Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My Stove Journey  (Read 13534 times)

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Re: My Stove Journey
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 05:32:26 AM »

Well, made some more progress this weekend with some help from my dad.  Running stiff, right out of the box, coiled up pex is definitely a two-man job.  Had to install a rigid PVC pipe to "span" the attic in the breezeway between the house and garage to help feed the pex through.  Ended up working out very well.  Got the rough-in for my downstairs furnace connection and got the upstairs furnace hooked up.  I also got the foundation blocks set and got the stove moved to its final resting place!

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:49 AM »

Another very productive weekend.  Got all my external connections done, minus a few wire nuts for electric.  This portion of the install had me the most anxious.  My stove is close enough to my garage that I don't need to go underground.  I was trying to figure out how to get 4 lines into my garage, above ground!  I had seen a couple ideas here on the site, but I wanted something a little more weather tight.  Well, here is what I came up with.  I wrap each pex line in cellular foam insulation.  I think you guys on here call it frost king.  Then, I zip tied all 4 lines together and fed it through a 6" PVC corrugated pipe.  It worked BEAUTIFULLY!  My other concern was getting the PVC into the garage and be weather proof.  For this, I got a plastic roof flange that is sized for a 4" pipe and cut it back until I could just barely fit my pvc through it.  Again, beautiful!  Add a little foam and silicone, and we're in business!  I also ran my wire from the garage to the unit for power. 

2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »

A few more pictures.

2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »

Well, I had a couple setbacks.  My first problem was trying to apply pressurized plumbing principles to a pump driven return/supply setup that most of our stoves are set up to run on.  Putting a TEE in your supply and a TEE in your return is evidently, not the way to go!  I found out that all of the components serviced by your circuit must be plumbed in series.  Your supply run must feed through each item, one after the other.  The first picture I have attached is how NOT to do it.  The second picture is the correct way to do it.  I have the valves set up so I can bypass this unit in the summertime, if I only want to heat my water or if i need to service that unit. 

I also hooked my water heater up to my plate exchanger.  Had a couple leaks on my threaded fittings.  I returned the fittings and got a different style.  We'll find out this week if it was the fittings or just a rookie wannabe plumber mistake!  I keep thinking I'm going to need to fire it up soon, but the forecasters keep raising the highs and lows right when I'm about to fire it up!  Come on winter already!!

2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 05:18:23 AM »

Got the stove and lines filled with water.  Got the water treatment added.  Air out of the pumps.  Electricity turned on with no zzzzttt sounds.  Got the pumps running to mix up the treatment.  No leaks!!!  Watching the weather.  I'm having some family over on Sunday (Oct. 13) to fire it up!!  So pumped!  Probably could've used some heat this morning.  Upper 40's outside.  With our terrible insulation in the house I think we dipped below 70.  Should be ok this week with highs in the upper 70's.  I think 80's are officially done here in SW Indiana.  Still don't have my hot tub hooked up.  Wanted to get the house ready first. 

Thank you all for your help in this endeavor!  Scott, RSI, slimjim, yoder, kybaseball, I know I'm missing some.  I can't imagine doing my install by myself without all the information I got off of this site.  Thank you all for sticking with this site and making free heat more attainable for guys like me. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

chillyhiker

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood from scott7m
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »

Way to go. Country boy john
..great post...im a few weeks behind you I have the pipe in the ground and have hooked up the 20 plate heat exchanger  that I ordered from Scott77. on the forum here.....250 ft of 3 wrap and exhcanger was in my drive less than 48 hrs after ordering...how cool is thart?  and have the furnace plenium cut out to put the water to air exchanger in. Im like you I cant wait for it all to come together. will pu my stove end of oct. (thats not because Im waiting on Scott, I  wont have all the money till then.) but again congradulations.chilly
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:07 PM »

Got the stove and lines filled with water.  Got the water treatment added.  Air out of the pumps.  Electricity turned on with no zzzzttt sounds.  Got the pumps running to mix up the treatment.  No leaks!!!  Watching the weather.  I'm having some family over on Sunday (Oct. 13) to fire it up!!  So pumped!  Probably could've used some heat this morning.  Upper 40's outside.  With our terrible insulation in the house I think we dipped below 70.  Should be ok this week with highs in the upper 70's.  I think 80's are officially done here in SW Indiana.  Still don't have my hot tub hooked up.  Wanted to get the house ready first. 

Thank you all for your help in this endeavor!  Scott, RSI, slimjim, yoder, kybaseball, I know I'm missing some.  I can't imagine doing my install by myself without all the information I got off of this site.  Thank you all for sticking with this site and making free heat more attainable for guys like me.

