Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Get to know me!  (Read 58355 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Get to know me!
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »

Well I have to say sluggo you nailed slimjim lmao. I helped slim and his partner at the fryberg fair up in Maine in sept for three days. And two boiler installs in Vermont.Hope to do more installs with slim and Dan ,every one is different I  learn something new every time I hangout with these guys. . Slim is very good at what he does and will call you back. Most often he answers first time.
       I put in a G-200 in August ran it for two months. It works so well I wanted to become a dealer here in NY. Finally hooked up with slim. And he has been a big help. Thanks slimjim.

Pretty much how I got into it, was impressed enough with Heatmaster and the good folks that work there I wanted to sell em as well, if I don’t sell one to somebody I’ll still offer my two cents worth if asked and hopefully they can avoid the mistakes I made on my first install.

Was fifteen years ago and the local Woodmaster dealer gave me advice to the best of his knowledge, back then the best I could do was dial up so spending hours researching on the web was more than a little aggravating waiting for pages to load. Every thing works, just not as well as it should. I need to redo the sidearm as it’s mounted a little too high and doesn’t have cross flow on the boiler side. Also need to reverse the hookups on the water to air heat exchanger. Actually just going to start over with one inch copper and do it right and do it once.

Do I blame Woodmaster dealers for bad advice, nope. He gave me the best advice he could given his knowledge at the time.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2016, 06:40:43 PM »

35 Self employed residential building contractor. Getting married to long time sweetheart in Sept. Avid outdoorsman , hunting ,fishing ,cutting wood ,working around our 5 acre farm. Plenty to do with a fairly original 1840 2500 sf farm house and keeping the property up to the honey's expectations. We pretty much build most of the things we need like buildings ,log splitter ,wood wagon with davit and winch , and must like fixing things with the fleet of old tractors we have. I do most of my own plumbing ,electrical ,welding\fabbing ,and repurposing of almost anything. I have a 10 year old yellow lab who's my best friend. And after a long days work I love a cold Bud or two... oh yeah and if we don't have enough to do with our time buddy of mine bought 30 acres and we are starting a christmas tree farm. Maybe should have my head looked at
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2016, 02:39:02 AM »

Hey Al, I saw an old small hoe yesterday for sale someplace, if you are still interested in one, I'll try to remember where I saw it.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2017, 05:55:51 AM »

I am seventy three  years old, but don't feel it. I have cut wood all my life and still cut wood.  I always tried to figure out a way not to burn propane. Started with a Buck stove in my fireplace. Moved up to a used Woodmaster that lasted fourteen years. It didn't quite I wanted to change it out for a Portage and Maine BL 2840.  Woodmaster was way over sized. Sold it to a guy that heats two houses. My wife and I live on seventy acres that has been in my family for one hundred and forty-five years. A while back I had the privilege of meeting Slim when we were on Vacation.
installed in 2014

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2017, 03:22:36 PM »

One of our guys from the VFW bought  place in Belize (British Honduras), guess he didn’t want to hang in Florida with the other old farts that bought winter places there.

He really likes scuba diving…

We have an open invitation to fly down anytime we want, neither the wife or I are much into tropical climates.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 03:11:32 AM »

Welcome wreckit!
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 07:14:23 AM »

Is this you Darin? Welcome over here from the Facebook page.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »

Marty, I know it's not for everybody- my dad HATES tropical anything. I was to Belize in 2015 and found it to be cool as sh!t, as I am a diver as well. Not much to see in the local mud water so I try to hit somewhere cool every winter and see what's under the surface. My favorite thing about DR is it's CHEAP! Spent a month there in 2014 after my neck ordeal and only spent like $1700 total, including air. If ever you get the travel bug I suggest getting down there!

Thanks Yoder!

