Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well pump repair  (Read 4009 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Well pump repair
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:09:26 PM »

The well at my new house quit working. The water was working when I was at the house but when I came back a week later, there was no water. I am not sure yet the problem was in the well or the pipe underground. The pump was running continuous.
It was not able to build more than a couple psi in the basement and the water was brownish that came out the valve by the pressure tank.

I pulled the pump up and it was missing the bottom o-ring on the pitless spool. I am not sure though it is just pulled off when I popped it out of the casing.

The drop pipe was 1" PVC. There was a short piece of steel pipe between the pitless adapter and the pvc. It was jusst a ball of rust. The pump had what looked like mud packed on it.

At the top of the PVC drop pipe was a tee with what looks like a vacuum breaker in it. I found a picture of it on page 20, right side of pic D in this pdf but still not sure what it's purpose is. http://www.whitewatermfg.net/pitless_adapter-brochure_11-15-08.pdf

After reading a lot of different stuff, I think I will put in a new pump, wire and poly pipe. I am thinking I should put the pump at the same depth (70' of pipe) but not sure after seeing the mud on the old pump. Is that plastic thing in the tee necessary and if so, what does it do?

I have not tried to cleanup the spool adapter yet. I have not found a place to get a replacement so hope I is usable. I think I did find a place that has the O-rings.

I have not decided yet if I should use the 160psi pipe or the 200psi pipe. It is worth the $15 extra for the 200PSI stuff or is it just overkill?

Has anyone done come across anything similar to this setup? I am hoping to get it all figured out before I drop a new pump in so I don't have to pull it again right away,

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Well pump repair
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:25:59 AM »

You should find out how deep the well is and how far the water is from the top . This will give you the information to determine how big of a pump you need and then you can figure out how far off the bottom you can set the pump off the bottom of the well.
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »

It looks like the water is down about 40'. I have no easy way to check where it drops to while pumping.
Old pump was about 80' to bottom of pump from ground level.

I have looked at the flow curves of the pumps at Menards and the smallest one they have should be good.

Do I need to put that tee back in with that thing that looked like a vacuum breaker? I can't find any diagrams online showing it.

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »

If you’re well cap doesn’t have a vent the I would put it back,  a well is supposed to be sealed so nothing can get down it and contaminate it. When the water gets pumped down it creates a vacuum and if there’s no vent the pump will have a strain on it and eventually burn out
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »

The part I am talking about was nothing to do with the cap. It is a tee in the top or the drop pipe and had a flap that water pressure pushed closed. I am trying to figure out if it needs to be there.

The well cap is in place. I put it back right after pulling the pump.

FrozenMongrel

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »

The part I am talking about was nothing to do with the cap. It is a tee in the top or the drop pipe and had a flap that water pressure pushed closed. I am trying to figure out if it needs to be there.

The well cap is in place. I put it back right after pulling the pump.

Is it a check valve? There should be a check valve in the pump or piping somewhere to prevent the well from loosing head pressure. If the submersible pump doesn't have one built in, that may be it.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »

No, it is not a check valve. It looks like it would allow the pipe to suck air in when the pump stops.
There was a check valve right above the pump and one inside the basement. This thing I am talking about was just below the pitless adapter.

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »

I have been working with a pump guy part time for 15 years and I never saw anything like that

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »

Wouldn't be some sort of vacuum breaker?

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »

What kind of well cap do you have ? Does it have a vent in it?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »

I will have to look at it closer next time I am there. It has 3 set screws to hold it in place.
I am guessing it is a whitewater pitless adapter based on what I have found on the internet. I am assuming the cap came with it.

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »

Is it blue ?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 12:30:24 PM »

It might be. Can't remember.

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »

Well if there’s no vent on the cap we are going to have to assume that is some kind of vacuum breaker so I would replace it or get a vented well cap

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 05:14:08 PM »

Here is a picture of the pitless adapter. There was a short piece of steel pipe directly under it that was a ball of rust. Under the steel pipe was a plastic tee with the vent thing I mentioned earlier. (if you looked at the link I posted, there is a picture of it there)
Pages: [1] 2