Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: General plumbing questions from Newbie  (Read 3047 times)

sammy

• View Profile
General plumbing questions from Newbie
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:45:29 AM »

Hey Guys,
I'm new to OWB and getting ready to purchase one.  Couple questions.  My OWB will be about 75 feet from hookup to existing propane boiler.  I also want to hook up to my hot water tank.  The hot water tank is about 50 more feet past my propane boiler.  I also have a smaller hot water tank that is plumbed into the kitchen which is near the boiler.  What would be the best piping setup her.  Here is a little diagram to help

OWB--75ft--to-----Propane boiler----14 ft-to----small hot water tank---35 ft--to main hot water tank

I also have a pool that is about 75 ft from OWB in same direction of propane boiler that I would like to hook up at some time

Also, my house is two-story.  I have read that the OWB needs to be at least level with the highest most point of circulation in the house for it to work.  I am using hydronic baseboards thru the entire house.  Is this true or just go with a bigger pump

Thanks for any info

ckbetz

• View Profile
Re: General plumbing questions from Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:03:30 AM »

You can easily get a bigger pump to get your water up to the second level in your home (say a taco 011).  As far as the best piping setup, you can go to some of the OWB websites and they can give you some diagrams to help you get started and you can adapt them for what you have.  Generally they recommend you putting your water heater first and hooking your furnace in series but it sounds like it would be hard to accomplish that with what you have.  There are many factors that include pipe size, flow rate, and insulation that will effect your system that you'll need to look into.  I think like Willie G. an important thing to do is run a heat loss calc on your house before you buy anything so you'll know just exactly how many btu's you'll need...

Check taco's website for pump sizing, they do a pretty good job of providing charts to show exactly what pump fits your application.
Pomeroy, Ohio