Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rude awakening  (Read 3224 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Rude awakening
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:16:55 AM »

So, Saturday evening one of my younger brothers and I decided to go roller skating for the first time in many years; it'll be fun, what could go wrong?  The first hour was fun after I got my feet under me again.  That second hour, well...  I quickly realized that at 56 years old (and quickly approaching 57) recovering from a fall takes a lot longer than it did when I was a teenager or in my 20's.  Both of my feet came out from under me and landed, HARD, on my back!  I sprained my right wrist, my back from the my neck down to my tailbone is as sore as I have ever experienced and my left hip is quite sore from from the fall.  It must have been comical watching me trying to get out of bed yesterday morning.  Thankfully I have this week off from work and the weather has been miserable so it's forcing me to stay indoors and take it easy for a couple of days.  I had planned to rake my lawns but if I want to do that now I'd have to clear the snow and ice first.  It can wait.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

MScott

• OWF Model: CL 4030
    • View Profile
Re: Rude awakening
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:35:06 AM »

I had something similar happen a few years back. Went skating for the first time in probably 20 years. Hadn't really got my feet under me yet when I, too, had my feet go out and I landed on my back and cracked my head hard on the ice. Saw stars and probably blacked out for a few seconds. I decided that, at the age of almost 70, skating was not a wise move so I got off the ice, removed my skates and made a promise to myself never to try that again. I took the skates to goodwill the next day. "A man has got to know his own limitations." Harry Callahan. :'( :)
Eastern Ontario
Sthil MS 290
Sthil MS 180 C
Polaris ATV
Bush Buddy trailer
Wallenstein wood splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »

Some of my buddies keep pestering me to go Kart racing again. I enjoy the hell out of it especially when you get enough people together and can rent the facilities for a morning. However after getting rear ended a few years ago (3 bulging discs and a ruptured) I’m afraid I’d have the same realization as the previous posters, as quite frankly running Karts with zero suspension tended to make me sore for 2-3 days anyways.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »

I skated once when I was 6. Cracked my dome on the ice and never tried again. Bought new rollerblades about 9 years ago, for some reason, and they had JUST tarred the road past my house. About 1/2 mile up, there is a big curve on a pretty substantial hill, with a gravel road that tees into the new asphalt. Welp, maiden voyage on the blades, I started rolling down that hill. Had to be doing about 147 MPH the way it felt, and plowed into the bed of gravel that was drug out of that side road onto the tar. Got down real low thinking I could ride it out, which only made me go faster. So 3/4 of the way down that hill I was about to break the sound barrier and made the educated decision to aim for the ditch instead of go down on the asphalt. It was some sh!t out of a cartoon; left blade jammed into the shoulder and stuck there- foot came out and there I went cartwheeling through the reed canary. Woke up barefoot aside from my left sock and hobbled my bloody corpse down the boiling hot asphalt 3/4 mile home, barefoot, with my left rollerblade in my hand. Never did find the right one or my sock. So that's my cool rollerblading story. Rode a skateboard once for about 12 feet and wiped that out too, making my elbow into a green softball. I'm no longer allowed to touch things with wheels

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »

Well, I'm feeling better today.  The parts that hurt like heck Sunday and yesterday, don't hurt as bad or not at all.  I'm gaining some motion in my injured wrist (a long way to go yet) but getting better.  My back doesn't hurt at all and my hip is feeling better albeit still some lingering pain if I turn the wrong way.  Maybe there's hope for me after all.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »

WTH?
Skating at 60 and 70 years old???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
So your the guys I watch on youtube....
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 04:53:18 AM »

WTH?
Skating at 60 and 70 years old???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
So your the guys I watch on youtube....

When I was in my teens and fell that hard, I would be outside the next day, pain free, splitting wood with a mall and wedges.  Fast forward 40 plus years and that doesn't happen, it hurts too much for too long.  Now believe me, I'm quite solid on my feet on roller skates but when both feet went horizontal on me, I was not ready for it and the full weight went to the floor very hard.  BTW - still have lingering pain in my right wrist but over all I'm doing much better.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »

I would be outside the next day, pain free, splitting wood with a mall and wedges.  Fast forward 40 plus years and that doesn't happen, it hurts too much for too long. 

I’ve found the same holds true with hangovers as well.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »

Very true
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »

I would be outside the next day, pain free, splitting wood with a mall and wedges.  Fast forward 40 plus years and that doesn't happen, it hurts too much for too long. 

I’ve found the same holds true with hangovers as well.

:thumbup:   :post:

As I've mentioned to some of my friends; it wasn't the fall that bothered me so much, that was rather peaceful, it's the sudden stop that was quite rude and painful.   :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:01:52 PM by Roger2561 »
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire