Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Collection of information: Combustion, gasification, wood heat and boilers.  (Read 13744 times)

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile

And yet another... I'm starting to feel like maybe I should contact a publisher.... ^-^

Not the first time its crossed my mind either.....
Sorry, but book has been done. Most HVAC/refrigeration student learns  these calcs. early on. That and probably alot of computer programs already written to do the calcs for you. Good job absorbing the info though. As I get older, I remember the single most important thing my instructors instilled in my brain FOREVER, "K.I.S.S." The simpler, the better.

peacmar

• View Profile

I'm aware of the many books that are out there, and have dabbled in hvac myself. Enough to have been told your not aloud to do that yourself by a professional who in my opinion didn't even fully understand the technical aspects of why he was doing it. Couldn't even discuss it for that matter. But that's besides the point I guess. My goal for writing this information, and having the thought of one day making some sort of manual, or hand book out of it. Is to save the average individual, one who doesn't have the means to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on many manuals and books and documents, or One who doesn't have a technical background or degrees or schooling or anything of the sort, the hassle of having to invest so much in designing a wood burning boiler. Most people who take the DIY route do so for a number of reasons, but generally finances is the number one. The sense of satisfaction is the end result. For those of us who build and create our own projects, we can think back to a time when something went wrong, and we had to rely on ourselves alone to remedy it. For a special few, it is like a spark that leads to a life long process of building, wrenching, welding, whatever it may be. Nonetheless, it is the reson most people like to do things themselves without relying on somebody else. It allows you to he creative, saves money, and rewards with satisfaction of completion. Yes, there are many ppl with schooling and technical training. But my personal experience with them when you ask questions of them is almost always "you can't do that, you need to hire a professional" which is very frustrating to a person like myself. that along with almost a decade of building large equipment and installing it and the people of "trade" I have met I have come to the conclusion that nobody likes to share. They're all greedy with their knowledge. I, on the other hand believe just the opposite. Knowledge and experience are things that should be freely shared by all. The world would be a better place if everyone would share. The internet has done some good in this department, and makes all sorts of  knowledge available to everybody.

But back to my original point.... if someone who feels that heAting there home with an OWB is a wise thing to do, for whatever the reason may be, and then decides to build their own, for whatever the reason may be. Then I hope I can share with them what I have spent much effort researching and experimenting, and testing, and allow them to make educated decisions while they plan and construct their OWB. While having it all in one place, and easily accessible. Also, because of years of uneducated builders and users, there are areas that are coming down on the use of OWB for polution reasons. So if more people have the information available to maximize efficiency then hopefully there are less ppl looking down upon us for how we heat our home.

Yes there are programs that can model and compute the function of a wood burner. I could open up solidworks and do it myself right now. But again, the average individual does not have access to such things on a regular basis. So if I can give them what they need because I have it to share, ill go to bed happy knowing I was able to help somebody help their self And know that they will pass it on to the next and do the same.

As my grandfather always told me: "do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again"

jackel440

• View Profile

:post:
I have to say I wish I had known you a couple years ago while I was trying to design and then eventually build my OWB.
I am trying to figure out head pressure in my shop floor so I can buy the correct pump.Need your post on that subject right now. ;)
I hope you document your future build like I did when i built my gasifier.
Now just what kind of dragster are you building? All I can say is Mopar or no car,but I won't hold it against you. ;D
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

peacmar

• View Profile

I actually am a mopar man myself. Except my personal ride doesn't fall into the "typical" category. It is full blooded mopar though, normal Illinois plant diamond star motors. My pride and joy is a 99 Mitsubishi eclipse. Broke the 10 second barrier two summers ago and been a project since. I build front wheel.drive dragsters to be exact. yeah laugh it up I'm used to it. I do.everything from engine builds, to chassis design and fab, to offering dynotuning services. Although I don't have one ofrhose yet so have an agreement with a local shop. But I still.play with the big boys toys too. Built a twin turbo small block Chevy couple years ago running on fast efi.900 HP at the crank and could get 22 mpg in a tubbed and tube malibu >:D

peacmar

• View Profile

Here is the pump sizing info I believe to be the most accurate.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/content/how-size-circulator-pump

Not sure how much I'm going to be able to work on this the next couple days. My 144" track and all my other parts for the sled showed up this morning. Doing a top to bottom overhaul of the whole sled and hoping to get my new tunnel built by Dec  so gotta get a good head start  ;D

peacmar

• View Profile

I'm going to start dating my entries as I add and edit info so anybody who checks on this from time to time as well as myself will have an easier time navigating through and can find anything new as I edit more often than post so this doesn't always bump to the top. Hopefully this makes for easier reading also as I jump around adding here and there as I go ???

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile

Great idea peacmar, I am sure this will help me LOL
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

rosewood

• View Profile

hey peacmar,doing a stretch on a old rxl..136'' myself ..less then a month away for the sled season!

peacmar

• View Profile

Had a 136 on the mxz the last couple years and was a big improvement but since I'm building a 809 triple for next year and need a new track this year figured might as well step it up again. New tunnel is gonna be 3/4" chromoly exo-skeleton cuz I keep bending the formed aluminum ones on the hills but not sure ill have it ready for snow. Just may bend up one more aluminum one for this year again.

I'll get back to this. Just gotta get my toy ready so the wife won't have to go riding alone ;D

peacmar

• View Profile

Bringing this back topside again, gotta read through it and pick up where I left off. There is much to add yet and soon ill be presenting real life examples with my current project. Three gasifiers at once, hoping to achieve 80% efficiency and almost 90% with the add on condensor. Digital controls eventually with oxygen sensor to boot.

skorpyd

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Code name "Woody"
    • View Profile

Just ran across this and thanks for the info.   Any updates and pics or drawings of the gasifiers.   

peacmar

• View Profile

Not many pics of my old projects exist any more, they where on my old laptop with no backup made and that hard drive crapped out on me. I have pics in another thread of my latest design as it is still in progress. I want to finish up this informational thread on of these days but have been hard pressed for time. once I'm done building that project ill get back to this one.
Pages: 1 [2]