Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: HELP! I hate my SHAVER!  (Read 521991 times)

gandgracing

• View Profile
Re: HELP! I hate my SHAVER!
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2010, 06:57:13 AM »

I tried lowering my temp in the house with a programmable thermostat at night but when morning comes around it takes alot of heat from the stove when the house tries to get back to the setpoint for the day.  Seems letting it stay at the set temp works better for me.  Russ,  as far as going way over 24 hrs. burn times in teen weather using pine... you should list all your mods cause I cant even see how that is possible.  I could go 24-26 hrs in 30* weather using good hardwood.  Now its 15*-25* and 12 hrs its about time to fill and this is with the 250 model and its inside.

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »

Hey Briguy!

I was thinking, you may be able to save yourself some trouble.  Instead of drilling a hole in your water jacket, maybe you could drill one in a flat piece of metal.  The metal would be the size of that piece of cork gasket you used to cover that 1 1/2" hole.

Just replace the gasket with the metal (with hole drilled) and slide the drywell in there.

Just a thought!

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »

I was able to remove a piece of silicone on the corner of the hot water plate and slide in the copper pipe for the ranco probe. Its on a angle but works fine .
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »

I tried lowering my temp in the house with a programmable thermostat at night but when morning comes around it takes alot of heat from the stove when the house tries to get back to the setpoint for the day.  Seems letting it stay at the set temp works better for me.  Russ,  as far as going way over 24 hrs. burn times in teen weather using pine... you should list all your mods cause I cant even see how that is possible.  I could go 24-26 hrs in 30* weather using good hardwood.  Now its 15*-25* and 12 hrs its about time to fill and this is with the 250 model and its inside.

If i get up at night its 67* . Thats what its set for. it only takes 15 minutes to climb back up to 73* . My house is a small ranch w/   finished basement .(2400 sq total). Ok the longest I've let it go without checking it was 26 hours . That was due to having to go to work. I did  alot of things to help  out but not sure what was the biggest improvement.

Put stove inside garage .out of wind /rain
Wood is inside now/dry
 chiminey cap/ stack extension(tripplewall stainless left over from shop wood stove)
 flapper /solenoid mod (last year )
 Ranco at boiler
 Ranco at shop
 re -siliconed the door/added shim too
 Changed shop too run on demand like house. ( This I think is what made the difference for me. )
 Overflow tube mod
 Sealed up air leaks around blower flange/flapper door
 sealed off vent slots on blower motor
 Insulalated all pipes /roof has packed bat insulation

Just want to add that when the heater comes on in the house i dont have a big blast of cold air. I guess residual heat is in there. We dont even notice it .

Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »

So your pumps only turn on when the house or shop call for heat?  Also did you just silicone the vents shut on the fan?

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2010, 05:40:49 AM »

Yes ,Pumps on only when something is calling for heat. 4 pumps,  house ,shop,hot water in both.  For the vents on the blower i just used electrical tape. Still not sure if I'm hurting the blower by doing that . Might overheat ? There are still holes in the end of it that i left open.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »

I have a couple questions regarding my 165,since I sealed my dhw plate my water usage has gone to bout nil,which is a good thing but when I do add it wants to overflow around the plate where the copper lines come thru I left those open,just covered with insulation.I watched the other day as the water got back to temp just before the blower kicked off it started overflowing,I have a piece of curved rubbber hose coming off the overflow pipe I just removed it and let it flow there til the level was down enogh to put the hose back on.Also I noticed steam out the overflow,is that the norm?It doesnt steam all the time,could it just be a hot spot,I noticed it only in the morn after an all night burn,I have my ranko set at 160 off at 163 itll creep to the mid 170s though.And one more ? regarding my indoor tstat,when my fan kicks on itll run for 30 min or longer,it kicks on at 67 and off at 71 Id like to have a tighter swing like 2 deg,but I cant with the cheap slider.I guess what Im asking is should the fan cycle off and on continually or is that long of a cycle bad for the fan?Thanks   

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »

The staem out the over flow is normal but it becomes a problem if it steams lots and you have to keep adding water.

When you had that curved rubber hose, it allowed you to put in more water until it got deep enough to flow out the DHW cover plate.

If you find it is steaming away too much water, I would just put the rubber hose back on but not fill as full as you had it before.

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »

I dont think the long cycle will hurt the fan at all. You might want to consider a digital thermostat. They were on   sale at Home Depot for $6.00 on closeout . This will tighten up your temp swing.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2011, 05:46:08 AM »

Can you buy a 2 wire non programmable tstat?

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2011, 06:25:04 AM »

Here's the one i used.Bought it at home depot for around $25.00.  I had air conditiong so i just had to shut the  220v breaker off so the outside unit would'nt run. Works fine . You could install a switch to do the same. Why wouldn't you want to use a programable thermostat ? Saves wood . Still easy to install.

Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2011, 06:35:39 AM »

Hey Russ,sorry for not replying sooner,right now my pumps run 24/7 woulnt that cause them to run on demand?Also has anyone noticed any warpage on the inner plate behind the firebox door since doing the blower mod?When the blower kicks on the intensity of the flame is concentrated on the bottom of that plate and I just noticed that its warping dont think this is a big deal,but I thinking of covering 1/3 to half of the grate to direct the flame to the center of the firebox anyone have any thoughts on this?

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2011, 06:48:07 AM »

No the digital stat will not turn off your pump .It will just turn on the blower for your furnace. You can let your pumps run if you want.

That piece of metal warped on mine too. Not a problem .I like the fire up front . Seems like the fire has to stay inside a little longer that way. Most people dont even load the back of the stove for this reason.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2011, 09:57:58 AM »

Can I jump off my existing tstat like I did with this sllder tstat?

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

Yep,   Same way. I had to shut off the breaker for the a/c unit. 
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6