Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dutch oven  (Read 3687 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Dutch oven
« on: January 27, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »

Hi all, My home was built in 1840's.  The kitchen is separate room consisting of a brick dutch oven.  The oven was built first and then the house was constructed around it.  I have never seen it in operation.  Does it take a mason who has special training in dutch oven construction?  In a few years when I retire I'll be selling this huge house (money pit) and I want to make it a focal point of the sale but I need to be sure it's safe, thus the need for a mason who knows what he/she is doing.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Dutch oven
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »

Not the dutch oven I was thinking of….

Maybe find a mason who’s built brick pizza ovens?

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:07:37 PM »

Probably be best to find someone who knows what their doing. You'll want it to heat evenly and hold up to to the high temps of an oven.
Sounds like a really cool feature though. Be a heck of a selling point once its restored
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:22:31 AM »

Here's a photo of the outside of the oven for reference.  Anyone have a clue what that disc in the lower left corner is used for?  It will not budge by hand and I'm reluctant to put any pressure to it fearing breaking something. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »

That's really cool! Never seen one of those in a house before. That little round deal on the bottom left looks an awful lot like a chimney cleanout from what I can see? I've seen people use them just to fill a hole in masonry also, if there was once a pipe or something heading through that section of wall. Hard to tell from the photo. This makes me want a brick oven pizza now..... Or maybe some asparagus fried in butter in a cast iron dutch oven over a bed of coals

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:19:36 AM »

That's really cool! Never seen one of those in a house before. That little round deal on the bottom left looks an awful lot like a chimney cleanout from what I can see? I've seen people use them just to fill a hole in masonry also, if there was once a pipe or something heading through that section of wall. Hard to tell from the photo. This makes me want a brick oven pizza now..... Or maybe some asparagus fried in butter in a cast iron dutch oven over a bed of coals

I may just take a pry bar later and see if it comes free.  I'm not going to force it fearing breaking something.  When I have some free time I'll make some smoke, place it inside of the firebox and see if/where it leaks.  What really makes this thing unique is that it has 2 fireboxes; the larger one with the iron gate, that's where the baking is done.  Then there's the smaller one near the floor, that's where you make a fire to keep the brick nice and warm.  When it's warm you place your baked goods in the arched opening in the center of the picture, to keep it warm.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »

Masonry heater, bet that radiants some heat after its warmed up.
I would love to have one of those.
Bet that lower left corner is some sort of air intake.
Western Maine

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »

Masonry heater, bet that radiants some heat after its warmed up.
I would love to have one of those.
Bet that lower left corner is some sort of air intake.

Man, get thing nice and warm in the winter months and possibly save some energy.  I never thought the disc may be a an air intake...  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 02:40:19 PM »

I too have a bee hive oven next to my cooking hearth in my 220 year old house. Someone in the 1990s paid to have pour in place liners put in all 6 flues in the house so the 5 fireplaces and the beehive oven are all usable. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow. Mine is a little bit more premative than yours, I don't think mine ever had a steel door since steel was expensive and hard to come by. I would say that you will need expose the beehive some in the wall and have a parge coat put on the dome to make that safe and then have te chimney itself inspected.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 05:33:28 PM »

I too have a bee hive oven next to my cooking hearth in my 220 year old house. Someone in the 1990s paid to have pour in place liners put in all 6 flues in the house so the 5 fireplaces and the beehive oven are all usable. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow. Mine is a little bit more premative than yours, I don't think mine ever had a steel door since steel was expensive and hard to come by. I would say that you will need expose the beehive some in the wall and have a parge coat put on the dome to make that safe and then have te chimney itself inspected.

Honda - I think I read somewhere that you live in NH.  Do you know of anyone I can contact who's qualified to give it a look so I can then decide what to do with it?  Thanks,  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »

I wish I did. The guy who did my liners has retired and another mason/chimney cleaner I know that is local to central Nh I don't think would be interested in driving over to Lebanon.  Sorry I don't have any leads for you. On another note let me know if you'd be interested in taking a look at my g200 sometime. I know you are looking around a little.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 03:20:15 AM »

I'll have to check around for local chimney sweeps/masons who'll be interested in looking it over.  I know the chimney needs re-pointing but it's the oven I'm concerned about.  Yes, I am thinking of getting rid of the 1400 when the heating season concludes or sooner if something catastrophic happens to it.  I'll be looking at what CB has to offer, same with Heatmaster and Polar and I'll decide what to do from there.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 06:53:19 AM »

In our last house there was a wood fired oven built into the back of the hearth with the wooden door to the right of the fireplace. It was constructed probably late 1700's or early 1800's. That was about the thickest constructed piece of masonry I have ever seen , guessing so it would hold the heat well. I would have lit a fire in there without any worries. The reason we never did was the chimney was not safe. If someone wanted to pour a liner in that chimney then I would bet it would be perfectly safe. In the old construction clearances to combustibles was rarely considered and pointed brick chimneys are prone to fires when the mortor starts to fail.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »

Yes I too believe thst you would need to have the chimney lined. I don’t know how much it cost to do the pour in place lines here since it was done in the early 90s but I bet it was pricey.