Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: E-Classic 2400 with low water temperature  (Read 7107 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: E-Classic 2400 with low water temperature
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 11:15:23 PM »

wreckit ralph, err I mean wreckit87 has ran into this before as well. Believe his solution was to add a shunt pump.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Farmer Bob

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »

I haven't been checking the temperature of my return run, but I will check it in the next few days.  When I last checked, with no load, it was only a degree or two loss.  I have been taking my outlet temperatures right at the outlet pipe (can you see the photo that I tried to post? I have drain valves plumbed so I can shut off circulation and draw hot water just as it leaves the tank), before any circulation to the house; this way any heat drop in the line (by house demand or loss in general) is not a factor.  I do not have the thermostatic valve installed.

A comment made by E Yoder earlier got me thinking that maybe CB was counting on the pump driven circulation to the house to contribute in moving the water from the heated side to the outlet side within the tank.  I have been running a Taco 009 pump for house circulation, and that is a relatively low volume pump.  I have installed a Taco 011 (as seen in my photo) that does shunt outlet water to the return port.  This additional tank circulation resulted in a minimal increase in outlet temperature.

I have previously checked the FireStar temperature reading and accepted it as accurate, guess it is time to recheck it.

Your comment regarding a wet fire box with a 185 setpoint and dry at 190 . . .  a change I will make after I get my temperature issue resolved.   THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR INSIGHTS AND COMMENTS.

Farmer Bob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 07:31:27 AM »

FOLLOW-UP and Maybe a CONCLUSION:  Previously I had checked the Water Temperature TC and concluded that it was working correctly.  My mistake was assuming that the Firestar Controller was also good.  Big Mistake on my part.  The Firestar displayed 185 degrees when the TC was actually seeing 165 degree tank water temperature.  I talked with CB regarding the controller discrepancy and was told that the unit does have a programable +/- 10 degree offset (as Boilerman had mentioned), but 20 degrees was extreme and suggested replacing the Firestar Controller.  A new one is being shipped.

My THANKS to all who contributed suggestions and all who followed along with my issue.  Also my THANKS to CB and my dealer for their inputs and thoughts.  I'll let you know how the new Firestar works out.  Bob

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »

FOLLOW-UP and Maybe a CONCLUSION:  Previously I had checked the Water Temperature TC and concluded that it was working correctly.  My mistake was assuming that the Firestar Controller was also good.  Big Mistake on my part.  The Firestar displayed 185 degrees when the TC was actually seeing 165 degree tank water temperature.  I talked with CB regarding the controller discrepancy and was told that the unit does have a programable +/- 10 degree offset (as Boilerman had mentioned), but 20 degrees was extreme and suggested replacing the Firestar Controller.  A new one is being shipped.

My THANKS to all who contributed suggestions and all who followed along with my issue.  Also my THANKS to CB and my dealer for their inputs and thoughts.  I'll let you know how the new Firestar works out.  Bob

Bob - Thanks for the update.  I hope it solves your problem.   Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Farmer Bob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 12:57:30 PM »

Well,  . . .  I received the new FireStar II Controller from CB . . .  got it installed  . . .  the FireStar indicated temperature read 185 . . the actual water temperature was 162.  I have spent a huge amount of time on the phone with CB; and they and I have come to the conclusion that this is just the personality of my boiler.  I am running the controller with a -10 degree offset, I have re-installed my original FireStar, and the replacement FireStar is being returned. 

My THANKS to the team at CB and to the folks here at ODWFI.  Hey, I have a furnace with a personality   :)   Bob
Pages: 1 [2]