And Jon, yes it's me. Thank you

Bluegrass Wood Burner

• OWF Brand: Ozzark Biomass
  • OWF Model: Gasconade 500 gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »

Hi, I'm the man known as the Bluegrass Woodburner. I'm 56 years old, 5-9 220 lbs. been married to my wife for 38 wonderful years. We live in the mammoth cave area of Ky. We have 3 grown children and 5 grandsons. I work for a company in Deteoit Michigan and travel 3 states every week on my job. Home every night. We live in an old elementary school house. Heating 5400 square feet. I'm a baptist preacher and have pastured 6 different churches the last 20 years and am now pastor of a church about 5 miles from where I live. I enjoy working with firewood and am a raiser of fancy poultry for exhibition. Only owned a boiler for about 3 years now and am very glad to have installed one. The folks who we bought this schoolhouse from had 600.00-800.00 heating bills in cold weather. Our electric bills run around 100.00 -140.00. Enjoy all your discussions.
South central Kentucky
Ford F-150
16 ft tandem trailer
3000# winch
Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna 460 rancher
6ft spud bar
Poulan 3314
22 ton lowes splitter
Timberline sharpener
"Worn out body"

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2017, 09:56:28 PM »

Marty, I know it's not for everybody- my dad HATES tropical anything. I was to Belize in 2015 and found it to be cool as sh!t, as I am a diver as well. Not much to see in the local mud water so I try to hit somewhere cool every winter and see what's under the surface. My favorite thing about DR is it's CHEAP! Spent a month there in 2014 after my neck ordeal and only spent like $1700 total, including air. If ever you get the travel bug I suggest getting down there!

Thanks Yoder!

And Jon, yes it's me. Thank you

Meh, I get enough heat and humidity during the summer. Wife is a congenital heart patient, too much of either heat or humidity does her in very quickly. However European winters agree with the both of us. Last trip there to visit her family we jumped in her cousins car, drove to Dover, seen the white horsey on the cliff then got on the chunnel and ended up in Calais, drove from there to Normandy. Was 62 degrees in France the third week of December. Next time to England I’ve been talking to the cousins and thinking of spending a week in Normandy, for next to nothing you can camp, AKA army tent like M*A*S*H but with real beds. Dunkirk isn’t that far from Calais either, just the opposite direction of Normandy.

Doesn’t cost us hardly anything once we are there though, airfare kinda sucks, first time there we flew AA in cattle class, then got delayed after boarding the plane. Big beefy farm kids ain’t meant to sit in cattle class for three hours before it even gets in the air. We now fly British Airways exclusively, they have four classes on international flights, one class is between cattle and business, seats are 6 inches wider with 8 inches more leg room and they recline a LOT further than cattle. Get an extra bag per person, better meals and higher dollar free hooch. Best part is half the time we’ve flown with BA have been upgraded to business where the real good hooch is. Stay with her aunt and she won’t let us pay for anything, usually stay at least three weeks and get farmed off to various cousins for the day and usually includes dinner with em, they won’t let us pay for anything either. However after the first visit none of her family are willing to pay for my drinks anymore, weird huh? It’s not like I single handedly try to make sure all the local pubs and breweries are operating in the black while I’m there or anything although I have a fondness for Carlisle or Kings IPA. And as much as I hate stereotypes, don’t ever match drink for drink with an Irish truck driver, you’re head will hurt for many days afterwards. New Years at the Conservative Club (think like our VFW or Legion) and I’d buy a round of pints, he’d bring back a round of Jack and Coke, I’d buy a round of pints, he’d get a round of Beam and Coke, and so on from 7pm till 4am. I did the USA proud though and hung with em all night, so remember that guys if you see my gofundme page for a new liver.

Her aunt lives on the coast in Felixstowe, doesn’t take long to get from there back to Heathrow even using public transport and once at Heathrow or Luton the rest of europe is a short flight away, took less than an hour on a easyjet to get to Inverness, from there a short car ride to a lodge on Loch Ness, 3 days and 2 nights there. Theres a reason some of the more famous military men are scotsman or of scottish decent, that land is rugged like nothing I’ve ever seen, the sissies die young before getting a chance to reproduce.

