Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Replace or repair refractory nozzle?  (Read 6968 times)

dlabrie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Replace or repair refractory nozzle?
« on: December 08, 2018, 06:42:36 AM »

I just started the 3rd season on my G-200 and a chunk about the size of a softball broke out of the refractory nozzle into the gasifier chamber. I believe from what I've read that it is replaceable. I hate to shut it down to replace it during the winter. Is there anything I can do to get it through the winter and fix it at the end of the winter? Does anyone know the exact size of the nozzle opening? Maybe I could use a piece of steel over the opening as a temporary fix.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:39:53 AM by dlabrie »

dlabrie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Replace or repair refractory nozzle?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »

I can't for the life of me figure out how to post pictures. So here is a link to picts of the broken refractory.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155752765067115&type=1&l=5237ef60ec

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »

A piece of steel plate a minimum of 1/2” certainly could be used temporarily as long as the broken piece doesn’t affect gassing. I don’t have a new G here at the moment to get a dimension from.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

dlabrie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »

Should the Refractory be cracking and falling apart after 2 years's use? Is this normal wear for a g-200?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »

It is not normal but I have seen it happen before. I think they improved the mixture a lot since then too. It should be covered under warranty so I would let your dealer know about it right away. It is not an easy item to ship without UPS breaking it so getting it ordered before your dealer has more stoves comes in would be the best option.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:35:30 PM »

There are four separate pieces of refractory in the bottom of the G200 primary burn chamber. My center 2 pieces broke apart at the end of my second season and they did replace them under warranty. I would get the refractory and change them out instead of a temporary fix.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 03:38:02 AM »

The two center pieces by the nozzle are tapered and lift out. If you call them with your serial # they should be able to send new ones to drop in.
Not difficult at all.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

dlabrie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 05:46:42 AM »

The two center pieces by the nozzle are tapered and lift out. If you call them with your serial # they should be able to send new ones to drop in.
Not difficult at all.
Thanks.
So,do you just reach through the nozzle and lift?

I have contacted Heatmaster via email and sent them pictures. I am still waiting for a reply.

dlabrie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 05:47:09 AM »

It is not normal but I have seen it happen before. I think they improved the mixture a lot since then too. It should be covered under warranty so I would let your dealer know about it right away. It is not an easy item to ship without UPS breaking it so getting it ordered before your dealer has more stoves comes in would be the best option.
My 'local' dealer lives many hours away in the next state, so I am hoping they will send them to me.

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 02:42:05 AM »

Yes, just lift. If it has creosote run in the cracks it might take a bit more prying tho. Am I right RSI? Its been so long since I've pulled one I have to really think.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

dlabrie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »

I heard back from the folks at Heatmaster and they are going to send me a replacement brick. There is now a dealer nearby and they are going to ship it to him in January with a shipment of stoves.

Thanks for all of your insight. I'll post again when the brick arrives.

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »

Yes, just lift. If it has creosote run in the cracks it might take a bit more prying tho. Am I right RSI? Its been so long since I've pulled one I have to really think.
I haven't had to take any out in a long time either so not sure. The last replacements I had here were for schoppy and he just picked them up and put them in himself.

It is good you can get them shipped to a local dealer.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »

If yours are breaking apart like mine were they should come out pretty easy, in pieces. You will need to clean out all the ash from the bottom before removing the old ones and then again after you take them out. This will allow the easy installation of the new ones. The new ones also come with plugs (some type of fireproof material I'm guessing) in the outer holes and these should be left in place. When setting the new pieces, go slow and easy so you don't chip or crack off pieces of the new brick. They have beveled ends so you need to align them in the bottom and keep them tight together against each other so the gasser slot is as small as it can be. You will see that they need to be installed with the air channels lined up with the front block but that is a no brainer. 

Heatmaster sent me all four pieces for the bottom but my front and back pieces were ok so I left them in place and now I have spares for those.   
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

dlabrie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 06:25:30 AM »

So I contacted HeatMaster again on 1/28 for an update on when to expect the new bottom bricks; they were due to arrive in January. They replied that they forgot to put them on the truck with the furnaces headed to NH. They said they would pack and ship them asap. I have since put a piece of old 3/4 in galvanized mesh over the opening to cut down on the coals and ashes falling through.

dlabrie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 10:59:21 AM »

I finally got the replacement bricks yesterday, 3/1/19. I removed the old bricks; they broke into softball sized pieces. When I tried to install the new bricks they were too big! Now I was worried. It was supposed to get down to -3F that night. I called Heatmaster and explained my situation. Colin, at HM, got right on it. He contacted the local rep and had him come and cut the bricks down to size so I could get by until the correct size bricks could be sent out. The old bricks were straight sided, the new model design flares out. They had me up and running by 5pm. Kudos to the HM team!

When I took out the bricks that form the nozzle, the round bottom chamber started to fall apart. I  asked HM if they would send me those bricks with the new replacement nozzle bricks as they were as defective as the others.

Here are some picts of the removal process.

I used a 2by to push the nozzel bricks up from below.

The bricks being pushed up from below.

This is all that was left

There is insulation stuffed in outboard side of the holes. I used some rockwool in the new ones.

Notice the flared sides. The old ones were straight up from the short point.

Each side of the u-shaped combustion chamber broke out like this.

Pages: [1] 2