Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: roof snow melt/heat loss  (Read 3098 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
roof snow melt/heat loss
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:20:54 AM »

I have noticed that my G200 holds little to no snow on the roof. Even during massive snowstorms where we have received 10-12" overnight, the snow is completely melted off and gone by daybreak. At first I didn't really think to much of it, until it was pointed out that I may have some heat loss issues.

My plan is too take the roof off this summer and insulate the top of the boiler with Rockwool.

What do you guys think? I don't think the heat loss is probably anything to significant, but I think its more of an aesthetics thing for me. Its on of those things that just drives me crazy!! lol.

I have attached a pic of my stove that I took early in the morning after we have a nice snowfall during the night a few weeks back. Temps were in the low twenties all night and at the time the pic was taken.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: roof snow melt/heat loss
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:43:00 AM »

My guess is it's conducting some heat up to the roof around the lift hook, vent pipe and chimney. Mine melts off around those points, but it'll sit for several days along the sides. I never worried about it. :)
Wrapping the chimney etc. as it goes through the small air gap between the roof and insulation might help keep heat from spreading out. But it's heat that is heading out into the atmosphere anyway. But the roof isn't difficult to lift if you'd like to check it out. It does lift a lot easier with two people, with one guy you can twist and kink it.
It'd be interesting to see how much some tweaking can make a difference.

My thoughts anyway.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:20:08 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »

Just wondering, I know there was a change made on the G  series with the chimney, going to a solid through the roof. This was done so anyone cold extend the stack with any brand of insulated that was available to them. However insulated pipe below the roof would not have emitted as much heat as the solid. I wonder what would happen if you would reach up through the back door and wrap the chimney with some fiberglass insulation. It could be that the rest of the stove is really not losing that much heat.

d5napp, as little amount of wood as you are using for the amount of sq.ft. as you are heating just amazes me. Seems as though you can't be losing much.

Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »

I concur, the vent, lifting eye and stack are probably conducting some heat and that finds its way out between the factory installed insulation and the roof.

Take the roof off, and install some rock wool like you suggested or even regular fiberglass. Just be careful not to put too thick a piece in, compressed insulation is almost as bad as no insulation.

Make sure all is well caulked after reinstalling the roof, wet insulation is worse than no insulation.

When I was still building boilers I though of all kinds of way to isolate the lifting eyes from the water jacket. Most of em would add a considerable amount of farting around to finish the boiler. In the end I didn’t change anything, it was already a conventional with much higher stack temps than a gasser anyways.

On my waste oil boiler I have six inches of fiberglass on the outside, the lifting eye still gets wamer than ambient.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:45:00 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »

thanks for the replies.

yes I have had the same thought about the uninsulated chimney pipe. I know that the short piece that sticks out reads 300-400F when the stove is calling for heat.

I will let the group know how the project goes this summer! I love tweaking things!!!!!!!!!!!

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »

That chimney pipe radiation would be heat that's going out the stack anyway, but it sure looks good if you got snow on the roof.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »

agreed. Again, im not sure how much of the "heatloss" is actually effecting the efficiency of the stove. wood usage has been fine, but I also chalk up good efficiency up to the fact that I spared NO EXPENSE on the install. That can be a huge killer right in itself and deserves a separate topic!!! lol

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »

That's funny I've always remarked on how long the snow stays on the roof of mine. Sometimes days on end with just long icicles forming on the edges of the roof sides. I did put a piece of tin roof under the roof cover kind of around the chimeny area the last time I had the roof off as a heat shield. don't really know it made any difference.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »

Let us know what you find if you rip the top open. I was thinking about adding more insulation myself.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »

I definitely will!