Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: water line question  (Read 3684 times)

mustang483

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
water line question
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »

I am in the processing of purchasing my 1st OWB which will likely be an Empyre Pro 200.  I plan to run 1" Logstor between the OWB and the basement with the intent on heating the house through forced air and DHW.  I'm trying to identify the best way to seal the Logstore penetration in my poured concrete foundation wall and was hoping others have already solved this problem.

Also, I am planning to use 1" Logstor based on only 60' between the OWB and the house.  Will this line size be sufficient to heat 3400 ft2 and DHW?

Thanks

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: water line question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »

I am in the processing of purchasing my 1st OWB which will likely be an Empyre Pro 200.  I plan to run 1" Logstor between the OWB and the basement with the intent on heating the house through forced air and DHW.  I'm trying to identify the best way to seal the Logstore penetration in my poured concrete foundation wall and was hoping others have already solved this problem.

I just patched my openingn with some sand, mortar and seal bond (a type of plastisized powder that mixes with the mortor to become water repellent) i am sure there are many more types

Also, I am planning to use 1" Logstor based on only 60' between the OWB and the house.  Will this line size be sufficient to heat 3400 ft2 and DHW? 
i think most guys run one inch and have no problems, i run 1 inch heating a 2 story and partial basement 1800 square foot home  (main floor)  and it is an older farm house. my stove is 250 feet from the house. I have never NOT been able to heat this house

if cost is not too much of a burden when dealingn with underground pipe it is also my opinion "bigger is better"  it will allow you to run a smaller pump that will burn less power and it will allow for expansion of the system if you add floor heat or more square footage to your home at a later date

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »

Do a heat load calculation for your house.  Then, crunch the numbers and run them through this pump selector using 1" PEX as the kind of pipe you'll be using:
http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/SelectingCirculators.pdf

Then, run the numbers with 1-1/4" PEX.  You might see that 1" PEX would be too small for your heat load given the speed that the water would have to move to physically supply the heat to your house.  If you're not sure, it is worth spending a little extra for 1-1/4" logstor because 1) you can always add more heating zones 2) you can run a smaller pump 3) you won't have to dig the 1" out if you find out you really needed 1-1/4". 

mustang483

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:00:39 PM »

My current furnace is putting out 93000 btu/hour and using this with a 1" line puts me right on the curve for the Taco 014 or under the curve for the Taco 011 using the sizing link.

I'm getting a great price on the 1" Logstor so the difference in price to go up in line size is significant.  How much power does the 014 or 011 draw?  Not sure it's worth upsizing the line when I should be fine on 10 GPM or less.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »

That is something I'd have to look up on Taco's website...and also something I can let you look up on Taco's website too    :P
But for that heat load, I would probably say you will suffice with 1" Logstor then.  My smaller house is 135 years old and quite drafty so I'm throwing in 1-1/4" lines so I can really move some heat if necessary. 

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:36:40 PM »

used water plug on the outside, put some under and then filled flush, inside i used electrical putty , packs well around and waterproof.  i have 1" and 5000 sq. ft.  heat it and my hw just fine. 100' away.
Newrichmond, Ohio