Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plumbed Wrong?  (Read 5233 times)

jedc43

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL-6048
    • View Profile
Plumbed Wrong?
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »

hi all,
  here is a picture of my plumbing comming from my OWB to my heat exchanger.I am told that the drain spout should be between the two shutoffs so I am able to bleed all the air out when I change my filters.Is this a big issue?Is there a way to flush out that air?I would like to note that on the left side of the temperature guage there is a valve that is plumbed to add water from my well.would the pressure from turning the water on be enough to force the air from above the filter?

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:58:05 PM by jedc43 »

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Plumbed Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »

the air should be pushed back to the wb, you shouldnt have to bleed anything.
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »

I have no idea why the installer did half of the things he did on that installation... 

I've never seen anyone that "had to" run a filter, and all those pressure gauges make me shake my head
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »

iam shore he is fowling the wrong line. that looks like 1/2 copper line .
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »

The pressure gauges would really concern me. If those babies are on a outdoor furnace system and are showing more than a few lbs of pressure you need to have some things changed before using the system.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 10:05:10 PM »

Are those gauges on the supply or return side of the filter? Perhaps the purpose is for monitoring for an increase in pressure/gpm if on the supply side of the filter or a reduction in pressure/gpm if on the return side of the filter. If monitored regularily, that would tell you when you would need to change the filter cartridge because of restriction. Perhaps the installer felt the fill water was not good or trying to take extra percaution against fouling a plate exchanger. Personally I'm not a fan of filters.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »

Are those gauges on the supply or return side of the filter? Perhaps the purpose is for monitoring for an increase in pressure/gpm if on the supply side of the filter or a reduction in pressure/gpm if on the return side of the filter. If monitored regularily, that would tell you when you would need to change the filter cartridge because of restriction. Perhaps the installer felt the fill water was not good or trying to take extra percaution against fouling a plate exchanger. Personally I'm not a fan of filters.

A lot of times I think dealers just take advantage of innocent or uneducated folks and sell them a whole lsundry list of stuff they don't need. 

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

plumb bob

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: CL 5036
  • still green
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:20:31 AM »

Also looks like black pipe was used. Head shaking.

jedc43

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »

the air should be pushed back to the wb, you shouldnt have to bleed anything.
Thats what I thought but apparently the air stays over the filter

jedc43

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »

I have no idea why the installer did half of the things he did on that installation... 

I've never seen anyone that "had to" run a filter, and all those pressure gauges make me shake my head
I was told the pressure guages are there to let you know when to change the filters...keeping the water free from debris and particulates makes the heat transfer more efficient...I did not hook up this system...I bought the home last winter and inherited everything that I know nothing about.I went to Mainline in Ashford Conn and they had me buy all kinds of stuff...filter cartridges,rust inhibiter,ph rite,pump cartridges,damper selonoid,ash nutralizer....I drained the whole system(about 300+ gallons)...they said I should do it every 4 years.....Any advise on what is overkill would be appreciated

jedc43

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »

They are on the supply side and yes they are there to monitor increase of pressure...are you telling me I dont need any of that  huey?...just pipe and a temperature guage

jedc43

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »

Just so everyone knows...my stove is a central boiler cl 6048..I was told that one of the most important things to do is to monitor ph and nitrate levels so the steel does not rust..this seemed logical to me or is that just bull to get me to buy more crap?

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »

Water monitoring is the life of your unit..

Whoever told you all those filters made it more efficient was kidding themselves, more than likely

But yep, water level ph, conductivity, and nitrite level are very important
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 07:15:18 PM »

there is nothing wrong with a filter (i have one and that may be a reason my taco 0011 is going into its 11th year?)  and although i find changing my filter each year is fine and i use no gauge, i guess a gauge before the filter would let you know if the filter was dirty. If the pressure normally ran at say 5 psi and then you looked a month later and it was at 7 or 8 that would be an indication that the pump was working harder to push fluid through the filter. thus, a dirty filter. i would say the filter is not needed if you change the filter yearly, but to each his own.

i use a filter becasue my unit is home made and made entirly of carbon steel and i know it will give off rust, my filter catches that rust (or most of it) and that keeps my exchangers (hopefully) running longer and more efficient
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:58:52 AM »

I have been considering adding a filter to mine as well. I am glad to see a little discussion on the subject. As for that laundry list, I didn't see anything on there you won't need eventually. Things like pump cartridges and damper solenoids you will be very grateful to have an a shelf some cold night when they go out. Mine is only two years old but I do plan to have a stash of such parts very soon.
Pages: [1] 2