
 :pic:

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2010, 07:10:19 PM »

Well we had a good night tonight.Temps were back up in the 70's :D
I managed to fill the boiler full of water to double check for any leaks.I found one spot that was just barely sweating a little moisture.So I am pretty happy about that.
I then drained all the water back out.Made some brackets that the control panel mounts ,and then decided on a position and welded them to the tank.
I then decided on a position for the thermocouple tube to go into the water tank.Fired up the plasma cutter and made an oval hole in the top.Cool thing was that when i finnished the cut the air blowing into the tank made the cut out piece blow out onto the top of the tank and not fall inside. :thumbup:
I welded the tube in just were i wanted it.I have it angled as my thermocouple is about 20" long.I wanted to be able to easily pull it out if I need to replace it after the outer enclosure is built.
I then welded up the corners on the load door.I need to get the doors built and mounted.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »

I also got the bypass box finnished.I drilled and tapped all the holes to bolt the lid on it.I made it removeable so when it comes time to replace the rope seal on the bypass door it will be easy to get to.
I welded it onto the top of the tank.I then put the bypass door in so it is done.Only thing left to do is cut the exhaust stack hole ,and mount a rod to open the bypass door.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2010, 07:00:01 PM »

Well I got some work done on the boiler tonight finally.I had spent the last few days redoing the outside wall on my stable.Had to pull off the old plywood and the old girt boards.Put on new girts,OSB,and then metal siding.Then back filled the side with gravel.
So today after getting home from work I managed to fabricate my hinge assembly for the burn chamber door.Weld in the channel strips to hole the rope seal.drill and mount the hinge,and adjust the door.Boy was I pleased when it swung open real nice! :D
I then started on the lock bracket.Got it designed and cut the pieces to get the fit I wanted.I will mount it tomorrow.
I will throw a few pics up here for you guys to get you caught up on the progress.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2010, 07:08:18 PM »

Ok here is a few of the hinge being built and of the door mounted and swung open. :thumbup:
The door is not yet finnished.I still have to weld on an insulating box on the inside of the door.Plus fill it with K-wool so it will be insulated.I will do that tomorrow.
I also have some more fittings I need to weld to the tank.I have the day off tomorrow so I plan on trying to get a lot done.(I HOPE)
later everyone.....

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

bikeralan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2010, 02:45:42 AM »

Lookin good! bet you can't wait to get her goin'

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2010, 05:47:14 AM »

Lookin good! bet you can't wait to get her goin'

Your right I can't wait.I need to get some heat going to my house!Luckily we have had some mild temps for this time of year.I hope to have it all done in 2 weeks.Just depends if all my parts ever get here before then. :bash:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »

Well I finnished most of the door today.fabbed the dome frame for the inside to hold the K-Wool to insulate the door.Spent most of the day working out the details of that.everything is 1/4" material ,and boy did this door get heavy. :o
After welding the dome together I then welded studs to the door to hold the dome on so I could remove it if I needed to for some reason.Took a little doing to get everything to align up.After the studs were in the right location ,and welded solid.I then put on three layers of K-Wool to insulate the door.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2010, 07:24:23 PM »

Next up I then put the dome down on top of the studs and K-Wool.Then tightened it all down with Brass nuts on the 5/8" studs to hold it all together.
I finnished the handle and the lock mechanism ,and got them mounted also.
I then welded in some couplers fo rthe Stainless Steel dry wells I had got ahold of for my high temp aqua stat ,and one down low where the pumps mount to see what the temp going to the house is.
I had a heck of a time with those dry wells.They were no standard pipe thread,but were Standard British pipe thread.So I had to order the couplers through my buddys shop.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »

Tonight I was able to get an angle iron frame welded on to the rear of the stoves gassification chamber access hole.I then made a door ,and then drilled the holes and welded in studs to hold the door on.I then made a nice horse shoe handle to use to be able to remove and install the access cover. :thumbup:

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2010, 07:35:09 PM »

Well I have been working 12 hours the last half of this week so nothing much has gotten done on the boiler.I did make a few pieces but nothing spectacular until today.The Fedex driver brought and dropped off the next piece of the puzzle today.
My blower is finally here after a couple weeks of fighting with the credit card company on getting my order approved. :bash:
I finally have it ,and got it for a good price.
I paid $97 with shipping for my Dayton blower.Ball bearing motor and over 500 cfm to feed air to both chambers. :thumbup:
Grainger wants over $160 for this blower before shipping.I picked it up at USA Industrial supply.Nice folks to deal with.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

quik_vw

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »

I know your getting anxious to fire this baby up!  It's been a pleasure to follow your progress and I find myself on the edge of my seat waiting for feedback on the operation and performance of this jewel.  I appreciate you taking the time to share the build with all of us here.  Keep up the good work and I am sure your efforts will be greatly rewarded............

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »

I know your getting anxious to fire this baby up!  It's been a pleasure to follow your progress and I find myself on the edge of my seat waiting for feedback on the operation and performance of this jewel.  I appreciate you taking the time to share the build with all of us here.  Keep up the good work and I am sure your efforts will be greatly rewarded............
Yes i am ready to light a fire already.I have been working 12 hours all week and just haven't been able to get much done on it.President Obama and VP Biden are coming to our plant on tuesday.It has been a mad house preparing for them.As a millwright in the plant I have been making all kinds of stuff.We made a blast shelter for them to get behind just in case something happened. ::)
I am excited to have them come to our factory and tour it.
I will be having a 4 day weekend after wednesday.So I would say look for some major progress pic this weekend as I plan to get alot done.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

quik_vw

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2010, 06:03:18 AM »

Obama was here to address our high school graduating class, so I can imagine what your going thru, it was interesting watching the scout planes and helicopters checking rooftops.  Also, those Secret Service guys aren't no joke!  The told the homeowners near where his helicopter landed NOT TO BE SEEN IN ANY UPSTAIRS WINDOWS...........because the consequences would not be good...lol
Back to your project, your in the home stretch and I am sure 4 days will allow for much progress even with a nap from a large holiday meal.  I too hope to get lots done this week.  I am interested to see how your fire path will work, ie; size of opening to the secondary burn chamber etc.  I am assuming the by-pass door is for an upward draft upon start up?  Your so close, I am sure you will not get in a hurry and bring this baby home!
8 acres? think that would be enuff to work out the bugs in my processor?  I am hoping to do that in 5 acres or less. :-\  I have some cross members to add to the tongue section and the log trough will tie it all together, I tend to build on the "heavy" side.  When it's done I think the question may be will the 3500 lb. axles be enough?  Keep pressing on bro.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21