Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My Stove Journey  (Read 13535 times)

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
My Stove Journey
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »

Greetings all!  I am well into the process of getting set up with an outdoor wood boiler.  I have been in the process for almost 8 months now.  It has been quite a journey so far and I still have quite a ways to go.  I enjoy sharing my story with others.  I decided I should post it here as well in the hopes that someone else may benefit from it. 

I purchased my house (home details to come later) in May of 2012 and was told my yearly average for my all electric utility bills was $300 per month.  That turned out to be a lie.  My electric bill was $720 for December.  My January bill would've been higher, but we abandoned upstairs and completely shut it down.  Seeing the unaffordable situation I was in, I began researching alternatives.  I ruled out Geotherm as I didn't have $25,000 sitting around, nor did I have the equity to finance it.  I had heard about outdoor wood boilers and began researching.  Much of that research included some of you on this site!  So, in December, I bought a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss and began cutting wood. 

As many of you know, there are quite a few type of boilers out there.  After being overwhelmed with choices, I jotted down all the different features found in OWB's and ranked them in priority.  I decided I wanted a forced air furnace, I wanted stainless steel, I wanted affordability, and I wanted a conventional style.  My house is 3700 sft of living space, 900 sft of garage space, a hot tub, an 18'x36' inground pool.  This space is heated with 3 resistance electric furnaces and 2 electric water heaters.  My insulation is terrible and windows are non-insulated. 

In May, I expanded my wood storage area with 10 tons of gravel.  I felt that the gravel will allow water to drain away and give me a good surface to work on and stack.  I got the gravel spread out and now I have enough room to store as much as 15 cords if I wanted to.  I am currently up to about 8 cords on my way to 10 before heating season starts up.  I live in southwestern Indiana, and based on my research, I am anticipating using between 5 and 7 cords.

Last week I ordered my stove.  I got the Heatmaster MF10,000E.  This stove fit all my criteria in what I was looking for, and met the criteria for the state of Indiana.  Indiana is an EPA Phase II state, but they allow conventional stoves that generate 350,000 BTU.  My demand was such that I needed that type of stove.  My stove will be arriving at the end of this month! 

My design is a bit different that anything I have found on this site, so I am going to share.  I have a main house area that consists of nearly 3,000 sft and a semi-detached garage that includes a bonus room above it.  My stove will be located at the "ground" level behind my garage.  I can't get into the main part of the house at ground level, so my supply/return lines will have to go up and down as much as 10'.  I have attached a plan view PDF and a profile view PDF that shows all this in detail.  My demand is also so high, that I thought it best to run 2 circuits and split the load demand as evenly as possible.  My upstairs furnace and downstairs furnace will be on separate circuits.  My hot tub and pool exchangers will be on separate circuits, so on and so forth.  Spreading the load on 2 circuits will allow me to keep my temps up and not have items at the end of the circuit starving for heat. 

That is my story so far. I plan on updating and loading more pictures as everything progresses.  If you veterans have any comments or suggestions, feel free to PM, e-mail or post.  Newbies with questions, feel free to do the same. 

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: My Stove Journey
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »

Everything looks great!  Its nice to see a plan come together!  This will be the first winter you look forward to and the last one you dread!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »

You will love the stove but you will love the money that it will be saving you!!! Made a awesome choice in stoves the 10000E works great. Will supple you with all the heat you will need.

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:27:14 AM »

Well, another step down!  I got my stove delivered last night!  It is in a temporary resting place until I can get my pad poured. 

2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

I must say that's a good looking stove  :thumbup:

:pic:
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:30:32 AM »

Nothing like a good hoe, mines a 96 cat 416 b with extendahoe and stump bucket, I made up a set of forks that attatch to the three hooks on the top of the bucket and can hook up my nine foot fisher quikswitch municipal blade for really easy snow removal in five minutes. very versatile machines. Oh and nice stove, good luck with your project, burn wood it's good for us all !
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:28:00 AM »

Thanks guys!  The height was all she could handle.  Boom extended, both arms stretched out, barely got it 3" off the truck bed.  I borrowed it from a neighbor down the road.  The rest of my equipment arrives next week!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 06:02:25 AM »

How heavy is the stove, I can't reach high enough for the upper deck on a step deck trailer to pick our units with the weight so I had to build a ramp out  front to unload our units and then I deliver them from here.I just got a load yesterday and placed them on my frontage for display, it was looking pretty bare down there but yesterdays load solved that issue.

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 06:11:45 AM »

I think the stove I got was 2,200 pounds.  Quite a bit lighter than other models because it is stainless steel. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »

Yeah it is lighter, my mainstay is 3100 pounds dry weight. we don't use stainless, some companies have had good luck with it, some not so good, I personnally prefer, 1/4 inch plate, I can weld it myself if need be, anyway good luck on your install if you need any advice on plumbing or electrical just give a shout out as one of us will certainly help, pictures help a lot to understand your project.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »

The MF10,000e is a very good furnace and I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. Let me know if I can help with anything, I work with Heatmaster furnaces every day.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »

Well, I finally started installing my system.  First item of business was my first of 3 water to air heat exchangers.  This one had to go under my main house furnace.  It took 2 of us 2.5 hours to get wrestled in.  I built a frame out of 2x6 lumber and "housed" the exchanger in it so it won't have to bear any weight.  I was lucky to have enough slack in my coolant line to be able to raise the furnace the 6" required to get the new frame and exchanger in. Otherwise, I would've had to call in a pro to extend and refill my coolant line.  My upstairs exchanger should be easier, as I will be able to insert it into the duct work right after the furnace. 

2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 05:51:57 AM »

Got my second exchanger installed last night.  First time for doing sheet metal work.  Only cut myself once.  And it was more like a scratch.  This is the highest point in my circuit and the farthest from my stove.  Should I put some kind of a air release valve on my supply line just before the exchanger?  Also, I hope it will be ok installed vertically like this.  I have never seen anyone do it like this before. 

2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »

Things are looking good, glad your taking the time to do things right!

Looking forward to hearing how you like the 10,000E.  They are definitely a beast of a stove, I love them
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jecole360

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »

Looking good J.P! Wish we lived closer so I could come down to help out with it but it looks like you are doing a great job with the install! Knowing you I have no doubt you've done your research!  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4