Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Woodmaster Update  (Read 14930 times)

wiseass13

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage and main
  • OWF Model: ml-30
    • View Profile
Re: Woodmaster Update
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »

Friend off mine had same issue with his owb. Ended up being the big rounds he was burning. He said he thought he had air issue also cause fire would roar only when door was open. He switched up his wood and he said it recovers fine now. Dont know if this will help but good luck
Installed 12/21/11

mingom

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »

Sorry this may sound stupid, but I'm thinking this could be a major part of the issue.  I decided to try and clean out my boiler as much as I could, I shoveled out two garbage cans full of ash and coals.  In doing so, I found that the edges/outer part of the boiler chamber were coated completely with about 1 to 1-1/2 inch of creosote/nasty buildup.  I'm assuming this is a major restriction on heat transfer.  My plan is to try and burn down my fire as much as I can, shovel out all the ashes and coals, scrape what is possible while its still warm.  Then I'll build a good fire back up and keep the ash level down way before the door (as of today it was 2-3 inches above the sill height)

Any insight?

mcarter

• OWF Brand: HeatMasterSS
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »

The creosote can have an insulating effect and potentially have some effect on thermal transfer.

After cleaning it out, I would try running a higher setpoint for you water temp, try 180 if you haven't already.  Are you burning some green wood perhaps?

I hope you get her tuned up!

HeatMasterSS MF5000E by Yoder Heating
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
8lb Wood Splitter with 'High Performance' Fiberglass Handle
5 acres

mcarter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »

Oh, how big were those trash cans?  I am imagining a regular size trash can and that would be a lot of ash!  I usually get about a 5 gallon bucket full per week.
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
5 acres

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »

What kind of wood are you burning?
Are you sure there are no air leaks at the door gasket or air shut off plate? That is usually the cause of huge amounts of creosote if you are burning somewhat dry wood.

I would turn the temperature up as high as you can without boiling it to help burn off the rest of the creosote you can't scrape off. If you have no bad air leaks you should be able to go up to 200°

mingom

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »

I'm burning mostly oak and some maple, a bit of ash.  All 1-1/2 to 2 years season.  I'm trying to get it all cleaned up, They were full sized trash cans!  I think its been overloaded and not cleaned since I bought the house in october, not sure how the last guy maintained it.  I've got the high setpoint as high as it will allow,( unless anyone knows how to allow it to go above 180)  Would a creosote log help at all?  I've also been told to check the FLA of the blower and make sure its not all gummed up.. its blowing air but is it at the right CFM.  Possibly I have an air leak but I dont think so, it seems like the fire is choked wayyyy down until I open the door.  I also want to make sure the chimney isn't plugged up some, it blows smoke but im not sure if its all plugged up.  Any place I can get brushes easily?

mcarter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »

Are you getting some overshoot of your high setpoint?  In other words, if you have it set at 180, have you ever noticed if the water temp continues to increase above this point?  If so, how much? 

If it is a lot, im just guessing here, by 5 to 8 degrees or more, this might indicate that you have an air leak.

I guess this could vary by type of OWB perhaps.

Any thoughts on that RSI?  Can overshoot indicate this sort of problem? 
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
5 acres

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »

for those of you with OWB's particularly the 4400, how do you keep your temps up? I have my OWB set at 180 degrees with a 5 degree differential for kick on temp. Since the install of the new HX, i see temps that dip down to 150ish pretty consistently, which to me signifies a significant heat draw from the house (before i would hit 170- sometimes) It seems to be burning pretty decently, its been eating up some wood this past week with temps below zero most nights. I'd like to be able to keep the temps up to a more consistent level, and not have the blower run pretty much 24/7.

Any ideas?
I have my 4400 set with a 15 degree differential fan shuts off at 180. And I can get 12 to 14 hr burn times when its cold. Is the damper on your blower opening up when the fan kicks on.My recovery time at the most is 25 min and that's when the house is calling for heat.
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

Dirtslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »

Are you getting some overshoot of your high setpoint?  In other words, if you have it set at 180, have you ever noticed if the water temp continues to increase above this point?  If so, how much? 

If it is a lot, im just guessing here, by 5 to 8 degrees or more, this might indicate that you have an air leak.

I guess this could vary by type of OWB perhaps.

Any thoughts on that RSI?  Can overshoot indicate this sort of problem?

My 4400 will go past the set point by 8 degrees after the fan stops.
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

mingom

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »

I don't really have much overshoot, maybe a degree or two, but these days I haven't even been able to hit the high setpoint unless I run with the door open.  The damper does open.

mcarter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »

I guess that wouldnt be useful then.  Assuming yours don't have an airleak too.   :)

I see 2 to 4 degrees when I go load my OWB sometimes, but thats not often and I don't really keep track of it.
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
5 acres

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

Do you have air blowing out of the door if you open it with the fan on? Did you check to see if there is a restrictor plate between the bad and door?

How much it overshoots the setpoint usually depends on a lot of things. If it happens right after the fan shuts down it isn't likely caused by an air leak. If it keeps creeping up when there is not much heat load on the boiler that is usually an air leak.

Dirtslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »

I don't really have much overshoot, maybe a degree or two, but these days I haven't even been able to hit the high setpoint unless I run with the door open.  The damper does open.
did you check your stack could be plugged.

When you pull out the smoke baffle twist it to the left half turn and pull in and out then do the same to the right that will help clean all of the junk out of the slide for the baffle.
could be all full of ash and creosote. I do that to mine every other day and I see a bunch of stuff blow out the stack.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:08:16 PM by Dirtslinger »
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

mingom

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »

I think the stack could be partially blocked. This afternoon I ran the temp up to 181 with the door open, closed the door, then went to open it a minute or two later to toss a piece of scrap in and literally the gases/smoke blew up out the door probably 4-5 feet out the door easy, good thing I was low or it would have got me.  Unfortunately, the smoke baffle is locked right up, I can only get it to move an inch or two so I think its gummed up good.

Dirtslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »

I think the stack could be partially blocked. This afternoon I ran the temp up to 181 with the door open, closed the door, then went to open it a minute or two later to toss a piece of scrap in and literally the gases/smoke blew up out the door probably 4-5 feet out the door easy, good thing I was low or it would have got me.  Unfortunately, the smoke baffle is locked right up, I can only get it to move an inch or two so I think its gummed up good.

You can only move an inch or two in and out?
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA
Pages: 1 [2] 3