Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Info on how to set up my burner - Damper settings etc. NEWBIE  (Read 3214 times)

Darklegend

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ??
    • View Profile
Info on how to set up my burner - Damper settings etc. NEWBIE
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »

Hi, we have moved into a new house with an existing Outdoor wood furnance as a backup to the oil fired boiler.

I have no paperwork for it and there are no manufacturer's marks to research it so i'm feeling in the dark on how best to operate it.

There are 2 dampers on the inlet and a flue damper on the rear exit flue. The bottom damper feeds air into a 'half pipe' grill arrangement beneath the wood and the top damper feeds the main chamber. It seems to have an analog control system comprising a bourdon tube and some plug chain. As it warms up the dampers close as it cools they open. See pics

I've got it heating the house but it needs regular attention to keep it going and i'm thinking I should be able to leave something of this size for at least 8 or 9 hours without having to mess with it.

I've been lighting a fire at the front with paper and kindling with pallet wood to get a burn going and then feeding in a few large-ish logs ( seasoned Pine and willow is what i've got to hand currently, possibly part of the problem) Opening all dampers up full bore to get it roaring and get everything caught and then 20 mins later damping down with the flue damper to around 1/4 open followed by the inlets to a setting i've come to by trial and error that seems to give some sort of balance between loosing temp and chewing through wood.

Is there a reference guide somewehere to help explain how the dampers effect the burn, techniques to get a longer burn / more stable burn.

Looking at the pics and reading the info i've put up, anyone have any tips? Do you think it's possible to attain my goal of loading once in morning before work and once again 8 or 9 hours later for the evening? Do i need to be looking for oak or similar to improve my chances, retrofitting some sort of electronic control instead of the analog setup (degree qualified Electronic Engineer so I think I could attempt a PID / servo setup if required)

Any help or critique gratefully received!

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Re: Info on how to set up my burner - Damper settings etc. NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »

The first thing I would do is get (like you said) some oak, hickory or ash.  The two kinds of wood you are burning are in my opinion, the worst for holding a fire that I can think of.

Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

Darklegend

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:40:10 AM »

I've had a message suggesting a powered blower which I hadn't considered. Anyone DIY'ed one of these before and have any links?

Do you need to adjust the flue damper in conjunction with a blower or is it just set and forget?

I'll try and get some oak or similar and see how that affects burn times and heat output.

The property is surrounded by willow trees so I have quite a lot cut and it's free. I also have quite a lot of Leylandii from about 5 40ft trees cut down last year so seasoned just over 1 year now.

My father has about 14 acres with varied woodland on it so i'll see what he has that's a bit more suited, hickory, ash etc. There's not much Oak I know...

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »

Hi, we have moved into a new house with an existing Outdoor wood furnance as a backup to the oil fired boiler.

I have no paperwork for it and there are no manufacturer's marks to research it so i'm feeling in the dark on how best to operate it.

There are 2 dampers on the inlet and a flue damper on the rear exit flue. The bottom damper feeds air into a 'half pipe' grill arrangement beneath the wood and the top damper feeds the main chamber. It seems to have an analog control system comprising a bourdon tube and some plug chain. As it warms up the dampers close as it cools they open. See pics

I've got it heating the house but it needs regular attention to keep it going and i'm thinking I should be able to leave something of this size for at least 8 or 9 hours without having to mess with it.

I've been lighting a fire at the front with paper and kindling with pallet wood to get a burn going and then feeding in a few large-ish logs ( seasoned Pine and willow is what i've got to hand currently, possibly part of the problem) Opening all dampers up full bore to get it roaring and get everything caught and then 20 mins later damping down with the flue damper to around 1/4 open followed by the inlets to a setting i've come to by trial and error that seems to give some sort of balance between loosing temp and chewing through wood.

Is there a reference guide somewehere to help explain how the dampers effect the burn, techniques to get a longer burn / more stable burn.

Looking at the pics and reading the info i've put up, anyone have any tips? Do you think it's possible to attain my goal of loading once in morning before work and once again 8 or 9 hours later for the evening? Do i need to be looking for oak or similar to improve my chances, retrofitting some sort of electronic control instead of the analog setup (degree qualified Electronic Engineer so I think I could attempt a PID / servo setup if required)

Any help or critique gratefully received!
do you do the draft now manualy? you can get a 24 volt converter to go from 110 to 24v.. buy a 24 volt motor and run it threw the aquastat, that way when it calls for heat it opens and when it is up to temp it closes.... make some brackets of the dradt flap and to hold tiny 24 volt motor and your good to go.....
kelly
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

Darklegend

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

Yes it's all manual currently.

Today I hooked the pump up to a stat on the hot outlet pipe so that the pump comes on about 60C and is off under 60. This seems to have greatly stabilised the system. I can set a temp and it will pretty much hold it now. Didn't notice the house radiators getting cold at any point and it's been below freezing a few times today. Still required a visit every couple of hours to load a couple of logs. Perhaps I should stack it full to the brim first thing tomorrow and time how long it will last.

Long term a blower or servo / motor on the dampers looks the way to go.