Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pressure Guages  (Read 2362 times)

jedc43

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL-6048
    • View Profile
Pressure Guages
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:19:14 PM »

hi all,
  new to the forum...we recently bought a house in Mass and I am now a owner of a Central Boiler cl-6048.Does anyone know what the pressure guage reading should be from the heat exchanger to the OWB....and the pressure from the Heat exchanger  to the oil burner.I just drained my OWB and refilled with the proper chemicals and changed all the filters....I think I am familiar with just about everything but the amount of pressure generated by the circulator pump....I realize that it might be differant from stove to stove but I am just looking for a ballpark figure on what to look for before I start burning in a couple of weeks.    ...My OWB is about 150 feet domnhill from my home...my home is about 3400 Sqft with radiant floor heat and baseboard heat....all forced Hot water  wich also heats my Domestic hot water......
                                                                                                                                                                         Thanks ,
                                                                                                                                                                                 Marc

muffin

• View Profile
Re: Pressure Guages
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »

Should be 0.  It is an unpressurized system.  I suppose you might get a couple psi from elevation????

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »

You get about 1 PSI for every 2.3' of elevation. The amount the pump raises it beyond that will depend on how much restriction you have.

jedc43

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »

So if my boiler is around 20 feet below my house in elevation...the pressure guage should be around 10 PSI

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »

I'm curious as to why you are concerned with pressures?  It's an open system and the only psi produced is from elevation and restrictions

Are you worried something is gonna blow up, or are you sizing pumps?
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:25:23 PM »

So if my boiler is around 20 feet below my house in elevation...the pressure guage should be around 10 PSI
If your boiler is lower than the house (and the pressure gauge is in the house) it will actually be a negative pressure if the pump is off and there are no leaks that could let air in. The pressure with the pump on would entirely depend on restriction after the gauge and the pump size.

jedc43

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »

I'm curious as to why you are concerned with pressures?  It's an open system and the only psi produced is from elevation and restrictions

Are you worried something is gonna blow up, or are you sizing pumps?
...no..no worries about explosions....just curious...never had this type of stove before and I am trying to monitor pressure so I know when to change filters