Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Is an air eliminator needed on an open OWB install.  (Read 1849 times)

vogelkj2001

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
Is an air eliminator needed on an open OWB install.
« on: September 26, 2016, 07:43:35 PM »

Is there a consensus on whether an air eliminator is needed or even useful on an open OWB system.   Boiler is located maybe 10 to 15 feet below highest point in the supply line.

Thanks

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Is an air eliminator needed on an open OWB install.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:34:31 AM »

No it is not needed on an open system and with 15 feet of piping above your boiler I would bet you are getting air trapped in the top rooms, right. Air vents only work on presssurized systems.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

vogelkj2001

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »

No it is not needed on an open system and with 15 feet of piping above your boiler I would bet you are getting air trapped in the top rooms, right. Air vents only work on presssurized systems.

Actually, just getting ready to hook everything up for the first time.   Have a P&M 3444 about 60 feet from the side of the garage and about 4 feet below the house/garage slab level.   ... running 1-1/4" rehau in the ground to the side side of the garage... then thru the wall and up the inside of the wall 9' and 30' across the ceiling the mechanical room.. down about 3 feet to the fphe for domestic hot water... then over to the fphe for the in floor heat....then up and return to P&M 3444.

I figure now is the best time to ask this question.   I am still ok without and air eliminator in this design? 

Thanks

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:46:57 AM »

I think I would install the first plate exchanger before the first vertical rise up the wall and pressurize the everything beyond that point, there a bottle vent will help to eliminate air in a high spot.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.