Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 122828 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 07:34:35 PM »

After hauling wood ,and then helping fix my wifes grandfather's disc so he could get back in the fields.Didn't leave much time for the boiler tonight.I sanded down the top seam and then clamped it up.Mydaughter then came out and decided it was time to take pictures. :D

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 07:03:38 PM »

Well after rewiring one grinder,and then hooking up the wire feeder to the TrailBlazer I got some metal welded together.My son came out to the shop ,and I helped him lay a few beads on it.Here is a few pics for ya guys.
 :pic:

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »

I had to aquare up the Gasification chamber when I got home.Only after I made a run to pick up the Iron Man 2 movie for my son after work.He has been waiting for it to come out on dvd,and asked me at dinner last night to get it. :D
Anyways I over broke one side in the brake and the other not enough.I was able to clamp it to the work bench ,and put some heat on it then use a jack and porta power to square up one side.
I ended up taking the plasma cutter and cutting most of the other side off so I could push it back were it needed to be.
Then I had to grind it and rewled the seams.This piece is 1/4" 70" long so it took a little bit of time and wrestling to get it just right.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 06:47:23 PM »

WOW 143 hits on my little projects thread,and I am not even half way done yet.
I got the hole cut in the front wall burn chamber,and the load door extension fabbed and tacked into the wall.Then placed and welded the front wall on.
Starting to look like a furnace a little bit now. :D

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 06:52:10 AM »

I admire a man whose shop looks like mine. My shop is never"clean" always cluttered, and I am always working on something. Great that you are teaching the young one how it's done. :thumbup: :thumbup: Nice shop, great job on the build.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »

Thanks for the compliments. Yes my shop is always a mess.I always have someone else's stuff in there to fix.there is 2 other cars in there beside the bay the boiler is in.my shop is 40x44x12'.its a work in progress and is paid for as I go.

I feel its important to try and teach my kids skills that they wont learn elsewhere.my son really showed an interest in welding on this project.he had a hood on and was watching me last night.last year he didn't want anything to do with sparks.LOL!
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »

i just noticed the "spacer" on the gasification chamber...i like a guy whom re-cycles

keep us all in the loop, most of us are rooting for ya
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 07:56:05 PM »

i just noticed the "spacer" on the gasification chamber...i like a guy whom re-cycles

keep us all in the loop, most of us are rooting for ya

LOL! yeah the nieghbor kid was helping me when I was squaring up the gasification chamber,and he looked at me so wierd when I welded 3 of them on there.I just needed them to hold the dimension while i welded it back up.
I just didn't have anything the right length and those old blades on the scrap pile fit the bill.
There is a pic some where of a piece that was going to be the end piece of reese hitch for a Jeep.That I used as a temp spacer.

Got to love working with metal. :thumbup:
More updates and pics to follow tomorrow.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 08:57:45 PM »

Ok,I spent alot of time welding seams inside and out the last 2 days it seems.I managed to get the lower gasification chamber welded on tonight.I flipped that sucker up on end ,and raised it up with my lift.I then shimmied my body up inside and welded the seam.What a freak'n pain that was!
     I then cut my lower support plates with relief holes to allow water to flow around the gasification chamber bottom.Plus I put a couple of notches on the bottom side to allow water to be drained from the stove ,and not have any pockets that hold water.I then decided to cut some 90 Degree gusstes to weld onto the support plates to give them strength with the plasma cutter.(Man I love that sucker!)
My Trailblazer ran out of gas on me right as I went to start putting the gussets in.I had to tack them in with my little Miller 135.
Have to run to town tomorrow and get some gas so I can move on to the next step.
any questions just holler, and I will answer best I can.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:01:18 PM by jackel440 »
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »

Alright I got a little more done today.Had to goto town with the family to do some family time.
Picked up some gas for the Trailblazer ,and we're off to the races.
I managed to finnish welding up the gussets on the bottom of the stove supports.I then flipped it back down off it's nose so I could work on the 2 top plates for the Gasification chamber.
      I managed to get them all done after a little custom cutting and grinding to get the fit I wanted.Welded them all up so I could then move onto laying out and cutting the holes for the heat xchanger pipes.
Here is a few pieces of eye candy for you guys. :pic:

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »

Heat exchanger tubes are welded on.I also have a shot of when I stuck the doors over the front openings to get a little idea of what it will look like.
I then have a shot of where I rigged it up so I could lay it down on her side so I could weld up the heat xchanger tubes easier.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »

Not much of any pics to post tonight,But I did flip this sucker upside down so  could get inside and finnish welding my heat x-changer pipes.Had a small fire burning while I was inside the burn chamber.LOL!If this is a sign I take it as it's ready to burn some wood!
I was alos able to get a smokin deal on my damper actuator on E-bag. :D
I have been trying to get a deal on one ,and keep getting out bid all the time.
I also have a few neat features I plan to install in my furnace.SOme that I have not really seen on any others.I am x-cited to see how they turn out.Could be really awesome to be able to tune the furnace.I will make ya all wait to find out what I have planned :-X
g-night evryone.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

bikeralan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »

I check this thread every day!! excellent job. Is the build something you have had in your head, or are you following a  basic plan?
I am gonna build one next year, we are in the process of moving a house we bought to a different location. It has lots of windows and set up with baseboard heat, so will be perfect for an OWB, but have way enough to do getting it set up this year.
We had a house in town and had a Cozyburn 250, good stove, but liked wood. We are in Northern Lower Mich.
Good luck on your build, and thanks for the step by step, very interesting and informative, great job! :thumbup:
Thanks,
Alan

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 08:30:01 AM »

bikerAlan
   Hey thanks for stopping by.There isn't alot of good pics on the net of guys building theirs. I had planned to share what I did on mine. :thumbup:
   I have planned on building a boiler for along time.over 5 yrs.I just finally was in a position to make it happen.I have designed atleast 3 different styles from researching other stoves and my own ideas.I have mixed and matched the features I like to get what I think will work best for me.
I also waited to see how nice these gassifiers were going to work.no point spending the time building something when I can build a better one.
I need to heat my home,shop and eventually hot water.
I have designed my build and made my own drawings. Not everything has been exact to my prints but have made them work out nicely.
I have been working on door hinges and my door locks.got most of those pieces cut out and ready to weld together.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:07:41 PM by jackel440 »
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »

Update...
   I flipped the boiler back up right tonight after doing a little welding and grinding on the inside.I got my 8" bypass pipe today from my buddy who has a Millwright shop.Laid out the location  and then took my Plasma Cutter and cut the hole for it.Hole was a perfect fit on the first try. :thumbup:
I then put it in the hole and welded it all up.
So now I have one more piece to trim to fit ,and then it will be time to move onto the fabrication of the tank.I hope  :o

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:10:20 PM by jackel440 »
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21