Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

Are prior or previous owners of Hawken happy with their OWB?

yes
- 14 (56%)
no
- 11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Pleased with Hawken?  (Read 30386 times)

Outdoor Wood Furnace Info

• Administrator
  • Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Pleased with Hawken?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »

This is an interesting thread.  I received a "Report" from "Puzzled Owner" stating that he was the creator of this post and that Hawken was very responsible in taking care of him and that he would like to have this post removed permanently.  He sounded like he regretted making the post too hastily felt badly for speaking ill of Hawken. 

I did NOT remove the post!  I have not removed any posts and do not plan to do so unless I get reports of outright vulgarity or other blatant violations.  I hope those are rare.  It appears that "Puzzled Owner" figured out how to remove the post himself. 

My question to you more regular members is this...if a member contacts me and wants me to remove their own post, should I honor such requests, or deny that request as I did here, and force them to explain themselves or figure it out on their own?  Is there an established practice for this?  By the way, I appreciate the way you all run this site.  It has been a real pleasure reading your posts and seeing how you all support each other.  This forum is very much a class act!

puzzled owner

• OWF Brand: Hawken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »

Just for clarification;

I made the posts and am responsible enough to admit that the timeline I granted Hawken for resolution was not proper.  I expected much more from them than what most would deem resonable.  They have taken very good care of me and I do regret the tone and connotations that were presented in the posts. 

I used this forum to help me make my decisions when I started considering an outdoor wood furnace.

I chose to remove the posts because Hawken did exactly what they promised when I bought the stove, and that was to stand behind their product and make sure I am 100% happy.  I felt that the posts would not accurately represent the efforts made by the employees of Hawken and it was unfair to leave that information posted.  These forums are an awesome tool and I like to do my part in keeping the information unbiased and honest.  I did allow some of my frustration to come out in my explanation of the situation and am man enough to admit I was wrong and apologize. 

I always try to take internet research and reviews into perspective.  The happy customers are not the loud ones, it is the unhappy customers that are the most vocal.  I regret the way I portrayed Hawken Energy and am completely willing to make sure everyone knows that.  I am saving money and staying warm, and glad that I chose Hawken.  The recent weeks have been aggravating, but Hawken stood behind their unit and took care of me.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 05:16:53 PM »

Could you explain the issue you had and how the issue was resolved?
Thank you
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

puzzled owner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »

It was a few isses all working together and against me.  I had an airflow problem that was not obvious to myself.  I did not know but underneath there are more channels that the fan forces air through, this feeds both the firebox and the secondary burn chamber.  I also had a converter that was not as clean as it should of been.  The biggest thing was a fan that was not handling the load of the stove.  It would gassify but not the intense strong burn that it needs.  This allowed the stove to sit in an idle pattern where it would not run in the normal ranges.  Not sure if it made a difference but I had a wire end on the solenoid that I replaced due to a suspected loose connection.  Once I received a replacement fan and came up with some modified cleaning tools and performed a very thorough cleaning the stove operates. 

I apologize again for how this whole story unfolded.  I know how it looks to an outsider, but I felt it more important to do the right thing and make sure people were not incorrectly informed based on my posts and frustrations.  It is funny how your perspective changes after a situation takes place.  You can take it for what you want, but I am trying to do the right thing.  If you want to believe there is something weird or fishy going on, go for it, thats your right.

Information on this website and others like it should be informational and unbiased.  I wrote those posts when I was extremely frustrated and it was not fair.  I appreciate all the offers of help and information and that is what led to a solution to my problems.  Thanks for all of the help and I am sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »

I'm glad you got it figured out.  However I feel you didn't have to remove, that's just my opinion and dont mean much but it's good for folks to read and learn and see the whole story, it would have only been wrong of you if they would have fixed it and then not came back and told everyone hey they too care of me! 

We all get excited and that's part of it. But I understand your thoughts but as long as you told the whole story I feel it was fine
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 09:38:20 PM »

I agree with Scott
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

ready4more72

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

We purchased a HE2100 in 2012 and have had nothing but problems with it. The woodstove will not do what it is rated to do. They state that it will heat 10,000 sq. ft. You will be lucky to have it heat half that! We have had some other warranty issues and the company after speaking to our dealer refuses to honor there warranty.

joehawken

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: GX10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »

Wow - I cannot believe this one.  I voted yes and because I work for Hawken, what else would I vote  If I worked for or sold a competitors product I think I might just vote no.  I would guess from these results that there are alot of people voting to make us look bad.  Therefore I suggest two things - first remove or disallow any such poll, unless it can be proven credible.  Second, if you are sincere and really have an issue with your furnace - call us.  I have never seen a valid complaint that has not been handled.  I must say, there are some customers that cannot be pleased, but this has been in any company I have worked for.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »

i dont own a hawken, i dont even own a store built OWB but i would say  by the size of the fire box ,it could very well heat 10,000 square feet if certain conditions are met....1 the  buildings(s) being heated are well insulated ..2 the OWB is not too far from the building (s)...3 the  underground lines are of sufficient size to carry the btu required ...4 the pump is sized to match the "head loss of the gpm needed to deliver the proper amount of btu to the heat exchangers...5 the heat exchangers are sized to give up the amount of btu per hour needed ...6 the blower (if it is a hot air system) can move the amount of air required to account for the heat loss of the area to be heated.