Have a strange desire next time there to hop on a jet and head to Poland to see Auschwitz, back in the day when dirt was new it so happened my middle school guidance counselor was a descendant of a Auschwitz jew.

http://www.carlislerealale.com

Kings IPA is meant to be drank at room temperature and unlike a warm american beer, it doesn’t taste the least bit like skunk piss.

https://www.greeneking.co.uk/our-beers/greene-king-ipa/

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

bjp

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 750 Titanium HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2020, 11:17:03 AM »

Posting here enough now I may as well introduce myself... I'm 39, married 12 years, living in NW Vermont near St. Albans.  Originally from the San Joaquin Valley in California where we burned wood first in a fireplace then a couple of insert stoves as I grew up, then moved to Vermont with a brief detour in Connecticut near New Haven.  6', 140, so probably the scrawniest guy here.  The glasses do auto-darken.  Give me a glass of rye or some peated scotch and I'm happy.  Long hair I've managed to avoid burning in the boiler but my eyebrows and way-too-gray-for-my-age beard have not been so lucky.  I spent most of last winter collecting and dumping buckets of water pouring into my basement through bad drain tile underground lines and I just want my heat to work and not need babysitting. 

I've burned down one outdoor wood boiler and have had ridiculously bad luck with oil boilers (4 years in this house and I'm on my third one, the cast iron keeps cracking).  It seems to be due to make up water from invisible leaks in the in-slab radiant.  Finally lost the radiant in the last garage due to leaks so I have a Reznor hydronic heater going in down there in a week and a half. 

Just about 12 acres here, almost all of it hayed pasture land.  Need to buy up some of the adjacent woods to feed this beast.  Even buying wood, it's still cheaper than multiple heating oil fills through the winter.  Five laying hens, one rooster, one 70 pound mostly-beagle mutt that turned 3 a week ago.  No kids.  One tenant that was more work than all of them until she took off without paying the last month's rent in October, but at least she's not leaving the garage door open just to have a convenient place to smoke and increasing my wood usage any longer.

Quit smoking maybe 4 years ago by switching to vaping.  Day job, I sit around and type on computers and keep databases up and running, working in the snow sports  industry.  My woodshed is falling down, one of these days I'll have to tear apart collapsed roof and walls to get to my firewood, because the guy who built this place might have been a concrete guy but he didn't put in drainage so these concrete slab walls are cracking and collapsing inward.  A nice pile of wood gives it support at the beginning of the season, but we know how those don't last.
7.5kW solar panels, grid tied
Weil-McLain WGO-4 oil boiler
DR Trimmer brush hog / mower deck / chipper / snowthrower

Allegheny Ridgerunner

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 434
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »

Just joined recently; thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. Female, barely 5 foot but don't have to stand on tiptoe to kiss hubby; married 25 years to . . . pretty much Superman. He can do anything, it seems! He's a beer man, but I prefer to mix drinks myself (or not mix them; depending on the mood.)

We started off as dairy farmers, but moved to a cabin up in the hills after the price of milk didn't cover the mortgage, let alone the cost of production. You can take the boy (or girl) off the farm, but you can't take the farm out of them, so we have a couple of beefers that are more my parents' pets than anything that actually turns a profit, and a small flock of chickens (this will be our third since leaving the farm. Learning to predator-proof up here has been problematic!) Border collie that identifies as a lap dog, Yorkie that identifies as a Doberman. The Yorkie is his, not mine. 75 acres of side hill  that's almost all cropland or scrub pasture, except a CCC-era stand of pines that controls erosion on the steeper parts. Most of our wood comes from his cousin (still a dairy-farmer and supplies hubby's 'farming fix') down in the valley, but that'll need to change at some point. Ain't none of us getting younger!

Best part of the outdoor furnace? It burns what other stoves can't and the ashes stay outside. Worst part? Finding a babysitter for it when we want to travel.

"Our fire is a family pet that lives out in the yard during the summer, and the furnace in the winter."

Had 5 kids, now 5 adults that live in all parts of the country except here . . . except at the holidays. Youngest hates the indoor stove (it makes me smell like a ham.) The indoor stove is what we use when it's chilly enough to need heat, not cold enough to run the big stove- or if the power goes out for extended periods of time. Hubby: we could get rid of the little stove; we haven't used it in a couple of years. Me: We could get rid of the fire extinguisher. We've never used that at all. Hubby: (silence)

It now takes us three machines to do the work of just one teenager (Log splitter, side-by-side, and the wood wagon it tows.) Growing old is expensive!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]