Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Propane  (Read 6273 times)

ST98

• View Profile
Re: Propane
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 06:42:09 PM »

That's cheap for a tank. In NE PA the only ones I can find are $1000 for a 500 gallon refurb and $1600 for a new one. My tank rental is getting ridicules.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »

Here, its pretty much a dollar a gallon for used, IF you can find one.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 07:32:57 PM »

I know it was cheap.  I would have paid $1000 for a refurbished one, though.  Buying propane from the cheapest supplier during the summer, it seems as though it's pretty close in line with the price of gasoline from what I've been watching.  It's well worth it to own your tank, IMO.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 09:07:56 PM »

What are you guys paying for rent that it's worthwhile to spend $500-1000 on a used tank? I could keep mine 50 years and not be ahead of that yet. I have 2 different companies and one is $10/yr while the other is $11/yr. One place had an owned tank when I bought it and the only place I could get to fill it was considerably higher than the place I ended up renting the tank from. Like 50% more per gallon. Was a no brainer for me

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 05:52:35 AM »

What are you guys paying for rent that it's worthwhile to spend $500-1000 on a used tank? I could keep mine 50 years and not be ahead of that yet. I have 2 different companies and one is $10/yr while the other is $11/yr. One place had an owned tank when I bought it and the only place I could get to fill it was considerably higher than the place I ended up renting the tank from. Like 50% more per gallon. Was a no brainer for me

Its generally not the tank rent where you save the money. Its buying the fuel at a cheaper price where it will pay off. Once you lease a tank, the only one who can fill it is the company that owns the tank. And the price for a gallon of propane for a leased tank is usually substantialy higher than for one where the customer owns his own tank.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »

Its generally not the tank rent where you save the money. Its buying the fuel at a cheaper price where it will pay off. Once you lease a tank, the only one who can fill it is the company that owns the tank. And the price for a gallon of propane for a leased tank is usually substantialy higher than for one where the customer owns his own tank.

Glad I don't live there I guess. Here it costs 50% more per gallon to fill an owned tank than a leased one

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »

$7/mo tank lease for me, plus the higher cost of fuel.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 05:05:11 PM »

All depends on the area of the country it appears.

When we still dried corn with LP we owned two 1000 gallon tanks, would call around and find the cheapest that year (which always seemed to change year to year) and there aways seemed to be enough difference to be worth the initial cost of buying the tanks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:53:41 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »

I have two 100 gallon tanks. I have to rent one for around 90 a year. I mainly have it for the generac and cooking and  pay the minimum unless I have a big power outage. The minimum works out to about $7.00 a gallon but that doesn't apply to two hundred gallons.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 06:34:41 AM »

We have that problem here no one will fill a tank unless they own it. They all have some bs line about insurance and tank inspections and whatever else they can come up with. We are only using propane for cooking and they were wacking us $80/yr. for the tank rental plus about $6/gal for the gas. I ended up buying 2 100# tanks and an auto-swap regulator. When one runs out  the hardware store down the street will fill it for $75. Problem solved for us.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 10:06:36 AM »

We have that problem here no one will fill a tank unless they own it. They all have some bs line about insurance and tank inspections and whatever else they can come up with. We are only using propane for cooking and they were wacking us $80/yr. for the tank rental plus about $6/gal for the gas. I ended up buying 2 100# tanks and an auto-swap regulator. When one runs out  the hardware store down the street will fill it for $75. Problem solved for us.

Anything under 100 gallons we can have filled at the hardware store also, but still much more than having the tank owners fill a big tank. I had a 100lb cylinder running a torpedo heater in my shop for a couple weeks right when I built it and I think it was like $40 a fill for 20 gallons when it was $1 a gallon to fill a 500 gallon leased tank. The hardware store works in a pinch but here is way cheaper to lease the tank and have them fill it. Plus if they get greedy I can pay the $11 to buy out my lease and go with another company for $11 more to get cheaper gas. Had to do that a few years ago, my existing company wanted $1.99 while the competitor was at $1.29 and I needed 350 gallons so I dumped company A and saved $235 by going with company B. Still have company A at my house and company B at that rental, they're within a few cents of each other as of recently

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »

:post:

Ingenuity at its best
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: 1 [2]