don't jsut blame a stove becasue it isnt doing the job...there are many things to consider and if you did not have a pro install your stove (or if self installed) then perhaps some of the things i mentioned above have not been taken into consideration
lets look at just pipes for a second....an OWB  with 1 inch pipes say 200 feet from the house with a taco 0011 pump  (for fun we will say) can deliver 6 gpm to yoru home. at 180 degree water that will beabout 60,000 bty per hour...now the  same stove...the same pump and the same distance from the house BUT with 1.25 inch pipe you will deliver about 13 gpm and at 180 degrees that will be 130,000 btu per hour so if you had the 1 inch lines and the stove would not keep up.....it is not the stove's fault
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ready4more72

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »

I've heard conflicting reviews on Hawken OWB's.  Most have been good but the ones that are bad have been real bad.  I want to see the number of people who are happy with Hawken vs. the number who aren't.  Thanks

Hey man, do you think this is a fair forum??  How can you verify if these people voting own a Hawken.  This site is full of OWB dealers and therefore this poll is total BS.
I could easily change the results, by making all my dealers and employees register and vote.  But I am not going to wast their time or mine.
GOOD DAY, I SAID GOOD DAY

That is interesting that you would say that because Hawken is directing people and workers to come here and vote from Facebook. We are owners of the junk you sell and DON'T stand behind. We have called and tried to have ours fixed and the company will not stand behind the warranty. Anyone who openly complains on Facebook you delete. I have also found complaints with the BBB. These complaints are all recent not from years ago when you had issue with your old product line.  Our stove is defective and will NOT heat what you state it will. We have even had it set so it would only heat one building and it can’t even do that! These are well insulated buildings.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »

I've heard conflicting reviews on Hawken OWB's.  Most have been good but the ones that are bad have been real bad.  I want to see the number of people who are happy with Hawken vs. the number who aren't.  Thanks

Hey man, do you think this is a fair forum??  How can you verify if these people voting own a Hawken.  This site is full of OWB dealers and therefore this poll is total BS.
I could easily change the results, by making all my dealers and employees register and vote.  But I am not going to wast their time or mine.
GOOD DAY, I SAID GOOD DAY

Yes i think this is a fair forum, there are only 2-3 dealers on this forum, all of which dedicate there time to help anyone here, regardless of the brand. 

The people here aren't dumb either, they likely wont take to well for someone calling for the infringement of there 1st amendment rights over a poll in which you did not agree.  I consider myself friends with a lot of folks on here and have met many, it's a good group of guys and a group I'm proud to be in. 

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »

Scott is right on. Anyone who is seriously researching will take a solid look at past postings and get a good feel for who is trustworthy and who is full of hot water (pun intended.)  Anyone who makes a decision as large as a boiler based on 1 single poll at the top of a forum gets what they get. Another thing I've learned is that the little stars next to your name mean something. If you sign up and your first post is bashing our spouting off about a subject, you will not be taken seriously. (not saying you were spouting)  There are good guys on here who have earned the respect of the majority of the regulars on here for a good reason.

John
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

joehawken

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: GX10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 06:40:38 AM »

Ok, I’ve been put in my place.  I’d like to start by retracting what I’ve said about this poll - I even removed my annoyed by poll comment.  I see that it could be abused but after reading around this site some more I’ve seen that it can be very fair and, as CountryBoyJohn points out, if “your first post is bashing our spouting off about a subject, you will not be taken seriously.”  I don’t want to impose on anyone’s 1st amendment rights Scott7m.  I can agree with numerous posts I’ve seen that simply ask for the full story.

There are always going to be customers that cannot be satisfied.  Sometimes they’re to blame, sometimes they are not.  I know that Hawken does everything in its power to satisfy customers.  That power is limited though.

I also agree with WillieG, sometimes the installation choices were not correct.  Square footage and BTU requirements are not the same thing.  Ready2More72 and for the benefit of everyone else reading this, we are aware of your situation. I’ve spoken to the gentleman who visited your facility from Hawken Energy and to the dealer who sold you the unit.  When they were there he was told that the house was heating fine, that’s not the issue.  The issues you had were with the tall and spacious garage business you’re trying to heat.  Your Delta-T at that time was over 30 degrees F.  That’s a huge heat loss, as you were told.  He also told you that you needed more vertical insulation around the foundation.  I’m sure there are others here, and information at wattsradiant.com that was shared with you, that can support this statement.  Vertical insulation around a slab needs to extend below the frost line to prevent heat loss from the slab into the earth.

As WillieG said above, “There are many things to consider and if you did not have a pro install your stove then perhaps some of the things mentioned above have not been taken into consideration.”   I believe I was told that you had a plumber install your radiant system.  Did he do a heat loss calculation?  Did he tell you what size pipe you needed to feed the proper BTU’s or how many gallons per minute it would need?  I kind of doubt he did – no professional installer would forget to install the proper insulation, and get the heat loss calculation THAT far off.  The Hawken company rep who visited your facility from their headquarters on a 25 degree day even noted that the ground all around your building was 5-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the earth, and that all the snow around your building was melted for six feet in every direction, even on the North side out of the sun and wind.  If you were burning propane, you would be spending at least $1000 per week to heat that building, and the earth around it.

I’ve been working with Hawken for well over a year now and I’ve seen how they operate.  They genuinely care about keeping customers happy and try to help. As stated above, some customers can’t be helped.  The HE-2100 operates as it should.  The issues are with the installation and construction, something Hawken Energy had nothing to do with.

ready4more72

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »

Could someone please tell me how to post pictures?

Joe Your information is not correct. When my husband has time he will come on and explain things more clearly so you have a better picture of the situation.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »

Much more respectable reply joe  :thumbup:

To add pics to the forum I upload to photobucket and then put the links on here... 
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6