Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggested Water Temperature on Boiler  (Read 44248 times)

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
Wood Usage in Maine
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »

I noticed a response about wood usage in maine, I have an ASPEN 175 now called an empyre by pro fab and I use
1 and 1/3 cord per month during Dec, Jan,Feb, and March. I burn wood until mid May, the total I use is between 6 and 7 cords.
My house is 3300 sqaure feet including the garage that i keep at 60 degrees, this also includes my Hot water. I keep a daily journal
on temp/loading times and wood types used and it is pretty predictable.

I load my wood twice per day, once at about 8:00 AM and then again at about 7:30 PM no matter how cold it is outside.

My wood boiler is connected to my maine heating system via a heat exchanger. I have a 30% glycol mix with the total system
being about 80 gallons. My circulator will shut down at 120 degrees(fire dies) and come back on at 40 degrees as an added protection against
freezing. It would take a small amount of heat from my oil backup. I also have a dump zone inside my basement incase of overheating but this has only come on a couple times since last year. The glycol helps with freezing but also makes the boiling point higher as well. My boiler is 75' from the house and is connected to the house using 1 and 1/4" pex, 3' deep. I insulated it with standard pipe insulation, then wrapped it in reflex bubble insulation and the feed that into 4" solid drainage pvc, one for the supply and one for the return(very little heat lose). You cant tell where the lines are when it snows like some peoples indicating heat lose.

I burn well seasoned and dry wood only, this also creates little smoke most of the time.

love to talk shop with anyone interested, always looking to make things better.
Pages: 1 [2]