Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: looking at a lightly used H-4  (Read 8543 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: looking at a lightly used H-4
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 10:10:35 AM »

For a basement, two stories, and two air handlers I’d run a primary loop, then a secondary loop with a smaller pump to each air handler. Then set it up so you only have hot water to the air handlers on a call for heat.  For your domestic hot water if more than a few people in your household I’d go with a 20 FPH with a mono flo T to direct part of your flow to the FPH. In either case of a sidearm or FPH run your hottest water to that first then the air handlers.

Links to the things I mentioned.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-VU54S2024-Three-way-Fan-Coil-Valve-1-NPT-7-0-Cv

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Legend-Valve-Monoflo1x3-4-1-x-3-4-Copper-Monoflo-Tee-6314000-p

I like the 20 plate from Z supply as it already has two ports reduced to three quarters for connection to your water heater.

http://www.z-supply.com/brazed-plate-heat-exchangers.html
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Farmer Blue

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 08:11:02 PM »

The H4 will supply plenty of hot water. As far as how many pumps, I don't know capacities of each pump. The H4 will heat my house during below zero weather and the return temp. stays around 140. The hardest work the stove does is heating the swimming pool. The water will be cool going back to the stove.
Hardy H4
Stihl 290
Homemade splitter on IH 656

wonderwhy?

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 08:11:33 AM »

Farmer Blue,  how much wood are you burning in a normal winter?  You actually heat a pool?

Farmer Blue

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 08:14:06 PM »

My best guess is I use 2-3 cords a month. Since I am heating the DHW year round, heating the pool is no big deal. It is a 21' pool. I only heat it when someone wants to use it. Trying to keep it in the low eighties to keep Mrs. happy all the time takes to much wood. The heat enchanger is the size of a brick and it will make the stove work. I have made my own manifold using the pool pump to cycle the water through the heat exchanger. I can take the pool from 55 degrees to 80+ in 24-36 hours at the beginning of the season. During the summer you only have to go up from the mid 70's. That can easily be done overnight. I have a good solar cover and during 90 degree daytime temps the pool can get to warm.
Hardy H4
Stihl 290
Homemade splitter on IH 656
Pages: 1 [2]