Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blower fan  (Read 8600 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Blower fan
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »

So you're thinking that if I open the smoke bypass while the stove is in a full burn cycle the heat & flames are causing the fan motor to get too hot. I would think since the fan is pulling in fresh cool air that is going across the motor that would not be the case plus it should be blowing the flames up the flue and not toward the fan. But for now I'll take your advice and try to load the stove when it's not in a full burn cycle to get long life out of my new fan motor.  I am leaning more toward the lack of good quality of the Fasco motor but I'm no expert. Thanks for the advice.

And where is it getting this cool fresh air? If you have any kind of fire in the top at all, exhaust temps can spike pretty quick with the bypass open.

3 years on my fasco fan motor so far.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:34:39 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

deew2525

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »

I thought that the stove pulled fresh air  in through the back door vent and pvc tube that surrounds the fan motor so if its 20 or 40  degrees outside it would be cool air wouldn't it? Looks like there should have been some mention of this in the Heatmaster owners manual. Good thing there is a web site like this with this info. I just don't wanna loose another fan motor. I had a Hardy stove 16 years and replaced the fan once! Sometimes in morning before work I have no choice but to load the stove in a burn cycle.  Again thanks for info.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »

If you see flames going up into the bypass, close it. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
If it is burned down to coals and in a heat cycle, I like to load better with the bypass closed anyway. When you rake the coals over the nozzle, you can easily tell if any of it is plugged with ash if it isn't glowing bright orange.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 09:08:50 PM »

I thought that the stove pulled fresh air  in through the back door vent and pvc tube that surrounds the fan motor so if its 20 or 40  degrees outside it would be cool air wouldn't it? Looks like there should have been some mention of this in the Heatmaster owners manual. Good thing there is a web site like this with this info. I just don't wanna loose another fan motor. I had a Hardy stove 16 years and replaced the fan once! Sometimes in morning before work I have no choice but to load the stove in a burn cycle.  Again thanks for info.

The cool air from the rear is too cool the windings in the motor, doesn’t really have anyway to get to the bearings/bushings in the motor, so like RSI pointed out, if flames are getting sucked out the bypass temperatures can spike pretty quick.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 10:19:11 PM »

The cool/cold outside air through the rear vent does cool off the entire motor including the bearings as the entire motor is separated from the flue gas by the mounting plate. The problem is that high temps from the flue gas will transfer heat through the blower wheel and motor shaft to the inner bearing. This bearing receives more heat anyway during normal operation. This is why most high efficiency furnaces have gone to incorporating a cooling fan on the shaft just behind the inner bearing to cool it. I'm on my 3rd season and so far so good but I do have a backup if needed. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 04:09:00 AM »

You are right Schoppy, the bearing cooling air is brought in through that retrofit air cooling tube that needed to be added because the air in the back of the boiler reaches and maintains 180 degrees f but the motor is rated for no more than 140 degrees f if I remember correctly. It seems that somebody didn’t think that one out to well!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.
Pages: 1 [2]