Can't wait til you get this beast up and running..    Did u get the envelope I sent ya yet?!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 05:21:06 AM »

Got it!  Thanks Scott!  Sunday is the big day! 

Thanks Chilli!  I was the same way with funding.  Had to limp along and get pieces done as I could afford it.  This winter will be like no other!  WARM!!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 05:51:29 AM »

Welp, fired her up on Sunday!!  Man that felt good!  I started the fire by lighting my $720 electric bill from last December!  Haven't had much of a load on it because it's been in the mid-70's so far this week.  But, I turned off my water heater and have been enjoying the "free" hot water!  Tonight it starts to get cooler.  Highs in the 60's. Yes, my house is so poorly insulated, I need the heat on if one night drops into the low 60's.  Finally got a good coal bed going.  Fires right up each time now.  Didn't really have to relight it but once.  All i did that time was throw in a piece of paper and light it.  I may have jumped the gun a bit by lighting it on Sunday, but I had 2 days off to watch it and nurse it along the initial startup.  And I couldn't bring myself to use the electric furnace even once. 

I tell you what, I was SHOCKED at how little smoke there is!!  I was literally laughing at how little smoke there was!!  It was amazing!  When the fan is firing, all you get it a heat signature.  The only time there is smoke is when it's idle, and all that is, is little wisps that get drawn out by the breeze.  Then obviously when it first fires, it pushes all that smoldering smoke out, but it dissipates in about 60 seconds or so. 

Lot's of happy burning ahead for this guy!!

2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 06:23:38 AM »

I'm glad you got her up and going. It's nice not worrying about the gas or electric bills during winter.

I lit mine Saturday just to check and make sure she was alive. As my wife say the second woman
in our relationship is ready for winter!! I turned on the floor heat Sat night and it ran us out of the house Sunday.

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »

Welp, fired her up on Sunday!!  Man that felt good!  I started the fire by lighting my $720 electric bill from last December!  Haven't had much of a load on it because it's been in the mid-70's so far this week.  But, I turned off my water heater and have been enjoying the "free" hot water!  Tonight it starts to get cooler.  Highs in the 60's. Yes, my house is so poorly insulated, I need the heat on if one night drops into the low 60's.  Finally got a good coal bed going.  Fires right up each time now.  Didn't really have to relight it but once.  All i did that time was throw in a piece of paper and light it.  I may have jumped the gun a bit by lighting it on Sunday, but I had 2 days off to watch it and nurse it along the initial startup.  And I couldn't bring myself to use the electric furnace even once. 

I tell you what, I was SHOCKED at how little smoke there is!!  I was literally laughing at how little smoke there was!!  It was amazing!  When the fan is firing, all you get it a heat signature.  The only time there is smoke is when it's idle, and all that is, is little wisps that get drawn out by the breeze.  Then obviously when it first fires, it pushes all that smoldering smoke out, but it dissipates in about 60 seconds or so. 

Lot's of happy burning ahead for this guy!!

Sounds good, see what I'm saying about proper wood and how these stoves especially the e series produce such little smoke?!  People literally accuse me of not running mine because they don't see smoke, they'll see a hardy down the road smoking up the whole holler and mention it as why they know mines not working, so down to the house we walk to prove it to them lol
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »

Enjoy the warmth.  I'm like Scott; I've been accused of not having mine running due to the lack of smoke.  I've had my neighbor in my basement.   The temp guage in the feed line read 190 degrees and he still didn't believe me so he grabbed the pex from the OWB and he let go rather quickly.
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »

...I started the fire by lighting my $720 electric bill from last December!...

Hahahahaha...that's awesome, congrats!   :thumbup:
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

cartod

• OWF Model: 10,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »

My stove journey has also taken me to the 10,000e and scott has been kind enough to walk me through the process.  I hope to be picking it up soon and look forward to firing up that beast.  How cool to start the fire with a $720 heating bill! :thumbup:

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 05:41:52 AM »

Thanks guys!! 

Well, I had my first experience (experiences) with the all famed "learning curve" this week.  My first full week of burning had its highs and lows (no pun intended.)  I had a boil over on Tuesday.  Not sure what happened.  No doors open, no leaks.  Only thing I can think of is the damper got hung up or something.  Then, Saturday night the fire went out.  I burned completely through my last fill Saturday evening before I went to bed.  I loaded with a bunch of big chunks and the coals couldn't get them going.  Woke up to cool air in registers.  Water temp was 88.  Too little coals and too big of chunks.  So, I spend Sunday nursing my fire back up and getting everything ready again.  I'm ready for some real loads on the thing so I don't have to worry about it as much.  This week should be cooler.  I'm taking the kids out of town for the weekend and my wife will be home to tend to it herself!!  WISH ME LUCK!!  OR HER!!   :-\
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4