Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Primary Circulator Size  (Read 1794 times)

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
Primary Circulator Size
« on: January 10, 2017, 06:50:02 AM »

My question is other than the obvious that bigger pumps use more electric is there any other concerns if your circulator is probably larger than what's needed? For instance I have 100' of logstor pipe running to my boiler. I have a Taco 2400-20 WB circulator running my supply \ return loop from the OWB. The circulator is in the basement and probably 6' lower than the connections at the boiler. IMO I think that that circulator is probably way overkill for what it is doing , but is there any harm in leaving it doing it's job? or would downsizing improve anything?
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Primary Circulator Size
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »

Just more power usage and possibly excessive wear on the fittings. Does your G200 have the factory recirc loop in it? If not, you would need to make sure you have enough flow to meet the minimum flow rate. Going to a smaller pump would probably not be enough if this is the only loop.

If you just have 100' of Logstor in the loop, an ECM pump would probably be big enough. (ecm pump would use around 1 kwh per day and the Taco you have probably around 4-5 per day. Here, it costs about 13 cents per kwh in the winter which would be $15 a month if using 4 kwh per day.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
Re: Primary Circulator Size
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:04:13 PM »

I have a 007 on the second set of ports for an internal recirc loop. Some day when I build my garage I'll use that set of ports to heat the garage.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.